Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

I will say while it sucks having to wait and I find myself checking throughout the day for definitive news on Vrabel's staff choices. I am glad the search is thorough and Vrabel appears to be trying to find the best candidates and not just a bunch of buddies or people nobody wants. Very refreshing.

I think Vrabel is the coach to take the Titans to and win a Super Bowl or maybe multiple. I really feel he is going to take this team to another level and I am so excited.

I feel like at this point it will be Callahan who is the OC. A hunch really we shall see. For DC who knows. Can't wait to find out who gets hired officially.

35 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

There's really no rush for us if we wanted to wait on Flip. I gotta believe that Vrabel has talked to somebody that clued him in on the type of offense that Flip is looking to run since he can't talk to him directly. Good things come to those who wait.

I thought teams could talk to coaches in the first week of the two weeks between CGs and SB?

Everyone seems to be all over this Fillipo guy, but if we remove this year with Wentz, what is the reasoning for it? I know it's not his one year as OC for the Browns. We don't even know what his contribution to Wentz success is.

I would say there actually is a chance the opinion of him is higher on the board than it is in the league.

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Everyone seems to be all over this Fillipo guy, but if we remove this year with Wentz, what is the reasoning for it? I know it's not his one year as OC for the Browns. We don't even know what his contribution to Wentz success is.

I would say there actually is a chance the opinion of him is higher on the board than it is in the league.

I've questioned this myself.  
Pederson calls the plays. It's what is hot. Anything dealing with the Eagles offense.  I'm apprehensive about him. I've been kind of convinced it would be a great hire based on reading and seeing a video or two. 
However...I'm not sure he is the best available. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I've questioned this myself.  
Pederson calls the plays. It's what is hot. Anything dealing with the Eagles offense.  I'm apprehensive about him. I've been kind of convinced it would be a great hire based on reading and seeing a video or two. 
However...I'm not sure he is the best available. 

Yeah I'm not necessarily sure Callahan wouldn't be the better option either the more I've thought about it. I think the biggest thing that started Flip's rise was that big feature article that was written on him about why he could be the next offensive mastermind to get a HC job down the line. He seems like he's really smart, a good teacher, and his development of Wentz along with what he's done with Foles throughout the postseason are positive marks for him.  If somebody had written a big feature article on Callahan I'm sure everybody would be clamoring for him the way they're clamoring for Flip.  I think it's mostly just circumstance as to why Flip is the hot name right now. I definitely don't think the gap between Callahan and Flip is large if there's even a gap at all. We just know more about Flip, because there's been more buzz around him.

1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

There's really no rush for us if we wanted to wait on Flip. I gotta believe that Vrabel has talked to somebody that clued him in on the type of offense that Flip is looking to run since he can't talk to him directly. Good things come to those who wait.

I don't believe for one second that they haven't "informally" spoken.  

I don't think Callahan would be a bad OC candidate... but I also don't believe he squeezed us in as an OC interview in between QB coach interviews with the Jets and Raiders.  He'd be focusing all his efforts on the OC job, and shift focus to QB coach spots only once the OC opportunity was no more.  I don't know... at least that's how I'd approach it... and from my perspective, I think Callahan is being looked at as a QB coach by us as well.  In this scenario , I have to believe Flip has already given the ok on that move as well.  

Or not... I can't imagine the NFL world is anything like any place I've ever worked at.  

56 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I don't believe for one second that they haven't "informally" spoken.  

I don't think Callahan would be a bad OC candidate... but I also don't believe he squeezed us in as an OC interview in between QB coach interviews with the Jets and Raiders.  He'd be focusing all his efforts on the OC job, and shift focus to QB coach spots only once the OC opportunity was no more.  I don't know... at least that's how I'd approach it... and from my perspective, I think Callahan is being looked at as a QB coach by us as well.  In this scenario , I have to believe Flip has already given the ok on that move as well.  

Or not... I can't imagine the NFL world is anything like any place I've ever worked at.  

There's so many moving parts to this whole thing and so many different ways to look at it.  I could also see a scenario where Callahan wanted to come on as our QB coach as opposed to the Jets or Raiders, because he felt like we were an easier route to an OC job if we wanted to go with Flip for OC right now. He could think that Flip will be getting a HC gig soon, and he could just move up to that spot. That could've even been something him and Vrabel discussed in their interview.  That'd definitely be the best possible scenario for us I think.  

After Bettcher left us, I'm not going to have too many dreams that seem too good to be true. They always are.

Just give me an OC with a background/affinity for west coast and spread concepts and let Mariota do what he does. 

As far as DC, just get someone who alligns their views with Vrabel and doesn't play the CBs 15 yards off.

Cosell said the Texans last year used a lot of multiple front looks, as we already know, and a lot of quarters (cover 4). If we go from being primarily a man team to a team that plays a lot more zone, I'm interested to see how the corners we already have will perform. The Patriots use a lot of multiple front looks but are primarily a man coverage team in cover 1.

25 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

There's so many moving parts to this whole thing and so many different ways to look at it.  I could also see a scenario where Callahan wanted to come on as our QB coach as opposed to the Jets or Raiders, because he felt like we were an easier route to an OC job if we wanted to go with Flip for OC right now. He could think that Flip will be getting a HC gig soon, and he could just move up to that spot. That could've even been something him and Vrabel discussed in their interview.  That'd definitely be the best possible scenario for us I think.  

I'm not convinced that a Brian Callahan offense is the best thing for us, after looking at the Lions on Youtube. I know it could change but a lot of the throws seem to be long developing throws that really depended on Stafford's arm strength.  Maybe it was just the highlights. I admit to not watching many Lions games..lol

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm not convinced that a Brian Callahan offense is the best thing for us, after looking at the Lions on Youtube. I know it could change but a lot of the throws seem to be long developing throws that really depended on Stafford's arm strength.  Maybe it was just the highlights. I admit to not watching many Lions games..lol

Greg Cosell said that the Lions offense was the current NFL offense he would most like to see Mariota in. A lot of short rhythm throws and throws to the RBs and TEs. A lot of shotgun also. He said people think of them as a vertical team because of Stafford's big arm, but they haven't been that way for a couple years.

Highlights are gonna be the big plays, obviously. Probably dont put too many 5 yard slants in the highlight reel unless he's getting 30 YAC lol.

Just now, TitanSS said:

Greg Cosell said that the Lions offense was the current NFL offense he would most like to see Mariota in. A lot of short rhythm throws and throws to the RBs and TEs. A lot of shotgun also. He said people think of them as a vertical team because of Stafford's big arm, but they haven't been that way for a couple years.

Yeah I heard Cosell's interview. But just looking at the highlights..lol 
I guess they won't show a lot of 5-9 yard completions on the highlights. 

Let's also remember that just because Callahan's last team was the Lions doesn't mean we'll run the exact same offense they ran.

He also coached under names such as Mike McCoy, Josh McDaniels, Adam Gase and Gary Kubiak. I'm sure there's things he can draw from all of them(and maybe even Jon Gruden considering his dad was OC under him in Oakland).

Archived