Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft v1

goldfishwars

22 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Love how high he has Tremaine Edmunds but can't see the 49ers going LB again.

LB is definitely an option, particularly if they are the best on the board. Its basically Foster (who may be suspended a game and has some injury concerns), then Malcolm Smith (who missed all of 2017), and Eli Harold. It's not a good group, particularly at that SAM linebacker spot, which Edmunds can play. This pick makes a little bit of sense over Smith (so that's actually a pretty good call by Jeremiah as I'm sure most would have Smith just be the higher guy), since the latter is probably not as versatile in our scheme and is likely a WILL only.

If the board fall this way, It's definitely an option. The guys that I would potentially take over the linebackers have already been chose.  I'd take both Edmunds and Smith over any of the wide receivers available at that point, Ward is gone for corner. Nelson is gone at guard. I feel that 9/10 is too soon for Wynn (who I like, but don't believe ends up in the first round) or Price. Guys like Hughes and Jackson and any of the corners are options, but Edmunds and Smith could probably be viewed as better players. Davenport is already gone for the LEO role, so it comes down to how early you want to take someone like Key. 

52 minutes ago, BringinDaPain said:

Carolina wont let Mike McGlinchey - OT- Notre Dame, get past us.

I don't think McGlinchey is that good. And I think Calvin Ridley is a better player and just as much a need as anything in Carolina. I'd be ecstatic as a Panthers fan if we got Calvin Ridley this late into the draft.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

LB is definitely an option, particularly if they are the best on the board. Its basically Foster (who may be suspended a game and has some injury concerns), then Malcolm Smith (who missed all of 2017), and Eli Harold. It's not a good group, particularly at that SAM linebacker spot, which Edmunds can play. This pick makes a little bit of sense over Smith (so that's actually a pretty good call by Jeremiah as I'm sure most would have Smith just be the higher guy), since the latter is probably not as versatile in our scheme and is likely a WILL only.

If the board fall this way, It's definitely an option. The guys that I would potentially take over the linebackers have already been chose.  I'd take both Edmunds and Smith over any of the wide receivers available at that point, Ward is gone for corner. Nelson is gone at guard. I feel that 9/10 is too soon for Wynn (who I like, but don't believe ends up in the first round) or Price. Guys like Hughes and Jackson and any of the corners are options, but Edmunds and Smith could probably be viewed as better players. Davenport is already gone for the LEO role, so it comes down to how early you want to take someone like Key. 

If I'm a 49ers fan, I don't want another ILB. First of all, I don't find Tremaine Edmunds to be a top 25 pick. I need to watch more tape, but he was invisible in the three games I watched VT play this year. I saw him play against WVU, Georgia Tech, and then his bowl game against Oklahoma State. Didn't flash, but didn't play horribly either. Just kind of bland for my taste. Is there a specific film I should look into that shows how good this dude can be? He has underwhelmed me, even knowing that he's only 19 and will improve. Amobi Okoye played NT/3-Tech in college so obviously this comparison will be strange, but Okoye was a solid player that was overdrafted because of what he "could be." I don't think Edmunds is going to be a bust, but I would be mad if my team drafted him in the top half of the draft based on what I've seen thus far.

Also, you have to think that with Garoppolo, a young roster, and a ton of cap space, the 49ers aren't going to be picking at the top of the draft very often. I'd rather them target a more premier position, as you could get a good SLB/WLB prospect with pick #32 in 95% of draft classes.

I guess people think Edmunds is a blue-chipper which would somewhat justify that pick, but I am not seeing it personally. I see Julian Peterson in a slightly bigger frame.

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If I'm a 49ers fan, I don't want another ILB. First of all, I don't find Tremaine Edmunds to be a top 25 pick. I need to watch more tape, but he was invisible in the three games I watched VT play this year. I saw him play against WVU, Georgia Tech, and then his bowl game against Oklahoma State. Didn't flash, but didn't play horribly either. Just kind of bland for my taste. Is there a specific film I should look into that shows how good this dude can be? He has underwhelmed me, even knowing that he's only 19 and will improve. Amobi Okoye played NT/3-Tech in college so obviously this comparison will be strange, but Okoye was a solid player that was overdrafted because of what he "could be." I don't think Edmunds is going to be a bust, but I would be mad if my team drafted him in the top half of the draft based on what I've seen thus far.

Also, you have to think that with Garoppolo, a young roster, and a ton of cap space, the 49ers aren't going to be picking at the top of the draft very often. I'd rather them target a more premier position, as you could get a good SLB/WLB prospect with pick #32 in 95% of draft classes.

I guess people think Edmunds is a blue-chipper which would somewhat justify that pick, but I am not seeing it personally. I see Julian Peterson in a slightly bigger frame.

Don't disagree - though some people really love Edmunds. But the way that this board plays out is unkind to the 49ers if we are being honest. We could really use a LEO...but are you going to chance Key in this situation? I don't love Josh Jackson  the way some people do and would prefer Ward, though the latter is gone. Guard and Center are huge needs for us right now (pending free agency - wouldn't be shocked if we make a major play for Pugh or Norwell), but with Nelson gone, I don't know that Price is worth that selection, and you could make the same argument at the interior line that you could with an off the ball linebacker like Edmunds. There are no top 10 wide receivers in this draft, and to be quite frank, I think that the team is pretty happy with the receiving corps we have. We need a red zone target, but I don't think that we are going for a splash edition at the position. If the board played out exactly like this, I would hope that someone would make the play to trade up for Josh allen, allowing for us to move down a bit.

A lot of this will be free agent dependent. There's already scuttlebutt about Ziggy + the 49ers with the Mayhew connection and our need for a true pass rusher. I would expect us to make a play for at least one interior offensive lineman. I could see us grab a guy like Decker for a niche role in the offense at wide receiver, particularly in the red zone. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't disagree - though some people really love Edmunds. But the way that this board plays out is unkind to the 49ers if we are being honest. We could really use a LEO...but are you going to chance Key in this situation? I don't love Josh Jackson  the way some people do and would prefer Ward, though the latter is gone. Guard and Center are huge needs for us right now (pending free agency - wouldn't be shocked if we make a major play for Pugh or Norwell), but with Nelson gone, I don't know that Price is worth that selection, and you could make the same argument at the interior line that you could with an off the ball linebacker like Edmunds. There are no top 10 wide receivers in this draft, and to be quite frank, I think that the team is pretty happy with the receiving corps we have. We need a red zone target, but I don't think that we are going for a splash edition at the position. If the board played out exactly like this, I would hope that someone would make the play to trade up for Josh allen, allowing for us to move down a bit.

A lot of this will be free agent dependent. There's already scuttlebutt about Ziggy + the 49ers with the Mayhew connection and our need for a true pass rusher. I would expect us to make a play for at least one interior offensive lineman. I could see us grab a guy like Decker for a niche role in the offense at wide receiver, particularly in the red zone. 

If this scenario played out and I'm SF, I pick, in this order:

1. Vita Vea NT

2. Calvin Ridley WR

3. Josh Jackson CB

I'm higher on all three of these guys than most, but Vea is as close to a lockdown NT as you're going to find. He's better than Danny Shelton, who is a top 5 NFL NT right now. Ridley is an explosive playmaker with good height, solid muscle build (despite not having great weight #'s), and both lateral and vertical speed. Plus he runs elite routes and doesn't drop the football very often. He's a gamer that played with a tailback for a QB all season long. Josh Jackson is a Josh Norman clone. They are both long lanky corners that make a ton of plays on the ball. I don't know SF's defensive scheme though. If you guys play a lot of heavy man press, this might be a bad fit. He's an elite prospect if you're looking for an off zone corner and employ a lot of zone blitzes. He has a lot of technique flaws and questionable speed, but I love what he would bring to a scheme that plays to his strengths. He's not the worst person in the world in man coverage, but he's much better when he can read and react to the QB, not the WR.

And I'm picking Roquan Smith if I have to pick a linebacker at #9. He's got his flaws as an in-the-box linebacker, but as a pure WLB, it doesn't get much better. He's extremely smart, elite in coverage, and RARELY misses tackles. Plus he's got unreal range and understands how to scrape over the top and clean up garbage better than any LB'er I've seen play WILL in college recently. I just question whether or not he can stack and shed blocks, as he really struggled with this when I watched him this year. Plus without any evidence, my eye test tells me he's like 6'0 220. He does not look very big despite being listed at.......well, nevermind. Did a quick google search and found out he's listed at 6'1 220 lol.

22 hours ago, Groink said:

Hurst will turn 25 at the start of next season, and only recently came back to football after a stint in minor league baseball.  And only two years at the tight end position.  Pretty crazy to think some have him as a first rounder.  He can definitely ball though.

In some draft cultures, 25 is considered young. The Browns draft Brandon Weeden at pick #21 when he was 41 years young. Fun fact: Brandon Weeden died of old age just three years after his 2012 draft selection.

I like Hurst a lot, but I don't see him going in the first two rounds. He's going to go early in the 3rd if I had to guess. I don't think he's going to time all that well in the 40, which should combine with that ugly age number and keep his draft stock low.

Surprised Mark Andrews has stopped getting hype. I think he's a stud and could go in the top 20 still. Conversely to Hurst, I expect Andrews to have a great combine for both size/strength numbers and speed/agility numbers. Andrews never really blocks in-line, but he has the size that would indicate he could do so.

James Daniels Center in the 1st round no thanks and good god i hope not, heck i would be a little upset with him in the 2nd round honestly.   In the 3rd round i would be ok with the pick. With who is available in his mock as it sits i would much rather take Mclginchy as a OT and turn him into a OG for us or get Evans at LB or Hurst at TE.  Best pick besides Mcglinchy would be Taven Bryan DE/DT from florida for us in this situation.

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

In some draft cultures, 25 is considered young. The Browns draft Brandon Weeden at pick #21 when he was 41 years young. Fun fact: Brandon Weeden died of old age just three years after his 2012 draft selection.

I like Hurst a lot, but I don't see him going in the first two rounds. He's going to go early in the 3rd if I had to guess. I don't think he's going to time all that well in the 40, which should combine with that ugly age number and keep his draft stock low.

Surprised Mark Andrews has stopped getting hype. I think he's a stud and could go in the top 20 still. Conversely to Hurst, I expect Andrews to have a great combine for both size/strength numbers and speed/agility numbers. Andrews never really blocks in-line, but he has the size that would indicate he could do so.

xD  Poor Weeden.  If only he'd had a few years to sit and learn like Aaron Rodgers, he could've been a beast for Cleveland by the time he hit 50.

In seriousness though, i agree on Hurst for the most part.  He seems like a promising all-around TE...but i don't necessarily see him reading as the "elite beast athlete" profile that tends to sneak TEs into that 1st round.  Seems like more of the solid all'rounder Day2 type.  Though i haven't been overly blown away with his hands, or him as a blocker either.  Too much trying to chest-bump bros out of the play.  He's shown the ability to do a little bit of everything pretty well though, and he'll be a decent pickup for somebody.  Just not sold on him as a 1st rounder.  Especially not at that age.

Goedert as mentioned, seems more like the "potential homerun" sort of flyer that i could see teams biting on late 1st.

But as far as the Jaguars go...Need a TE for sure, someone high in the draft and hopefully ready to start soon, if not right away.  Marcedes Lewis is ancient and there's really nothing to write home about behind that.  But in terms of "fit"...unless they start doing some very different things next season, whoever lands there is more likely than not, going to spend most of their Sundays blocking.  Which i think lessens the premium on the position a bit.  There are enough solid looking all-around guys who should be available Day2 (if not Hurst himself) that i'd kinda lean toward them going that route.  Even a guy like Dalton Schultz seems like he'd be a fit later into Day2, even if a guy like Hurst isn't there later.

On 1/21/2018 at 11:30 AM, BleedTheClock said:

If this scenario played out and I'm SF, I pick, in this order:

1. Vita Vea NT

2. Calvin Ridley WR

3. Josh Jackson CB

I'm higher on all three of these guys than most, but Vea is as close to a lockdown NT as you're going to find. He's better than Danny Shelton, who is a top 5 NFL NT right now. Ridley is an explosive playmaker with good height, solid muscle build (despite not having great weight #'s), and both lateral and vertical speed. Plus he runs elite routes and doesn't drop the football very often. He's a gamer that played with a tailback for a QB all season long. Josh Jackson is a Josh Norman clone. They are both long lanky corners that make a ton of plays on the ball. I don't know SF's defensive scheme though. If you guys play a lot of heavy man press, this might be a bad fit. He's an elite prospect if you're looking for an off zone corner and employ a lot of zone blitzes. He has a lot of technique flaws and questionable speed, but I love what he would bring to a scheme that plays to his strengths. He's not the worst person in the world in man coverage, but he's much better when he can read and react to the QB, not the WR.

And I'm picking Roquan Smith if I have to pick a linebacker at #9. He's got his flaws as an in-the-box linebacker, but as a pure WLB, it doesn't get much better. He's extremely smart, elite in coverage, and RARELY misses tackles. Plus he's got unreal range and understands how to scrape over the top and clean up garbage better than any LB'er I've seen play WILL in college recently. I just question whether or not he can stack and shed blocks, as he really struggled with this when I watched him this year. Plus without any evidence, my eye test tells me he's like 6'0 220. He does not look very big despite being listed at.......well, nevermind. Did a quick google search and found out he's listed at 6'1 220 lol.

Swap Ridley and Jackson and that's my preferences for the 49ers at 9/10.  The 49ers have Pierre Garcon who was balling out with scrubs throwing to him.  He wanted to come back this season but the FO opted to shut him down and let him fully recover from the neck injury.  As for Vea, a lot of 49ers fans have been conditioned to believe that you can just plug any 6th round draft pick into the nose position and it's fine. That nose tackles are just space eaters against the run.  Their job is to just not give up yards so they can be rotated out in passing situations. They also want to give Solomon Thomas as many opportunities to succeed so they can prop up GM John Lynch as some kind of god/savior.

Archived