Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

Our head coach was pretty much fired because of our passing game and we want to bring in an offensive coordinator in Ryan Day who might be the only coach we could possibly find that would have a worse passing game then we had last year. I want nothing to do with him. Watching the Eagles offense right now makes me want Defilippo in a bad way!

3 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

Our head coach was pretty much fired because of our passing game and we want to bring in an offensive coordinator in Ryan Day who might be the only coach we could possibly find that would have a worse passing game then we had last year. I want nothing to do with him. Watching the Eagles offense right now makes me want Defilippo in a bad way!

But how much does he have to do with the play design and play calls?  He is the QB coach.  If anything you'd want Frank Reich (which you can't get) he at least is one that does the install and have more hand in play design. 

I understand the love of Flipp, but he isn't an offensive God.  He was the OC for the Browns and it wasn't like he set the world on fire there (Who does though).  lol 

I'm interested to know who is most responsible for the offense, I don't think Flip has a big a hand in it that most think. 

34 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

What do you guys think comes of LeBeau now that Vrabel is here? I've been thinking about that today a bit. I could see a scenario where he stays on as our DC or even potentially changes roles to more of a defensive advisor just to have that veteran presence on the staff to help Vrabel with the head coach transition.

My guess is that he'd probably take something like that. Although he started as that in Nashville before we got rid of Horton. The fact that he hasn't retired leads me to believe he'd be open to some kind of role. Maybe his Ohio State connection will help, but certainly couldn't hurt to have him on the staff one way or another.

Ohuo State averaged 65% completion percentage, 262 yards, and 2.8 TDs per game last year, all large improvements from the year before, where is this hate on Day and Ohio States offense? I didn't want him until I realized he was only their last year, but they significantly improved last year.

Freshmen QB completed 70.2% of his passes, 565 yds,  9.9 YPA, 4TD, 1 INT filling in for Barrett.

Just now, TitanSS said:

Ohuo State averaged 65% completion percentage, 262 yards, and 2.8 TDs per game last year, all large improvements from the year before, where is this hate on Day and Ohio States offense? I didn't want him until I realized he was only their last year, but they significantly improved last year.

Freshmen QB completed 70.2% of his passes, 565 yds,  9.9 YPA, 4TD, 1 INT filling in for Barrett.

Because he isn't Flip I guess.  I don't know what people want..lol

Don't want an old guy, but want someone I know. Want something new, but not too new...lol 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Because he isn't Flip I guess.  I don't know what people want..lol

Don't want an old guy, but want someone I know. Want something new, but not too new...lol 

Right. I didn't want Day at first, but I initially thought he was on the team 2 and 3 years ago when I watched a lot of Ohio State. He's not, and their offense was significantly better last year.

He also doesn't call plays, so for someone to say he had a worse passing offense than Mularkey/Robiskie is just a horrible argument. Statistically, the QBs performed well. If they didn't call enough passing plays that's not on the QB coach.

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

But how much does he have to do with the play design and play calls?  He is the QB coach.  If anything you'd want Frank Reich (which you can't get) he at least is one that does the install and have more hand in play design. 

I understand the love of Flipp, but he isn't an offensive God.  He was the OC for the Browns and it wasn't like he set the world on fire there (Who does though).  lol 

I'm interested to know who is most responsible for the offense, I don't think Flip has a big a hand in it that most think. 

Watching the Videos of Flipp breaking down plays makes me think he has a lot to do with play design and weakly game planning. Yes Reich calls plays but the fact that Flipp he's turned Wentz into an MVP caliber QB in his second year and the way he has Foles playing right now is what makes me want to give him a shot over Day. Day as an offensive coordinator calling plays has never averaged more then what 175 passing yards per game? People keeping saying he adapts to the players but I don't see it. he doesn't call plays in Ohio State, and Ohio state has some of the worst passing concepts you can have. Players have to get open based on pure athletics not play design. remember how much we all hated that Decker could never get open on his own? it will be more of the same with Day.

Just now, lovetitans said:

Watching the Videos of Flipp breaking down plays makes me think he has a lot to do with play design and weakly game planning. Yes Reich calls plays but the fact that Flipp he's turned Wentz into an MVP caliber QB in his second year and the way he has Foles playing right now is what makes me want to give him a shot over Day. Day as an offensive coordinator calling plays has never averaged more then what 175 passing yards per game? People keeping saying he adapts to the players but I don't see it. he doesn't call plays in Ohio State, and Ohio state has some of the worst passing concepts you can have. Players have to get open based on pure athletics not play design. remember how much we all hated that Decker could never get open on his own? it will be more of the same with Day.

I've seen those videos too, but that doesn't prove to me that he is the one who has designed them.
Does he know what they trying to do very well and explain it well, yes. He seems like a great teacher of the game.  It looks like he could really teach an offense. But can he call plays and/or design the plays?  I dunno.

I don't hate him at all. 

But it seems people are falling in love with the Eagles offense, without truly knowing who is behind the success of it. 

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Vrabel and Robinson have a busy week with the PC tomorrow and then senior bowl practices starting tomorrow. Going to have to work on the staff while in Mobile.

I think that is part of why the hire came so quick.

Don't mess around when you know who you want. Get hired and get to getting that staff together. 

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Right. I didn't want Day at first, but I initially thought he was on the team 2 and 3 years ago when I watched a lot of Ohio State. He's not, and their offense was significantly better last year.

He also doesn't call plays, so for someone to say he had a worse passing offense than Mularkey/Robiskie is just a horrible argument. Statistically, the QBs performed well. If they didn't call enough passing plays that's not on the QB coach.

15 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Last year was also Kevin Wilsons first year at Ohio State so how can you attribute the improvement to Day?

51 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

Z7Aq848.jpg

37 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Gophers ran spread option, PJ Fleck's specialty, so I'm not sure how you're trying to debate my point with that.

Spread concepts are expected to be sprinkled in... So why not bring someone who's excelled coaching within it?

His lines also weren't playing the Red Gun wide split spread concepts... We're talking about offenses in OSU that featured Elliot running wild (even on pro ready defenses like Bama's) and an offense that ran for over 180 yards per game last year without much talent or a decent QB. 

I dont know much about him so I'm not gonna pretend to... I dont follow the college game to that level... But he's shown success and is as good a candidate to bring on board. I'm also not going to pretend I have intimate knowledge of any OL coach outside Munch and Grimm.

Day's raw stats scare me some, but after reading up on him for a few hours earlier, I think he could maybe mix it up and maybe design a quick hitting, flexible, and adaptable offense. I still think his philosophies seem a bit run heavy, bit I'll hold further judgement until we see what he has.

At this point any OC that we hire is pretty much an unknown. Nun of them have called plays in the NFL unless they’re a retread. DeFlippo and Lefleur are the most popular names here but we have no idea what they’re playcalling would be like or how they will do as a OC.

ill support anyone we hire at this point until they give me a reason not to.  I’m just lookin forward to something new.

Archived