Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

4 minutes ago, capton_cutclass said:

So they are either really confident Mariota will succeed in a more Oregon friendly type of system...or they are at the point where they may want to move on at some point and this is them doing everything they can for him...trying to do right by him for being a good leader and competitor and a good image. Honestly it could be a little bit of both.

That may have been the disagreement over Mularkey...how Oregon friendly they got...its no coincidence we saw them use Mariota in the no-huddle calling plays...and then we hear talk of an extension...than we get the NE disaster and he is fired.

I’m just gone have faith & see who’s the QB coach & OC is, I have faith in Vabrel & the crazy part I was all in on LaFleur but after I read that article on Vabrel I honestly feel we have the making of a Bill Cowher / Bill Belichick HC... this is kingTitan fault ??

5 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I’m just gone have faith & see who’s the QB coach & OC is, I have faith in Vabrel & the crazy part I was all in on LaFleur but after I read that article on Vabrel I honestly feel we have the making of a Bill Cowher / Bill Belichick HC... this is kingTitan fault ??

They must have really based all of this on how well we did in KC running out of shotgun. I understand people saying Henry doesn't fit that system..but I if you cant run out of shotgun it doesnt matter how well you can block or catch...and DeMarco couldn't...but DHenry on the other hand has shown he can...run out of shotgun.

I don't know much about Day, but just looking at the raw stats from his time as OC... I'm extremely underwhelmed

• Temple 2011 (year before he was OC) -  127 pass ypg, 257 rush ypg, 3.7 TDs/g
  • Temple 2012 (OC) - 121 pass ypg, 201 rushing ypg, 2.8 TDs/g
  • Temple 2013 (year after he left) - 250 pass ypg, 149 rush ypg, 3.3 TDs/g

• BC 2012 (year before) - 259 pass ypg, 91 rush ypg, 2.1 TDs/g
  • BC 2013 (1st year OC) - 155 pass ypg, 213 rush ypg, 3.1 TDs/g
  • BC 2014 (2nd year OC) - 129 pass ypg, 255 rush ypg, 3.4 TDs/g
  • BC 2015 (year after) - 111 pass ypg, 165 rush ypg, 2.1 TDs/g

At Temple, they regrressed in all aspects of the offense when he took over... then the passing game took off (more than doubled) the year after he left.  At BC, he took over a passing team and immediately flipped scripts again (with the exact same QB/RB combo)... QB went from 3000 yard passer to under 2000... RB went from 500  to over 2000.  

If we thought Mularkey ran the ball too much, let's wait till we see when our offense is doubling our rushing to passing output.

I love the idea of bringing Ryan Day here. He's completely attached to Chip Kelly. Played QB under him at New Hampshire, ended up becoming his OC at New Hampshire, and was his QB coach in the NFL. A lot of the concepts that Marcus thrives in Day knows backwards and forwards.  He had some successful offenses at Boston College as OC as well. Coached Matt Ryan while he was there, and I think that's why Vrabel was at dinner with the BC Head Coach last night (everything is connected!!) I wouldn't necessarily put Ohio State's playcalling issues on Day either since Meyer calls the plays. This is the type of hire that I've been clamoring for. An innovative offensive mind that we could run more hurry up offense under and put Marcus in the best position to be the dynamic playmaker that he is.  One of my biggest complaints about Mularkey's system was that it felt like it held Marcus back quite a bit.  This hire would take that safety net away and really let Marcus be Marcus. Let's do it!

15 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Possible OC Hires to me:

Ryan Day- OC from Ohio State
Sean Ryan- QB Coach Houston Texans
Kevin O'Connell- QB Coach Redskins
Joker Phillips- WR Coach Bengals
John DeFlippo-QB Coach Eagle
Scot Loefler- Boston College OC

Ryan someone I mentioned a while back. People have been wanting to Mariota in a Chip Kelly style thing. Here is a chance to get some. 

Also. Not a retread or Todd Haley. Want to be different can't always be safe. 

7 minutes ago, capton_cutclass said:

They must have really based all of this on how well we did in KC running out of shotgun. I understand people saying Henry doesn't fit that system..but I if you cant run out of shotgun it doesnt matter how well you can block or catch...and DeMarco couldn't...but DHenry on the other hand has shown he can...run out of shotgun.

To me I believe Henry can do it, all he needs is carries to get in rhythm, he’ll also take his game to another level if he works on 4 things, pass blocking, agility work, route running & losing weight. He loves to bounce & get to the perimeter being light on his feet will help his burst. Eddie played at 230 & was the same height as Henry & he’s 247

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I don't know much about Day, but just looking at the raw stats from his time as OC... I'm extremely underwhelmed

• Temple 2011 (year before he was OC) -  127 pass ypg, 257 rush ypg, 3.7 TDs/g
  • Temple 2012 (OC) - 121 pass ypg, 201 rushing ypg, 2.8 TDs/g
  • Temple 2013 (year after he left) - 250 pass ypg, 149 rush ypg, 3.3 TDs/g

• BC 2012 (year before) - 259 pass ypg, 91 rush ypg, 2.1 TDs/g
  • BC 2013 (1st year OC) - 155 pass ypg, 213 rush ypg, 3.1 TDs/g
  • BC 2014 (2nd year OC) - 129 pass ypg, 255 rush ypg, 3.4 TDs/g
  • BC 2015 (year after) - 111 pass ypg, 165 rush ypg, 2.1 TDs/g

At Temple, they regrressed in all aspects of the offense when he took over... then the passing game took off (more than doubled) the year after he left.  At BC, he took over a passing team and immediately flipped scripts again (with the exact same QB/RB combo)... QB went from 3000 yard passer to under 2000... RB went from 500  to over 2000.  

If we thought Mularkey ran the ball too much, let's wait till we see when our offense is doubling our rushing to passing output.

i mean....it looks like it worked at BC. their scoring output increased dramatically.

Just now, TitanRedd said:

To me I believe Henry can do it, all he needs is carries to get in rhythm, he’ll also take his game to another level if he works on 4 things, pass blocking, agility work, route running & losing weight. He loves to bounce & get to the perimeter being light on his feet will help his burst. Eddie played at 230 & was the same height as Henry & he’s 247

No the problem will be interior oline...but just having teams not know what we are doing on offense will do wonders for us.

Found some quotes from his hiring in Philly... paints a way better picture... but I'm still hella worried about the actual results.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/01/25/who-is-ryan-day/

Steve Addazio:

I thought Ryan was a bright, young coach who really gets it...I had a great relationship with him at Florida. I watched how he recruited, how he handled himself. I thought he was a sharp guy. I have a great deal of respect for him...  He’s an excellent teacher. He understands a lot of different styles of offense... He relates well to players. He did a great job recruiting. A tireless competitor.

Austin Tedescom from Boston.com

He showed an ability to adapt his style to the team’s talent during his two years running BC’s offense. In his first season he organized a power running attack behind Heisman finalist Andre Williams, who rushed for more than 2,000 yards. Last season, Day took advantage of quarterback Tyler Murphy’s running ability and mixed in an option game that helped knock off then No. 9 USC and lead the Eagles to a 7-6 record.

Chip Kelly:

He [Ryan Day] played for me and I coached with him...He was a great kid and one of the bright minds as well as one of the best players I have ever coached. I think he is one of the best young coaches in the country and it was just a matter of time before he was running the show, offensively, somewhere.

Day in 2012 about his own philosophy:

My philosophy is to always be on the attack, always be aggressive, and to create as much conflict as we can on the defense... We’re going to do that in a lot of different ways. We’re going to have to be aggressive, we’re going to try to play fast, we’re going to always be on the attack, play tough, play hard-nosed with a lot of energy, and those are the key components to being successful.

Day in 2013 about Kelly's schemes:

Coach Kelly is a master of playing really, really fast, which has become an edge for him.  Going into my senior year, he told me in the off season to lose some weight. I wasn’t super mobile. We ran zone option, side to side. From there on, his quarterbacks have run a little bit. But I wasn’t Colin Kaepernick by any means. I was able to run the offense, and I wasn’t running by too many people in the secondary. The best thing I can say about Coach is that he’s always been able to adapt his offense to the personnel that he has. He was like that at UNH and then at Oregon. But coach Kelly’s offensive background is in a lot of things, the run-and-shoot. He has backgrounds in the pro passing game, the spread, and read-option.

He’ll take the best things the Eagles can do and he’ll use them. One of his greatest strengths as a coach is he’s a great thinker on his feet—that’s accurate. His players love playing for him. I played for him 10, 12 years ago and he’s one of my closest friends in college coaching. I can thank him for everything in football that I’ve had. He leaves an impact on people’s lives.

Archived