Jake Ryan, pass coverage, and the future of the Packers ILB position

AlexGreen#20

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Straight up based on the eye test. Lots of games where they are invisible and you never hear their name. LIS I'm no expert, and no way I expect the same results as the Seattle game every week, but long stretches where you hear nothing.

If one of the issues is OLB, and Perry is under rated - are you saying all the problems are related to Clay ? 

Clay, Fackrell, and Lowry.

A pressure package of Clay-Perry-Daniels-Lowry-Marinez/Jones-Brooks/Fackrell is freaking brutal.

37 minutes ago, cannondale said:

CB: Wasn't it just yesterday we had more cornerbacks than we knew what to do with ? Three high picks and a FA signing later, still no answer if we have a No. 1 corner on the roster. Unacceptable if you want to field a formidable defense. I may projectile vomit if we draft another one in the first round.

This is such a bizarre take to me. Our CB situation is unacceptable so we should not invest high-value resources in that position?  

Great write-up by AG here. This kind of high quality content is the reason I come to this forum. 

23 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

This is such a bizarre take to me. Our CB situation is unacceptable so we should not invest high-value resources in that position?  

Great write-up by AG here. This kind of high quality content is the reason I come to this forum. 

How many years should we continue ignoring the rest of the defense?  If you haven't found anyone by now, (2 number one picks, a number 2 and a FA signing),  open up the checkbook, solve the problem, and try your luck drafting at another position. I was irate at the amount of DL we drafted in order to find 3 as well . Then you wake up and wonder why the defense is talent poor. Then again, I already said I'd be a crappy GM

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We can win a SB with Jake Ryan at ILB, we are not winning SBs with last year's pass rush or DBs.

This couldn't be anymore true.  Does anyone truly believe that our ILB play was the reason for our defensive issues?  Hell no.

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

To elaborate on this point, and this is one for Packer fans to really noodle over, I keep seeing comparisons made between our ILBs and Barr and Kendricks in Minnesota (which is why I asked if you contend Barr plays the same position). Some have argued, apparently echoing what the previous GM and or DC apparently thought of the position, that allocating a 1st or 2nd round pick to the ILB position is completely foolish. Yet, the Vikings D, which features a (high) 1st round and mid-2nd round pick at ILB, has somehow prospered despite that "unwise" allocation of resources. 

You're making a horrible assumption by assuming that correlation equals causation.  Let me ask you this, do you truly believe that the Vikings' investments in Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr have a bigger impact on the Vikings have a strong defense than the play of their corners or pass rushers?

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This couldn't be anymore true.  Does anyone truly believe that our ILB play was the reason for our defensive issues?  Hell no.

No doubt in the grand scheme. We / I sometimes tend to critique in a vacuum when looking at the roster

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

No doubt in the grand scheme. We / I sometimes tend to critique in a vacuum when looking at the roster

You're way overcomplicating things here.  The issues that our defense had the last couple of years are easily, and more distinctly apparent.  Last year, the Packers were devastated by injuries in which we were forced to have an UDFA play as our #1 CB and a myriad of injuries left the Packers unable to compensate.  This year, our pass rush was inconsistent at best.  Those are two SIGNIFICANTLY bigger reasons for our defensive issues.  Blake Martinez and Jake Ryan weren't the issue.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

You're way overcomplicating things here.  The issues that our defense had the last couple of years are easily, and more distinctly apparent.  Last year, the Packers were devastated by injuries in which we were forced to have an UDFA play as our #1 CB and a myriad of injuries left the Packers unable to compensate.  This year, our pass rush was inconsistent at best.  Those are two SIGNIFICANTLY bigger reasons for our defensive issues.  Blake Martinez and Jake Ryan weren't the issue.

Despite the over embellishment of the CB situation (they sucked injured or healthy for the most part / scheme or otherwise) I agree. I think we can win with Martinez and Ryan if they are surrounded by needle movers, because they are not, and it would be great if they were. Is there anything wrong with that ?

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're making a horrible assumption by assuming that correlation equals causation.  Let me ask you this, do you truly believe that the Vikings' investments in Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr have a bigger impact on the Vikings have a strong defense than the play of their corners or pass rushers?

There is a silly notion going around, apparently based upon the drafting proclivities of a former GM, that taking ILBs in the 1st or 2nd round is, by definition, a bad allocation of draft resources. This is apparently true for some even if the best player at the draft spot is an ILBer.

So do you think the Vikes made a mistake taking Barr in the 1st and Kendricks in the 2nd and regret those decisions?

And, BTW how many 1st or 2nd round picks have the Vikes used on their DLine?

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Straight up based on the eye test. Lots of games where they are invisible and you never hear their name. LIS I'm no expert, and no way I expect the same results as the Seattle game every week, but long stretches where you hear nothing.

If one of the issues is OLB, and Perry is under rated - are you saying all the problems are related to Clay ? 

Isn't waiting to hear their name the ear test and not eye test? Hmmm

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clark's a 320lb NT On 3rd and 15, that guy shouldn't be in the game.

We used to be able to run: (Young/Steroid) Clay, Perry, Jones, Peppers, Daniels, (some ILB)

Thought I read Clark lost 10-15# this past off season to be quicker. He said he felt he was too slow with the extra weight... 305#-310#

Archived