Have the Ravens thought about...

RavensfanRD

Have the Ravens thought about asking The Greatest QB of All-Time to take a paycut? Since everyone loves sizing up Flacco to Big Ben, Venom Brady, etc, these two have taken cuts. Would this be an ideal situation for the Ravens to ask him to take one to help build the offense? Or is it too late and the Ravens are just biding time for 2019 when Flacco is cut then goes to an NFC and wins a championship? QUESTION MARK?

The Ravens have no leverage to ask Flacco for a pay cut. Maybe when they can actually open up some cap room by cutting him, but not a moment before then. It's not happening otherwise. Nor should it. In a league with unguaranteed contracts players should keep every penny they can get. 

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

The Ravens have no leverage to ask Flacco for a pay cut. Maybe when they can actually open up some cap room by cutting him, but not a moment before then. It's not happening otherwise. Nor should it. In a league with unguaranteed contracts players should keep every penny they can get. 

Oh I agree! The Teams get away with murder no doubt, but that's why I pointed out Brady and such. Patriots didn't have leverage with him either, but he still took one or two to help improve his side of the ball. Which is why I brought up the comparison. But it'll be cut after next year anyway, so it doesn't matter I guess, lol.

I'm not sure that Brady has taken a pay cut any time recently - its more been that he's re-signed for well under market value so the Pats have more space to work with.  Its a subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless.

And as c0 said, why would Flacco accept one?  He knows that we can't realistically cut him and its not as if we're really close to a SB and an extra $5m could make the difference between winning one or not.  Its might be an option for next off-season once cutting him becomes financially viable

It's far easier for Brady to sign contracts for less than market value, when his wife makes more money than he ever will. His entire mindset differs from most other QBs, because he's at a stage where all that is left for him to do prove he's the best QB in history.

Flacco, on the other hand, is fighting a career long battle to be taken seriously. And whether he's good enough, or paid the right amount, is immaterial to the public perception that would result from him accepting a pay cut. It's just not something NFL players are engineered to consider, unless it's the only way of staying with a team they love.

And I'm sure that, if asked, his agent would say that the Ravens have plenty of cap space with which to provide Flacco with the weapons to succeed. If they choose to spend it elsewhere, it's their responsibility.

2 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

It's far easier for Brady to sign contracts for less than market value, when his wife makes more money than he ever will. His entire mindset differs from most other QBs, because he's at a stage where all that is left for him to do prove he's the best QB in history.

Flacco, on the other hand, is fighting a career long battle to be taken seriously. And whether he's good enough, or paid the right amount, is immaterial to the public perception that would result from him accepting a pay cut. It's just not something NFL players are engineered to consider, unless it's the only way of staying with a team they love.

And I'm sure that, if asked, his agent would say that the Ravens have plenty of cap space with which to provide Flacco with the weapons to succeed. If they choose to spend it elsewhere, it's their responsibility.

At the point where they're at, what's the point between $100M and $500M? Yeah, it's easier for Brady to take the pay cut, but Flacco's already made a RIDICULOUS amount of money, and he's set for life and so are his children and family. It's not like he's risking anything by taking a pay cut.

But, as others have said, right now he's got no reason (other than if he wants to actually win...) to take a pay cut.

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

At the point where they're at, what's the point between $100M and $500M? Yeah, it's easier for Brady to take the pay cut, but Flacco's already made a RIDICULOUS amount of money, and he's set for life and so are his children and family. It's not like he's risking anything by taking a pay cut.

That depends on your lifestyle and family, I guess. For some people, $100M would not be enough to last a lifetime, as evidenced by the number of NFL players who go broke after they stop playing. Now, I very much doubt Joe is frivolous or unwise with his money, but that still doesn't mean he wouldn't want to earn as much as he can to provide the best life possible for his family.

And as I already said, it's not Joe's fault if the Ravens choose to invest the lions share of the rest of their draft picks and cap space in the defense. That's due to a series of decisions the front office made. Other teams pay their QBs huge amounts but still have cap space for offensive playmakers, or manage to draft them. Joe's contract is not the problem, here.

7 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

That depends on your lifestyle and family, I guess. For some people, $100M would not be enough to last a lifetime, as evidenced by the number of NFL players who go broke after they stop playing. Now, I very much doubt Joe is frivolous or unwise with his money, but that still doesn't mean he wouldn't want to earn as much as he can to provide the best life possible for his family.

And as I already said, it's not Joe's fault if the Ravens choose to invest the lions share of the rest of their draft picks and cap space in the defense. That's due to a series of decisions the front office made. Other teams pay their QBs huge amounts but still have cap space for offensive playmakers, or manage to draft them. Joe's contract is not the problem, here.

Agreed 100%

And has never been a problem when you actually pay attention and look at the entire thing. But I thought this would be a fun thread to get the juices flowing. Hopefully the Ravens get it right this year in regards to the drafting piece.

33 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Really? Flacco had the #1 cap hit of any QB last year, and 3x more than any player on our team

This year he'll be 3rd in the NFL for cap hits. How can you say, with the way Flacco's played the past 2 years, that that's "not the probelm, here" when every year we talk about not being able to sign good FA's because of our cap situation?

4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Really? Flacco had the #1 cap hit of any QB last year, and 3x more than any player on our team

This year he'll be 3rd in the NFL for cap hits. How can you say, with the way Flacco's played the past 2 years, that that's "not the probelm, here" when every year we talk about not being able to sign good FA's because of our cap situation?

Because he afforded you that luxury in years 1, 2 and 3 of his deal when he was making like 8 million dollars. You know, when folks like Alex Smith, Cutler, Sanchez and friends were making more than the Superbowl MVP? Flacco's cap hit was literally was like 16th or 17th. That's just the Ravens paying for temporary relief. AND the fact that his "mega" deal really was a 3 year deal anyway in which the Ravens, imo, got away with murder. lol

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

Because he afforded you that luxury in years 1, 2 and 3 of his deal when he was making like 8 million dollars. You know, when folks like Alex Smith, Cutler, Sanchez and friends were making more than the Superbowl MVP? Flacco's cap hit was literally was like 16th or 17th. That's just the Ravens paying for temporary relief. AND the fact that his "mega" deal really was a 3 year deal anyway in which the Ravens, imo, got away with murder. lol

Sure, I mean justify it however you'd like, but his cap hit is a problem right now with the way the roster is constructed vs. how bad he's been for years.

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Sure, I mean justify it however you'd like, but his cap hit is a problem right now with the way the roster is constructed vs. how bad he's been for years.

Not justifying, just giving you facts my dude. Ravens had the luxury of paying Flacco peanuts for a very long time, but like normal, they push all the hard money into future years beyond their control. And like you said, its a problem the way the roster has been constructed, another Front Office problem. Still believe a full gut is coming in 2019 myself though.

1 minute ago, RavensfanRD said:

Not justifying, just giving you facts my dude. Ravens had the luxury of paying Flacco peanuts for a very long time, but like normal, they push all the hard money into future years beyond their control. And like you said, its a problem the way the roster has been constructed, another Front Office problem. Still believe a full gut is coming in 2019 myself though.

I wouldn't say having the 17th, 11th, and 12th highest cap hits for QB's in 2013, 2014, and 2015 are "peanuts", but I guess agree to disagree on that point. The thing is, we all expected it to be a 3 year deal and then restructure going forward - that didn't happen and now Flacco's cap has bubbled and killed our chances at signing FA's and his play has gotten worse since the years before 2012. The matter of the fact here is that it's a problem. It's holding the team back that we're paying a bottom-10 QB top-5 QB money right now with a top-3 QB cap hit. Flacco's a goddamn mad man for essentially holding one team hostage for 6 straight years while accomplishing nothing and being horrible in that timeframe, so hats off to him for that.

4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

The thing is, we all expected it to be a 3 year deal and then restructure going forward - that didn't happen and now Flacco's cap

I'm pretty sure it did happen, it just didn't lower his cap hit all that much (it went down from ~$30m/yr to ~$25m/yr), in large part because the market rate for QBs went up significantly after Flacco's initial contract set the market

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I'm pretty sure it did happen, it just didn't lower his cap hit all that much (it went down from ~$30m/yr to ~$25m/yr), in large part because the market rate for QBs went up significantly after Flacco's initial contract set the market

If the market rate for QB's went up after Flacco's contract and after we "restructured", he wouldn't still be among the league lead in cap hits.

Archived