Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

Just now, TitanSS said:

Our OL was absolute dog**** at run-blocking last year and we leave 17 people in to pass protect. Not entirely worried.

Well when you put nobodies at guard and a center who is hurt for 3/4ths the year, that's gonna happen. We had Kline starting at RG who Blake Beddingfield came right out and said was not a fit in our system and was only playing there because we had no better option, and Spain who was an undrafted free agent out of college and has some serious limitations to his game. Kline was a guy the Patriots, who had some pretty serious interior OL issues at the time, didn't even want on their roster.

I don't really care in the slightest that we had TEs help block. On plays they didn't help block the OL still regularly dominated in pass pro, and we saw when going in to a spread system where they weren't constantly helped, our offense moved the ball as well as it did all year. Everyone outside of Jones graded very well in pass pro per PFF(I know, but the only real grading website out there for OL), and again he was hurt most of the year so hard to say how much that impacted him.

8 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i don't really understand why they would dump hate on a co-offensive coordinator that is probably better reserved for their garbage quarterback and the head coach who refused to sit him on the bench.

If Urban Meyer didn't coach at the same time as Nick Saban he'd probably be sitting with several more national title trophies, so he's never going to get much blame for anything.

Asked my Ohio State fan friend who is so obsessed with Ohio State he watches every Michigan game he can to root against them if he disliked Ryan Day:

"No I think he's done good I think he's basically the qb coach. Those fans are retarded and probably think that he calls the plays.

Apparently our old OC is being considered for as your OL coach. Awful OC but great OL coach. And he just got hired by Michigan to do something so that would be hilarious."

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

And in just one season. Guy didn’t even call plays...

Then if he's not going to be credited for anything with Ohio State, good or bad, why should we be excited about him at all? Because Boston College had two decent seasons with him as OC 5 years ago or whatever it's been?

If I remember correctly the only reason we got Grimm to join our staff in the first place was because he was doing a favor for Mularkey. I think I remember him even saying as much when he first got here.  I think he was pretty content to be retired, and only came back because his friend needed him.  I'm sure Vrabel would like to keep him, but he could be content with retiring now instead of starting from scratch on a new staff.

Just now, TitanSS said:

Asked my Ohio State fan friend who is so obsessed with Ohio State he watches every Michigan game he can to root against them if he disliked Ryan Day:

"No I think he's done good I think he's basically the qb coach. Those fans are retarded and probably think that he calls the plays.

Apparently our old OC is being considered for as your OL coach. Awful OC but great OL coach. And he just got hired by Michigan to do something so that would be hilarious."

He's basically the QB coach and JT Barrett was terrible but he's good?

I'm so confused

1 minute ago, SerenityNow said:

If I remember correctly the only reason we got Grimm to join our staff in the first place was because he was doing a favor for Mularkey. I think I remember him even saying as much when he first got here.  I think he was pretty content to be retired, and only came back because his friend needed him.  I'm sure Vrabel would like to keep him, but he could be content with retiring now instead of starting from scratch on a new staff.

If Grimm wants to go back to retirement then as I said that's cool. I would much rather not hire an OL coach from a spread system in college though.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

He's basically the QB coach and JT Barrett was terrible but he's good?

I'm so confused

JT Barrett is terrible. That's not the QB coaches fault. If I had to venture a guess he's going off of what he's read about him, because there's literally nothing else to base it off of.

Shouldn't be any less confusing than fans being upset with a guy they don't know anything about.

Just now, TitanSS said:

JT Barrett is terrible. That's not the QB coaches fault. If I had to venture a guess he's going off of what he's read about him, because there's literally nothing else to base it off of.

Shouldn't be any less confusing than fans being upset with a guy they don't know anything about.

JT Barrett was one of the best QBs in college football in 2014. I dunno what's happened since then and now that's caused him to go to ****, but the guy has the talent to be great. Ryan Day isn't the only guy who failed to get that talent to show, but I dunno if I buy that the biggest problem is "Barrett is just terrible".

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Then if he's not going to be credited for anything with Ohio State, good or bad, why should we be excited about him at all? Because Boston College had two decent seasons with him as OC 5 years ago or whatever it's been?

Who said I was excited? No one is going to excite me unless it’s LaFleur or DeFilippo. What I see in Day is someone who is flexible and isn’t married to a scheme. That right there is a plus but overall it still doesn’t excite me.

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

JT Barrett was one of the best QBs in college football in 2014. I dunno what's happened since then and now that's caused him to go to ****, but the guy has the talent to be great. Ryan Day isn't the only guy who failed to get that talent to show, but I dunno if I buy that the biggest problem is "Barrett is just terrible".

He couldn't even beat out Cardale Jones as a starter in 2015, one season after being the "best QB in college". Barrett is not a talentdd QB, I promise. 

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

barrett is a naturally inaccurate passer. day coaxed by far the best season out of barrett since his 2014 season under tom herman, one that was statistically comparable in every way.

He was the Buckeyes OL coach from '12-'15... Did well enough to get promoted to OC in '16. Sucked at that... But had the Gophers at 185 rushing yards per game as their OL coach and run game coordinator ( without the help of a 1000 yard rusher or any semblance of a qb).

Where's the spread coach only notion coming from? Seems like hate just for sake of it...

Archived