Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

So much for just hiring his buddies. We just landed the #1 OC of the off-season and probably a top 3 DC. 

I agree with whoever said it yesterday that Pees is a stop-gap guy. We're looking for someone to get this defense on track while the rest of the staff settles in to their positions and we wait on a DC to become available in a couple years.

Very excited about the OC with LaFleur, not so much so at DC with Pees. He's had some pretty good statistical years, yes, but it helps facing the Browns and Bengals. And I recall reading a lot of angry Raven posters with how far off his CBs play. Hopefully this is something Vrabel will correct and ensure doesn't happen. Time will tell though, but overall I like how the coaching staff has come together.

27 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

So much for just hiring his buddies. We just landed the #1 OC of the off-season and probably a top 3 DC. 

I agree with whoever said it yesterday that Pees is a stop-gap guy. We're looking for someone to get this defense on track while the rest of the staff settles in to their positions and we wait on a DC to become available in a couple years.

Yeah I said that about Pees.  We could have done a lot worst. A seasoned defensive playcaller with the ability to coordinate a Super Bowl Defense.  Couldn't ask for much more.  I just think it's boss to pretty much get the 2 guys you interviewed for HC on the same staff.
Even if we are "renting" LaFleur for about 2 seasons, the foundation is going to be set and a new direction for the team is in full motion. Vrabel is about what he said.....No more majority condensed formations (every team runs them but we ran them tooo much).
It will just be refreshing to hopefully get a new approach to this team.

5 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

And I recall reading a lot of angry Raven posters with how far off his CBs play.

It's weird - I had a little free time this morning so I went back and watched highlights from this past year.  The Ravens only lost two games late, to Pit in week 14 and Cin in week 17.  If you look at those highlights, in all the critical late plays, you see both corners pressed up tight against the WRs.  The weakness, as I saw it, was more down the seam where guys like Jesse James and Tyler Boyd exploited them for big plays in crucial situations.  Obviously, I don't have the time to compare this with other teams as I'm sure you can find plays like this that every defense gives up.  But it's curious that the biggest complaint has been corners playing off in crucial situations and it wasn't true in those two losses.  You can find the highlights on nfl.com and check them out for yourself if you want...

Here's the late TD against Cincy on 4th and 12 - note the CB positions.

2rwqo7m.jpg

Here's a crucial long pass to Antonio Brown in the week 14 comeback - note the CB positions.

aaeyqb.jpg

And finally, here's a late critical completion to Jesse James on a 3rd and long - note the CB positions.

eu4sr4.jpg

1 minute ago, titanrick said:

It's weird - I had a little free time this morning so I went back and watched highlights from this past year.  The Ravens only lost two games late, to Pit in week 14 and Cin in week 17.  If you look at those highlights, in all the critical late plays, you see both corners pressed up tight against the WRs.  The weakness, as I saw it, was more down the seam where guys like Jesse James and Tyler Boyd exploited them for big plays in crucial situations.  Obviously, I don't have the time to compare this with other teams as I'm sure you can find plays like this that every defense gives up.  But it's curious that the biggest complaint has been corners playing off in crucial situations and it wasn't true in those two losses.  You can find the highlights on nfl.com and check them out for yourself if you want...

Here's the late TD against Cincy on 4th and 12 - note the CB positions.

2rwqo7m.jpg

Here's a crucial long pass to Antonio Brown in the week 14 comeback - note the CB positions.

aaeyqb.jpg

And finally, here's a late critical completion to Jesse James on a 3rd and long - note the CB positions.

eu4sr4.jpg

Mane like I said over & over 5 top 12 finishes in 6yrs speaks volumes ion care what his weaknesses are, he’s shown that he can work & get the best out of solid talent. I made the comparison to Lebeau, people wrote him off prior to him coming to TN, said he can’t adapt his scheme to zone heavy corners play off coverage all game, but he changed. I then listen to both Vrabel & Robinson said they wanted coaches that will put our guys in position to make plays, they don’t want coaches forcing players to play in a scheme. So that told me they had an understanding of a style a defense they want pees to run. It’s like I said they act like pees resume was chuck Cecil ??‍♂️

@titanrick thanks for providing some context to the rumors. It's probably true that it's just fans being fans and holding on to someone that isn't true. Maybe it was true at one point earlier in his career and he made adjustments? Who knows, but he has always produced.

The most concerning thing to me was always why he left NE for a LB job and why he retired if he wasn't done coaching. Those two questions made me guess the dislike for him could have possibly been warranted, but with insight on his health issues in NE, that may not have been in the case.

Either way, his success with two different teams speaks for itself.

Archived