Curious draft question for ya'll...

whodatworm23

I’ve been running 1st round mock drafts through my head all day and in most of the scenarios, the Saints end up in a peculiar position based on the prospects remaining on my big board and I was curious as to what direction many of ya’ll would prefer to see the Saints go in if in fact these particular scenarios would occur.  

Here’s how it’s going to work, the Saints will remain at pick #27 (no trading). All the top quarterbacks and linebackers are already off the board. I have a cloud of 6 prospects with a 1st round grade remaining on the board for the Saints to choose from. You’re the Saints GM but you HAVE to choose one of these 6 prospects at 27… Whom do you select and why?

#1. Rasheem Green, DE: Southern Cal

Green is a big, strong and versatile prospect that reminds me of Cameron Jordan when he was coming out of Cal. Like Jordan at the time, Green is often referred to as a 5 technique (34 DE) but his tape showcases the athletic ability to play either on the edge or rush from the interior.

NFL Comparison: Justin Tuck, New York Giants

#2. Christian Kirk, WR: Texas A&M

Kirk is an explosive playmaker with elite vertical speed. He’s also a very developed route runner with a full grasp of an NFL route tree. As an added bonus, Kirk is an electric kick returner making him a true potential game changer.

NFL Comparison, Odell Beckham Jr.: New York Giants

#3. Carlton Davis, CB: Auburn

Davis is a long, athletic and physical corner who excels in both man and zone coverage. He became a lockdown corner for the Tigers in the SEC and is an ideal fit for what the Saints look for at the position.

NFL Comparison: Darius Slay, Detroit Lions

#4. James Daniels, OC/OG: Iowa

Daniels is the next of a long line of great Iowa offensive lineman that become top NFL players. Daniels is big and physical yet has the room to add more weight. His athleticism stands out on film as he routinely clears his lane and has no issue getting to the second level of the defense and shielding linebackers. Daniels versatility to play either center or guard also increases his value.

NFL Comparison: Rodney Hudson, Oakland Raiders

#5. Ronnie Harrison, S: Alabama

Harrison is a load In the secondary but unlike many physical “in the box” safetys before him from Alabama, Harrison was used roaming the field as a last line of defense for the Tide’s championship defense. Still, at 6’3” 215lbs Harrison possesses the ability to be an impact defender on the next level as a strong safety and nickel linebacker.

NFL Comparison: Kam Chancellor, Seattle Seahawks

#6. Harrison Phillips, DT: Stanford

Phillips is an absolute bull on the interior of the defense using his impressive length, athleticism and brute power to consistently push and collapse the pocket from the inside. After registering 7 and a half sacks and leading his team in tackles as a 34 nose guard (how impressive is that), the former Cardinal enters the 2018 NFL draft as a rare breed of nose guard with the potential to play on all 3 downs.

NFL Comparison: Linval Joseph, Minnesota Vikings

So there they are… my cloud of 6 2018 NFL draft prospects that routinely pop up available to the Saints at 27th overall. You know the rules, make your pick and please explain why you did it.

WHODAT

One thing I know is that if a player they like drops a bit they will trade up to make sure they get him, like with Brandin Cooks. 

In this scenario I would love to see them trade back and try to get another pick, but the Saints don't usually do that. Not really sure who I would take here out of these prospects if a trading back isn't an option. I guess Rasheem Green? I know nothing about him, but if all the LBs are gone then I want the Saints to take the best DE/DT available.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

One thing I know is that if a player they like drops a bit they will trade up to make sure they get him, like with Brandin Cooks. 

In this scenario I would love to see them trade back and try to get another pick, but the Saints don't usually do that. Not really sure who I would take here out of these prospects if a trading back isn't an option. I guess Rasheem Green? I know nothing about him, but if all the LBs are gone then I want the Saints to take the best DE/DT available.

Looking back on Saints draft day trades under Loomis, Particularlly in the 1st round you never see a trade back and while their are a number of times he traded up the one constant I found was that our 3rd round pick was part of the compensation but the Saints always seemed to have their 2nd rounder at the time. In this years scenario the Saints are without a 2nd rounder making that 3rd rounder much more valuable to them than in recent years. This leads me to believe that the odds are in the favor of the Saints remaining at 27 and taking the best player that falls to them, especially with Ireland in the room.

35 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Looking back on Saints draft day trades under Loomis, Particularlly in the 1st round you never see a trade back and while their are a number of times he traded up the one constant I found was that our 3rd round pick was part of the compensation but the Saints always seemed to have their 2nd rounder at the time. In this years scenario the Saints are without a 2nd rounder making that 3rd rounder much more valuable to them than in recent years. This leads me to believe that the odds are in the favor of the Saints remaining at 27 and taking the best player that falls to them, especially with Ireland in the room.

I agree. I think they stay put at 27 and take the best player available, but if there was any time for them to break tradition and trade back it would be this year since we don't have a 2nd rounder. 

3 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I agree. I think they stay put at 27 and take the best player available, but if there was any time for them to break tradition and trade back it would be this year since we don't have a 2nd rounder. 

I'd agree with that as well but another thing to consider is that teams love that 5th year option the 1st round gives them these days if they hit on their pick.sure an additional 3rd or 4th would be nice but you have to weigh that aganist the value of having control over a top players rights for 5-6 years (if you include the FT). Another thing that the Saints do that I don't think they get enough credit for is that they are very much a foward thinking front office when it comes to premium picks (1st & 2nd round). so because of that when mocking them you can't just always focus on immediate need at the time. Players like Max Unger, Ted Ginn and Drew Brees will all be back in 2018 but due to age and salary cap constraints each of their positions are open to this front office drafting their successor as early as round 1 if the value is right.

Then again... this is not a very impressive draft depth wise and if the Saints are looking for an impact player then trading up might be there best bet.

One guy that I'd keep my eye on during the Senior bowl is Oklahoma DE/OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. If he can prove that he can play in space and hold his own in coverage, then he could rise up and sneek into the back half of round 1 as a Vic Beasley type SAM linebacker. If that happens, I would imagine the Saints would have strong intrest. 

22 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

One guy that I'd keep my eye on during the Senior bowl is Oklahoma DE/OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. If he can prove that he can play in space and hold his own in coverage, then he could rise up and sneek into the back half of round 1 as a Vic Beasley type SAM linebacker. If that happens, I would imagine the Saints would have strong intrest. 

...I watched Oklahoma alot this year and no player on that Oklahoma Defense is worthy of a 1st round pick. They couldn't stop anyone and to be apart of or leader of that Defense is a major ?.

28 minutes ago, livinspree said:

...I watched Oklahoma alot this year and no player on that Oklahoma Defense is worthy of a 1st round pick. They couldn't stop anyone and to be apart of or leader of that Defense is a major ?.

I agree that there defense as a whole was awful at times but when I scout a prospect I focus on his game, what is asked of him within the defensive scheme and how opposing teams deligate attention to him. Yes, Oklahoma had a bad defense but Okoronkwo flashed on tape with burst, instincts, bend, power and a really good spin move. I still feel he needs to show out at the senior bowl but he's clearly a top 50 talent in my book.

Archived