Championship wknd Mock OffSeason's V.1 & V.2

GWH87

1 minute ago, GWH87 said:

Was putting an idea out there that hadn't been posted before with the Landry for Cobb piece. I also didn't put this in place to "save us money" I did it to boost the on the field talent @ WR, which we need. Giving up the draft pick "puts Cobb + pick = to receiving Landry or thereabouts"

Pretty certain contract terms can be written creatively to allow destination team absorb what they need to, all depends on how it's written. You don't think the Dolphins would want some sort of security if they knew Landry didn't want to be there any longer? Getting Cobb back assures that, so in the realm of possibilities it can happen, the likely hood however small doesn't matter, why? Because it's a made up mock offseason.

A backups age isn't as crucial as a starters, we all know that especially for a QB. A vet QB also knows how to step in & give us a fighting chance vs a window licker like 7 trying to piece it all together & just not getting it done.

If you look at the mock I did I had the numbers as close to accurate as possible, it's actually around 4.5 we save if we cut Bulaga, I rounded up to 10 because I can for talk sake in a conversation for his overall comp.

I'd rather allow Spriggs to grow into his position & develop into what Bulaga has been. I'd also put my money on a backup QB that's been there to succeed when we need him to, hoping he's not at all needed but it's what keeps us winning games we lost this year rather than rolling the dice with 7.

There's no logic behind the idea of a Sign and Trade in the NFL. NFL players want guaranteed money. The second you trade a player, that guaranteed money hits the cap of the team that's trading him. Why would you sign a guy to a long term deal with high guaranteed money only to trade him away and blow up your cap?

37 minutes ago, Anthony Dilweg said:

This is a difficult one for me to evaluate because I don't even know which university Ryan Fitzpatrick attended.  Not even Google seems to know.

But Wikipedia does - Harvard University.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's no logic behind the idea of a Sign and Trade in the NFL. NFL players want guaranteed money. The second you trade a player, that guaranteed money hits the cap of the team that's trading him. Why would you sign a guy to a long term deal with high guaranteed money only to trade him away and blow up your cap?

If you guarantee the base salary and not put it into SB, it transfers right? Wasn't that how the whole osweiler thing worked?

5 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

If you guarantee the base salary and not put it into SB, it transfers right? Wasn't that how the whole osweiler thing worked?

That may be true, but why would Landry sign a deal like that when he can get a big SB and not have to fuss over the guaranteed base stuff.  

With the ridiculous amount of $$ available, why settle for a contract like that.

IF Landry does sign a deal like that, then GB would be taking on a very big contract AND giving up a pick AND eating some of the cap from Cobb.   There is no reason for GB to make that deal either.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That may be true, but why would Landry sign a deal like that when he can get a big SB and not have to fuss over the guaranteed base stuff.  

With the ridiculous amount of $$ available, why settle for a contract like that.

IF Landry does sign a deal like that, then GB would be taking on a very big contract AND giving up a pick AND eating some of the cap from Cobb.   There is no reason for GB to make that deal either.

Totally agree. I was just sort of thinking about how it could be possible.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Totally agree. I was just sort of thinking about how it could be possible.

It is possible, but very bad decision making for the team acquiring the player.  Just try to sign the player in FA and structure the contract how you want it.  Save the draft pick as well.

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It is possible, but very bad decision making for the team acquiring the player.  Just try to sign the player in FA and structure the contract how you want it.  Save the draft pick as well.

I actually thought he was getting tagged first. 

54 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I actually thought he was getting tagged first. 

This was part of my thought process but I wasn't going to drag out the conversation due to the opposition of the idea.

Landry will get tagged, he doesn't want to play in Miami anymore & the Phins would be smart to tag & then somehow try to trade him.

Let the team he's traded to negotiate the long term contract deal, is it likely? No. Could it be done? Yes.

I felt if we flipped them Cobb & a pick for a disgruntled Landry we could be in the market, 3mil dead from Cobb & +2mil/yr with getting Landry @ 14/yr

It's still a lot tied up in WR I get it but it gives a a great pairing with Tae & Landry (2 Pro Bowl WRs), plus idk if Jordy sticks around beyond 2yrs. This coming yr will tell a lot.

6 hours ago, GWH87 said:

This was part of my thought process but I wasn't going to drag out the conversation due to the opposition of the idea.

Landry will get tagged, he doesn't want to play in Miami anymore & the Phins would be smart to tag & then somehow try to trade him.

Let the team he's traded to negotiate the long term contract deal, is it likely? No. Could it be done? Yes.

I felt if we flipped them Cobb & a pick for a disgruntled Landry we could be in the market, 3mil dead from Cobb & +2mil/yr with getting Landry @ 14/yr

It's still a lot tied up in WR I get it but it gives a a great pairing with Tae & Landry (2 Pro Bowl WRs), plus idk if Jordy sticks around beyond 2yrs. This coming yr will tell a lot.

You think there's a market for Landry at 1/15.39 and that market includes a draft pick? The Dolphins would have to cut players just to get under the threshold to pull that off. They've got less than 10m in cap space right now and don't have a ton of cut options on their team, maybe Timmons?

Archived