Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Day's raw stats scare me some, but after reading up on him for a few hours earlier, I think he could maybe mix it up and maybe design a quick hitting, flexible, and adaptable offense. I still think his philosophies seem a bit run heavy, bit I'll hold further judgement until we see what he has.

here's the thing- i don't mind being run-heavy. being run-heavy certainly served us well at times the past couple of seasons. but there's really no reason we can't incorporate a strong run game into a spread offense. hell, ohio state the last few years has pretty much been the leading example of that- although they haven't had a quarterback that can even come close to mariota's talent level.

Just now, -Hope- said:

here's the thing- i don't mind being run-heavy. being run-heavy certainly served us well at times the past couple of seasons. but there's really no reason we can't incorporate a strong run game into a spread offense. hell, ohio state the last few years has pretty much been the leading example of that- although they haven't had a quarterback that can even come close to mariota's talent level.

Yeah, I think its definitely possible. James and Barner experienced great success in Chips system... And Chip had huge plans for Blount before that debacle (2k yards were frequently mentioned leasing up to the season).

A running game is possible... But avering about 130 passing ypg over 3 seasons as OC is a huge red flag... At least iny eyes.

49 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

Last year was also Kevin Wilsons first year at Ohio State so how can you attribute the improvement to Day?

How can you attribute a passing offense that is "worse than Mularkey's" to him?

So it's on him if it supports your argument, but since it doesn't, he had nothing to do with it? Makes sense.

3 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Yeah, I think its definitely possible. James and Barner experienced great success in Chips system... And Chip had huge plans for Blount before that debacle (2k yards were frequently mentioned leasing up to the season).

A running game is possible... But avering about 130 passing ypg over 3 seasons as OC is a huge red flag... At least iny eyes.

i think, especially in the college game, you have to factor in the talent level at quarterback. his first year at BC he had chase rettig, who wasn’t a terrible passer but clearly isn’t great. he was very much a game manager for andre williams, who put up a 2000-yard season. kinda hard to argue with that. the next year, tyler murphy came along- probably an even worse passer than rettig, but a mobile guy, so day centered his rushing attack around him instead. really wouldn’t have made sense to try to throw it all over the field with either of those guys.

don’t want to totally dismiss your concern because the fact that we haven’t seen him in a full OC role with a prolific passing attack is certainly a concern- but fwiw as co-OC and quarterbacks coach he did contribute to JT barrett’s best season since his year with Tom Herman, so that would at least speak well of his capability in the passing game to some degree. not quite as much as you’d hope for from the resume of an NFL offensive coordinator to be, though.

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

So it's on him if it supports your argument, but since it doesn't, he had nothing to do with it? Makes sense.

it’s worth noting that day was explicitly co-OC *and QB coach*. so it seems pretty fair to attribute a good chunk of barrett’s improvement to him.

Just now, -Hope- said:

it’s worth noting that day was explicitly co-OC *and QB coach*. so it seems pretty fair to attribute a good chunk of barrett’s improvement to him.

That was my original point.

Love said they had the worst passing offense ever and attributed it to Day, and then when I showed him they were actually pretty good, he said how could I possibly know Day had anything to do with it? Lol

27 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

easy, look at his passing states when he was calling playes in temple and BC. Not that hard as I brought up in the original post about him.

Just now, lovetitans said:

easy, look at his passing states when he was calling playes in temple and BC. Not that hard as I brought up in the original post about him.

The thing is, CFB is a different game. There are far more games with massive talent disparities, so it’s prudent to try to control clock and limit your opponents possessions, even more so than in the NFL. 

12 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It’s weird to think that I’m now hoping there’s no OC announcement for awhile since the longer it takes, the more it would point to DeFilipo

With 3 people involved in that offensive scheme, it's hard to pinpoint exactly where to give/spread the kuddos... But what they just did to the best defense in the NFL... With their backup QB...Man, I want any part of that I can get.

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The thing is, CFB is a different game. There are far more games with massive talent disparities, so it’s prudent to try to control clock and limit your opponents possessions, even more so than in the NFL. 

I get that. But again like has been mentioned before averaging 130 passing yards during your years actually calling plays isn't going to get it done. 2013 BC was 67th in the nation in scoring 2014 83rd. His only year at Temple in 2012 98th after they were 39th the year before. Not exactly the stats I would except from a great offensive mind. when he's been calling the plays his offense is nothing special. I'm An Ohio State fan and He does have a hand in some of the success this year but the majority was because of Kevin Wilson.  People want to discount Flipp because you cant tell how much of a role he has. Its the exact same with Day.

45 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

That was my original point.

Love said they had the worst passing offense ever and attributed it to Day, and then when I showed him they were actually pretty good, he said how could I possibly know Day had anything to do with it? Lol

I never said Ohio State had a worse passing game then us. I said Days passing offense would be worse then ours. Day did not call plays in Ohio State. When he has called plays his passing offense is absolutely terrible.

28 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

I never said Ohio State had a worse passing game then us. I said Days passing offense would be worse then ours. Day did not call plays in Ohio State. When he has called plays his passing offense is absolutely terrible.

I get that. If he is going to be our OC I hope it's because of the talent he worked with. 

The only part of the hire that I hope like is that he worked under Meyer and Kelly and would bring the spread concepts that I want to see with Mariota.

His past stints as OC are definitely not promising.

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Tbh, I think I want a whole new direction on defense. I posted earlier about someone like Brian Flores or maybe James Bettcher if Arizona doesn’t retain him.

Yeah I tend to agree with wanting to go a whole new direction on defense. My biggest question right now is who would be the vet NFL coach or coaches that Vrabel would bring on to his staff? That's where I think we could potentially see some value in keeping LeBeau on staff in an advisor type role even if Vrabel wanted to go a different direction at DC. LeBeau could be kind of a buffer for Vrabel's overall lack of experience as a head coach.  Obviously the circumstances are a bit different, but one of the biggest positives to McVay's staff last year was that he was able to land Wade Phillips and keep the ST Coordinator Fassel to help ease his way into being a head coach with those two veteran coaches surrounding him.  So, if LeBeau wanted to stay on in some capacity I could definitely see the merit in doing that.

Archived