Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

33 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

He didn't say he was calling plays. He pretty much said he is the coach and he can call anything he wants if he wants. Saying it all starts and ends with him. 

He said if he wants to take a shot, he will. If he wants to go for it. He will. Etc. 

But he didn't say he'd call plays. He said in interviews that he will be wherever it is needed that week. Spoke of having knowledge and studying all phases of the game. 

Exactly but I keep hearing people say that he said he was calling plays and I thought I missed something in the PC yesterday. Think it was Withrow today.

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Exactly but I keep hearing people say that he said he was calling plays and I thought I missed something in the PC yesterday. Think it was Withrow today.

sounds like media people doing what they do and getting worked up over nothing lol

Why we need someone like Bettcher in our lives.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/01/james-bettcher-arizona-cardinals-head-coach-candidate

Bettcher, perhaps overly prepared for his play-calling debut, had concocted an intricate substitution plan that would match Payton move for move. The Cardinals spent that first series running guys on and off the field . . . as Drew Brees easily marched the Saints on a 12-play drive that ended in a short field goal. On the sideline, veteran safety Rashad Johnson implored his new coordinator to quit subbing and just let his men play.

Bettcher listened. “You have to,” says the 39-year-old, reflecting back earlier this season. “I’ve learned that lesson, sometimes the hard way. You have this preconception of this scheme or that scheme. But sometimes what you do best overrides what the best scheme is. In-game, hearing what guys are saying coming off the field and having those conversations, that’s important.”

Against the Saints, after that first series, Bettcher simplified things on the fly. The Cardinals gave up just 16 more points, winning 31-19. It would be the first of many strong outings by this defense.

13 hours ago, -Hope- said:

man, we got choc and titanrick back in the fold, it's like the greatest hits tour up in here....now where's gibby and spaceman when you need em lol

We definitely need Spiff for a greatest hits tour.  My musical talents began and ended on the recorder.

9 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Right. I think I've listened to and read every thing he's said in the last 48 hours. lol   He hasn't hinted at wanting to call the ALL the plays on defense. He will do what most coaches do and put himself in a call when he feels like it. "Hey Bettcher (I'm calling it..lol) let's blitz them here."  And hopefully he would have a DC that is on board with him. He isn't necessarily calling "the play" but he is saying what he wants. As he should, he is the boss. He worked to get to that point, he earned the right to make the call if he wants. 

Not saying he will say "Bettcher (again, I'm calling it..lol) run 46 Dogg Zone next." But hopefully he'll trust his DC (Bettcher..lol)  enough to make the right call.

Apparently Vrabel said (paraphrasing Kuharsky) "if it's not acceptable in a loss, it's not acceptable in a win". 

That quote embodies why I despised Mularkey. It always felt like he was prefectly content (even defensive about) playing like **** as long as they won the game.

Honestly even many fans seemed to take that stance early in the season because we were 8-4 and I just find it appalling. If you're playing like ****, you're playing like ****, I dont care if you notched one in the win column or not you have to preach getting better, not preach or defend being content.

You may win some games that way just based on being a more talented roster, as we saw last year, but you will never reach greatness. 

Im curious to see how Arizona aligned their defense. In our defense, Orakpo and Morgan didn't swap sides based on the strength of the offense, which is something a lot of teams who run the 4-3 under do. The LEO will always be on the weak side, generally aligned wider than normal, and the SAM will have the TE in man coverage duties if he's not rushing.

If we used Morgan as our LEO that would put Orakpo lined up outside the TE in the D gap.

If we hire him I want to watch and see how they use their personnel.

11 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Will we be patient enough to interview DeFilippo post Super Bowl? If we don't have our OC by Super Bowl could that imply something? Would DeFilippo even take the job?

Find out on the next episode of "Searching for our OC"...

I know this was a big difference in Vrabel and Wilks. Vrabel was more willing to go to college for staff where Wilks mainly wanted a older NFL experienced staff. 

According to the guy of the guy. 

Archived