Titans Hire Mike Vrabel as Head Coach

TitanLegend

35 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Every coach has their downfalls and positives. And Bosa may not like him, but the Texans LBs have nothing but great things to say about him, so I dunno. But when you have 53(or in the case of college like 90+ players) in a locker room, there are gonna be differing opinions on how coaches should be. Some respond well to extremely strict and can't stand "players coaches", some respond well to "players coaches" and can't stand the strict ones.

Vrabel's success will depend on his staff, like almost every coach in the NFL.

Texans defense was destroyed by injuries too, so I dunno exactly how much he's at fault for their downfall in performance, but Romeo Crennel was still very involved with the defense and it still occurred and we know Crennel is as good as it gets at DC, so not like it's entirely on Vrabel.

Everything I've read is he's a great leader, and if he hires a good offensive staff I'll be good with the hire. If he pulls a Pete Carroll with his staff I'll probably be wishing we didn't fire Mularkey.

Absolutely true that coaches mesh with different players in differing ways.

Also, you're correct that he has great leadership intangibles and that the Texans sustained serious injuries,

But as an Ohioan and Buckeye alum I have nothing but love for Vrabel's journey, grind, and ascendance as a Coach.

However, I have clear memories of not just Bosa but Tyquan Lewis and many other DLs and LBs at OSU making comments that suggested he may have alienated some players and that his style didn't mesh well.

That surprised me some, and I just made note of it while watching Vrabel's rise through coaching ranks.

Nothing is more truer than a HC excels in large part due to the coaching staff he assembles.

In that regard, it's hard to believe Vrabel will be able to assemble a top tier staff, but i could be wrong.

I wish him the best.

Not sure I'm a fan of this one... let him have some success as a coordinator before considering him as a head coach... smells like Vance Joseph 2.0 tbh... one hell of a positional coach, well liked guy, but hired after only one ( and disastrous at that) year of being a coordinator. 

Hope he has the TIME OF HIS LIFE, though. 

To his credit, he was the guy who coached up Jadevion Clowney and got him to play to his talent level. 

To his detriment, he was the guy who really gummed up this secondary this past season. It was more than the loss of AJ Bouye (which was a huge loss) you had veterans consistently out of place and looking confused. 

11 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

To his credit, he was the guy who coached up Jadevion Clowney and got him to play to his talent level. 

To his detriment, he was the guy who really gummed up this secondary this past season. It was more than the loss of AJ Bouye (which was a huge loss) you had veterans consistently out of place and looking confused. 

All part of his master plan to help the Titans tbh

Unless he takes over the defensive side of the ball, and becomes the de facto DC, his previous experience is only an indicator, and not the overall deciding factor.

This is the inverse of Peter Principle (When people only get promoted, for their performance in their old position, to a new position with a completely different skill set requirement. Which causes a talent depletion in their old position, but doesn't create immediate value in their next one).

It's a random hire (one of the theorized solutions to counter the Peter Principle) which could be good or bad.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, if you assume this season meant nothing and he'll completely turn it around next year than maybe, but he wasn't close to a top 10-12 QB this year. 

I love how Jags fans just act like his first two seasons in the league (a bigger sample size than just this year...) never happened...

1 minute ago, renndawg37 said:

I love how Jags fans just act like his first two seasons in the league (a bigger sample size than just this year...) never happened...

No one is taking that away, but why should we base what the future holds for him on 2-3 years ago instead of this year? 

Sorry, but I'm not going to just assume after a down year (which he definitely had) that everything just straightens back out. Generally when people talk about what the future holds for a player they don't look back 2-3 years ago and base what they expect in the future off of that.

Just now, .Buzz said:

No one is taking that away, but why should we base what the future holds for him on 2-3 years ago instead of this year? 

Sorry, but I'm not going to just assume after a down year (which he definitely had) that everything just straightens back out. Generally when people talk about what the future holds for a player they don't look back 2-3 years ago and base what they expect in the future off of that.

Also, it's not just Jaguars fans. It's been pretty widely stated on here.

34 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Unless he takes over the defensive side of the ball, and becomes the de facto DC, his previous experience is only an indicator, and not the overall deciding factor.

This is the inverse of Peter Principle (When people only get promoted, for their performance in their old position, to a new position with a completely different skill set requirement. Which causes a talent depletion in their old position, but doesn't create immediate value in their next one).

It's a random hire (one of the theorized solutions to counter the Peter Principle) which could be good or bad.

Wasn't familiar with this principle, looked it up on wikipedia and it's pretty interesting. Seems like a good hire based on this principle. A hire based on traits needed for the position rather than performance at a different position.

3 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

This makes me feel old.

How do you think us Buckeye fans feel? Fickell is the UC head coach after having the interim job at tOSU and now Vrabel is the head coach for the Titans. Makes me wonder what Matt Finkes is up to.

Archived