Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Didn't Blaine Gabbert have his first decent season and actually looked like a potential pro QB when he was with San Francisco and Day as a QB Coach?

57%, 5:6 ratio, 154 ypg, and a 68 rating

Kaep took over and actually put up decent stats... 16:4 ratio, 91 rating, 468 rushing yards... but how much of that is the QB coach... and how much was the Chip's scheme?

I see a lot make the Kelly connection... and I see the history there... but again I just don't see the results when he's had his hands on the keys... 

9 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Should we be worried about our new HC when his choice for OC is considering the job rather than hearing about him accepting the job?

I think the issue is more to do with Meyer's apparent "2 year pledge" that he asks of everyone he hires.  Apparently, no one's broken this pledge before... and it's believed that Day himself passed on a HC opportunity at Miss St. due to this.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2018/1/21/16916276/ohio-state-ryan-day-considering-jump-to-nfl-tennessee-titans

Day has been instrumental in recruiting during his first year at OSU, including being one of the main factors in Texas-QB Matthew Baldwin committing to the Buckeyes in December.

If Day was to leave for the Titans, he would be the first OSU assistant to break Meyer’s two-year pledge for assistant coaches. In order to build stability in his staff, since coming to Columbus, Meyer has asked that his assistants commit to staying with the Buckeyes for at least two seasons. However, given for whom Day would be leaving to work for, Meyer might let this one slide.

Adaptability and playing to the strengths of the players. Those are the two things I want more than anything when it comes to whoever we choose for our OC. Those two things are among the biggest reasons Mularkey/Robiskie failed offensively.

It appears that's something Day believes in. Hopefully(if we do hire him) it's not all talk when it comes to that.

26 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I think the issue is more to do with Meyer's apparent "2 year pledge" that he asks of everyone he hires.  Apparently, no one's broken this pledge before... and it's believed that Day himself passed on a HC opportunity at Miss St. due to this.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2018/1/21/16916276/ohio-state-ryan-day-considering-jump-to-nfl-tennessee-titans

Thanks for the info. Don’t like the sound of that - hopefully Vrabel has a good second choice. 

As a Michigan fan I would say that it's hard to judge Day based on hi work with Ohio St. JT Barrett is a very inaccurate passer and they like Michigan play many inferior opponents that they can just dominate with their offensive line. Given MM's above average accuracy I think it is more about creating better passing lanes by not having 14 players in front of him on the line of scrimmage, which I think his system would do.

1 minute ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

As a Michigan fan I would say that it's hard to judge Day based on hi work with Ohio St. JT Barrett is a very inaccurate passer and they like Michigan play many inferior opponents that they can just dominate with their offensive line. Given MM's above average accuracy I think it is more about creating better passing lanes by not having 14 players in front of him on the line of scrimmage, which I think his system would do.

That and he was only there for 1 season in an offense that is really Urban's. Tough to take much from his time at Ohio State.

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

Day makes me NERVOUS

I understand. But if we want to go outside the box a little. It's gonna take some risk. 

Also the best OC are Head coaches. But I personally  don't want a head coach just because he was a good OC. 

It is going to take a little risk on someone unproven to really hit or just take an old dog. 

Archived