Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

If Day is hired and brings heavy amounts of RPO/zone read we are screwed. Mariota can not hold up running that offense.

I don’t think that’s as much of an issue in today’s NFL. 5/10 years ago maybe, but today defenses get a penalty for sneezing on a QB. It wouldn’t be the same as a college spread, it’s more the principles you can take and apply at this level. Getting rid of the ball quickly will be key, something Mularkey/Robiskie never understood. 

Just now, VY said:

I don’t think that’s as much of an issue in today’s NFL. 5/10 years ago maybe, but today defenses get a penalty for sneezing on a QB. It wouldn’t be the same as a college spread, it’s more the principles you can take and apply at this level. Getting rid of the ball quickly will be key, something Mularkey/Robiskie never understood. 

We're coming off a season where on multiple occasions Mariota hurt something in his legs by just running/not getting hit.

As far as pace of offense goes, I think you have to mix it up. Look at what NE did to us in the second quarter, just gassed us to death. When you have a good rhythm you should go and not allow substitution. You also have to be willing to take the clock down to 1 sec in the first quarter. I think Marcus needs to have the option since he will know best how the defense is playing.

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

We're coming off a season where on multiple occasions Mariota hurt something in his legs by just running/not getting hit.

First time that has happened and it just happened to be when he missed an entire off-season of conditioning. 

He needs to work on conditioning, stretching, and staying hydrated during the game.

As long as he continues avoiding hits he should be fine. I wouldn't expect it to be him getting 15 carries a game.

Just now, TitanSS said:

First time that has happened and it just happened to be when he missed an entire off-season of conditioning. 

He needs to work on conditioning, stretching, and staying hydrated during the game.

As long as he continues avoiding hits he should be fine. I wouldn't expect it to be him getting 15 carries a game.

He was a full go in training camp and did a decent bit of work in OTAs, not sure I buy that excuse honestly.

But hopefully that's all it is.

18 minutes ago, VY said:

Maybe he wouldn't face as much contact as he would've in the past, but he battled some non-contact injuries as well suffered running the football, though, didn't he?

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

He was a full go in training camp and did a decent bit of work in OTAs, not sure I buy that excuse honestly.

OTA’s is what gets you in shape for training camp, training camp is where you put it all together. So what he said makes sense 

23 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Yeah but he would generally be conditioning and working out year round as opposed to rehabbing.

He ran even more in college and never had an issue. Those types of injuries should be preventable with proper preparation. If he starts taking hits, then it becomes an issue.

35 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Ok so he just should stay in the pocket, never use his legs then? Part of it is on him to do what’s necessary to stay healthy, but once he hurt his hamstring this year it was never back to normal. Hopefully he gets healthy this offseason, but without his legs and some designed runs he won’t be a success.

1 minute ago, VY said:

Ok so he just should stay in the pocket, never use his legs then? Part of it is on him to do what’s necessary to stay healthy, but once he hurt his hamstring this year it was never back to normal. Hopefully he gets healthy this offseason, but without his legs and some designed runs he won’t be a success.

Yes, ideally, the only time he ever runs is when he has no other choice. He's a good enough pocket QB to play it that way. Eventually that's how he's going to have to play it because as he gets older his speed will start to fade and he's not going to be able to beat LBs to the edge, and he's no Steve McNair/Cam Newton who is going to be able to run defenders over on a consistent basis. Tell him to run if he has to, but don't make it a constant in your playbook.

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Yes, ideally, the only time he ever runs is when he has no other choice. He's a good enough pocket QB to play it that way. Eventually that's how he's going to have to play it because as he gets older his speed will start to fade and he's not going to be able to beat LBs to the edge, and he's no Steve McNair/Cam Newton who is going to be able to run defenders over on a consistent basis. Tell him to run if he has to, but don't make it a constant in your playbook.

We’ll just agree to disagree on this one, but I highly doubt any coach would not want to take advantage of his running ability in an intelligent way.

Also, I think Day or whoever will be able to run RPO better than Robiskie, and not leave Mariota exposed. Look how other teams do it, often their QBs aren’t even leaving the pocket. The few times we did it  this year it was certainly putting him way out on the perimeter.

I like the read option not just to run with Mariota, but because the threat of him running is basically an extra blocker.

Walker is 33 and is still plenty fast. He'll lose some speed with age, and I hope they don't do it as often once he hits 27/28, but I think he needs to do it as he continues to learn the game.

Just enough to keep the defense honest. A couple designed runs a game and a few improvised scrambles when necessary.

I dont want him getting 10 carries (or more) a game like a college QB. They generally do that with college QBs because they can't throw, but Mariota can.

I wamt to become a west coast offense with a lot of emphasis on getting the ball out quickly and YAC. Spread the field and change up the tempo. Sometimes we'll huddle, sometimes we wont. Sometimes we'll go tempo, sometimes we won't.

Sometimes we'll go no huddle and play after play snap the ball with 3 seconds left on the play clock, holding the DL in their stance for 25 straight seconds. 

I dont want to be predictable. If we get a personnel matchup we like, then don't huddle and dont allow then to sub.

Archived