Titans extend Jurrell Casey

ttitansfan4life

On 7/26/2017 at 4:57 PM, TitanLegend said:

I wonder if we'll be seeing any other extensions.

Some names to consider:

Jurrell Casey - Is signed through next season, but has outplayed his deal(he took quite the hometown discount for us when he signed his original extension). Even if we didn't bump his pay much,  locking him up for the foreseeable future would be wise.

;)

Glad to see it get done though. Most deserving player on the team.

For someone with more contract knowledge than me, does this mean he's now gonna make the 60.4 mil over 6 years, or the money from his previous contract that he's still owed will factor in as well(I think he's owed like 5.5 this year, 6.5 next year under his old deal, so would be something like 72.4 over 6), or does he play out his previous contract, then the extension money kicks in in 2019?

49 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

For someone with more contract knowledge than me, does this mean he's now gonna make the 60.4 mil over 6 years, or the money from his previous contract that he's still owed will factor in as well(I think he's owed like 5.5 this year, 6.5 next year under his old deal, so would be something like 72.4 over 6), or does he play out his previous contract, then the extension money kicks in in 2019?

If its an extension, it's in addition to his current deal.

But new money kicks in immediately in the form of bonuses... new signing bonus, roster bonuses, workout bonuses, etc.

If it was a restructure, it overwrites the previous contract... but from the text that's been put out there, it's an extension... so yes... he's got 6 years, 72M left... probably fully guaranteed all money the next 2 seasons... and guaranteed for injury only a year or 2 after that... totaling the 40M in Guarantees.  

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

If its an extension, it's in addition to his current deal.

But new money kicks in immediately in the form of bonuses... new signing bonus, roster bonuses, workout bonuses, etc.

If it was a restructure, it overwrites the previous contract... but from the text that's been put out there, it's an extension... so yes... he's got 6 years, 72M left... probably fully guaranteed all money the next 2 seasons... and guaranteed for injury only a year or 2 after that... totaling the 40M in Guarantees.  

Yup.

So signed through 2022. So he'll be 33 at that point. Given his style and the fact that he's adding strength, it's possible he sees his way through the entire contract. Loading the new deal with significant bonuses and guarantees over the next two years was the right move given the raises that Mariota and Lewan will likely be in line for starting in 2019.

49 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

33/34 is usually the point where d-linemen start slowing down, so works out about right.

As he ages (obviously we're a ways away from this day), you think he's the kind of guy that could eventually put on a little weight and slide to NT? Obviously he's only listed at 305, but he's not a tall guy and if he's already actively working to add strength, it seems like something that could extend his career once he gets into his 30s.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

As he ages (obviously we're a ways away from this day), you think he's the kind of guy that could eventually put on a little weight and slid to NT? Obviously he's only listed at 305, but he's not a tall guy and if he's already actively working to add strength, it seems like something that could extend his career once he gets into his 30s.

Probably could yeah. He's pretty similar in size to Williams(and I'm assuming LeBeau okayed signing him, and if LeBeau deems 6'2 313 to be big enough at NT, I'm certainly not going to argue it), and I wouldn't be shocked if Casey is up to 310-315ish, you can see some extra size especially in his upperbody. Casey's athleticism makes 0 sense for his size as is, so I dunno how much longer he's gonna have it. This upping his strength/size could be to combat that before it even begins.

Archived