Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft v1

goldfishwars

Daniel Jeremiah posted his mock draft to NFL.com and it's usually worth checking in with what he's saying because he's plugged in with guys around the league and usually there's a few names there that are a little bit of a surprise. 

Some really interesting names that haven't had much first round traction around here this far. Marcus Davenport is a hot name, but first time I've seen him in the top 10. Tremaine Edmunds is top 10, Mike Hughes and Donte Jackson are corners I haven't even looked at yet. Hayden Hurst as the first tight end is also an intriguing one. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000908233/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-10-browns-jets-fins-redskins-take-qb

PICK 1 - Cleveland Browns

Sam Darnold - QB, USC
The Browns finally land their franchise signal-caller.

PICK 2 - New York Giants

Saquon Barkley - RB, Penn State
I could easily see the Giants addressing the quarterback spot here, but instead they opt for the best player in the draft.

PICK 3 - Indianapolis Colts

Bradley Chubb - DE, N.C. State
The Colts have several needs to address, but a premier pass rusher is at the top of the list.

PICK 4 - Cleveland Browns

Minkah Fitzpatrick - DB, Alabama
The Browns need more dynamic playmakers on both sides of the ball and Fitzpatrick is the best option available.

PICK 5 - Denver Broncos

Quenton Nelson - OG, Notre Dame
I think the Broncos will address their quarterback need in free agency, which would free them up to take the best available player in this spot. Nelson is the best interior O-line prospect to enter the draft in a long time.

PICK 6 - New York Jets

Josh Rosen - QB, UCLA
Rosen is ready to start right now and he would give the Jets a key building block on the offensive side of the ball.

PICK 7 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Marcus Davenport - DE, UTSA
Davenport reminds me of Ziggy Ansah coming out of BYU, and the Bucs need to add some life to their pass rush.

PICK 8 - Chicago Bears

Denzel Ward - CB, Ohio State
The Bears need some offensive firepower, but they can accomplish that in free agency and the middle portion of the draft. Ward lacks ideal size, but he's a dynamic playmaker with the tools to play inside or outside.

PICK 9 - San Francisco 49ers

Tremaine Edmunds - LB, Virginia Tech
Edmunds is one of my favorite players in the draft. He has a rare blend of size, speed and athleticism. He would be a perfect complement to Reuben Foster at the second level of the 49ers' defense.

PICK 10 - Oakland Raiders

Roquan Smith - LB, Georgia
Smith is a bit undersized, but he makes plays sideline to sideline and provides a physical presence in the middle of the field.

PICK 11 - Miami Dolphins

Josh Allen - QB, Wyoming
This would be a bit of a surprise, but the Dolphins can't continue to rely on Ryan Tannehill.

PICK 12 - Cincinnati

Connor Williams - OT, Texas
Williams saw his stock drop a little bit this fall, but I still believe he's the best offensive tackle in the draft class.

PICK 13 - Washington

Baker Mayfield - QB, Oklahoma
The Redskins have a big decision to make with Kirk Cousins. If they decided to move on from him, Mayfield would be a perfect fit in this system.

PICK 14 - Green Bay

Mike Hughes - CB, UCF
Hughes has outstanding fluidity and ball skills. His upside is very enticing.

PICK 15 - Arizona

Vita Vea - DT, Washington
This isn't a pressing need for the Cardinals, but in this scenario, Vea is just too good to pass up.

PICK 16 - Balitimore

Orlando Brown - OT, Oklahoma
The Ravens need to address the wide receiver position, but they have a good track record of filling that void with veteran players in free agency. Brown would immediately start at right tackle for Baltimore, just like his father did a little more than a decade ago.

PICK 17 - LA Chargers

Derwin James - S, Florida State
James was made to play in Gus Bradley's defenses. He's a more explosive version of Kam Chancellor.

PICK 18 - Seattle

Isaiah Oliver - CB, Colorado
Oliver has excellent size and speed. He can locate and play the ball down the field. The Seahawks are likely headed toward a rebuild in the secondary.

PICK 19 - Dallas

Maurice Hurst - DT, Michigan
Hurst has an explosive first step and he'd excel playing the 3-technique for Rod Marinelli.

PICK 20 - Detroit

Billy Price - C/OG, Ohio State
Price can play any of the three interior positions and his nasty demeanor fits with what GM Bob Quinn is building in Detroit.

PICK 21 - Buffalo

Da'Ron Payne - DT, Alabama
The Bills traded away Marcell Dareus in the fall and they need to add another difference-maker to their defensive front.

PICK 22 - Buffalo

Josh Jackson - CB, Iowa
There is some concern about Jackson's deep speed, but he has the best ball skills in the entire draft class.

PICK 23 - LA Rams

Isaiah Wynn - OG, Georgia
Wynn was an undersized offensive tackle at Georgia, but I believe he has Pro Bowl potential as an interior offensive lineman.

PICK 24 - Carolina

Calvin Ridley - WR, Alabama
The Panthers continue their recent trend and add another explosive weapon for Cam Newton.

PICK 25 - Atlanta

James Daniels - C/OG, Iowa
Daniels is the best center prospect in the draft and I believe he could play guard if needed. I think you will see his stock soar over the next few months.

PICK 26 - Tennessee

Harrison Phillips - DT, Stanford
Phillips has outstanding power and I believe he's an underrated athlete. He dominates against the run.

PICK 27 - New Orleans

Christian Kirk - WR, Texas A&M
I'd love to see Kirk line up and play in this offense with Drew Brees. He's the most polished wideout in the draft.

PICK 28 - Pittsburgh

Donte Jackson - CB, LSU
I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers took a running back like Derrius Guice or Ronald Jones here, but I have them landing a very talented cornerback instead. Jackson has inside/outside flexibility and he might be the fastest player in the entire draft.

PICK 29 - Jacksonville

Hayden Hurst - TE, South Carolina
The Jaguars need to add another tight end and I love both Hurst and South Dakota State's Dallas Goedert. Either option would be a nice fit.

PICK 30 - Philadelphia 

Rashaan Evans - LB, Alabama
The Eagles love explosive defenders who play with an edge. Evans fits that profile.

PICK 31 - New England

Mike McGlinchey - OT, Notre Dame
The Patriots could lose Nate Solder in free agency. McGlinchey could step right in and take his place.

PICK 32 - Minnesota

Arden Key - DE, LSU
Key could drop because of some off-field issues as well as an inconsistent fall. However, his upside is outrageous and Mike Zimmer would be the right coach to help him reach that level.

1 hour ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Hughes is a good player, but isn't he like 5-9? And he had off the field concerns? Idk, Gutenkunst is new, but doesn't sound like the Packers mold.

According to the UCF website, 5'11". As for the red flags, here's what one article has to say: 

Hughes signed with North Carolina out of high school in 2015 and played 11 games for the Tar Heels as a freshman, but an altercation at a fraternity eventually led to Hughes being charged with misdemeanor assault. He paid his dues with community service and charges were dropped, but the damage was done and he left UNC in February last year.

Not condoning or passing any judgement - just putting what's out there. 

52 minutes ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

Sounds like Williams is the best LT in the draft but his health still concerns me a little.

He was awesome last year, if the injury checks out ok then he's still an excellent prospect. He's just not entering the draft at the peak of where his stock could be. 

Hurst will turn 25 at the start of next season, and only recently came back to football after a stint in minor league baseball.  And only two years at the tight end position.  Pretty crazy to think some have him as a first rounder.  He can definitely ball though.

25 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

That Jets pick won't happen because of Woody Johnson and Josh Rosen having... (how can I put this lightly)

clashing opinions on things outside of football. 

LMAO.  If Rosen was by some chance there and the Jets didn't sign an FA QB, i'm fairly confident they'd run up to the podium to give Goodell the card.

9 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Love how high he has Tremaine Edmunds but can't see the 49ers going LB again.

Why not? Besides Foster we only have M. Smith(who missed all '17) as a lock for LB spot next season. Eli Harold needs to be replaced and Edmunds can step in day 1 as the Sam. He could also help on 3rd down which we need. 

Archived