Jrry32 Second Mock Off-Season

jrry32

I thought I'd make a few changes from my first mock off-season in case the Rams decide not to re-sign all of our big names.
Cut
WR Tavon Austin
ILB Mark Barron

I don't see anyone trading us anything for Austin. Barron played well for us, but we can find a better fit for our scheme at a cheaper price.

Re-Sign/Extend
DT Aaron Donald
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
S LaMarcus Joyner
S Cody Davis
C John Sullivan
DT Tyrunn Walker
CB Troy Hill
HB Malcolm Brown
OLB Matt Longacre
LS Jake McQuaide

As you can see, we bring back quite a few of our guys, but we let Sammy Watkins and Trumaine Johnson walk. Both guys end up with asking prices that are just too high.

Free Agency
WR Paul Richardson
CB Bashaud Breeland
CB Aqib Talib
ILB Todd Davis
OLB Trent Murphy

Richardson steps in and replaces Watkins in the deep threat role. Like Robert Woods, I think his best football is ahead of him. He's still young, and he took major strides this year as a player. I think we can get him at a much cheaper price than Watkins for the same role. At the end of the day, we spread the ball around a lot, so we don't need an elite #1 WR.

Breeland steps in to replace Trumaine Johnson at a cheaper cost. He's also young and has been a bit inconsistent. At his best, he's shown Pro Bowl ability. At his worst, he's been toast. IMO, he was held back by Washington's litany of bad defensive coordinators (sorry, Coach Barry). This kid is a physical, press-man CB. I expect Wade to get the best out of him, and Breeland played for Aubrey Pleasant in Washington.

The Broncos are almost definitely going to cut Aqib Talib. He has a $12 million cap figure this year and cutting him would save $11 million. Talib will soon turn 32, but I think he still has good play left in him. I see us signing him to a one or two-year deal. He played for Wade in Denver and excelled in a major way. He's a knucklehead, but he also was one of the best CBs in the game under Wade.

Todd Davis started for Wade during his last year in Denver. Davis is a young, ascending player who fills a major need for us. Luckily, thumpers aren't that valued around the NFL. Davis is a great run-stuffing ILB, but he's a mediocre ILB in coverage. That's just fine for us. We need a thumper who can fill gaps.

Murphy is a guy we bring in on a "prove it" deal. He played for Joe Berry in Washington and had 9 sacks in 2016. However, Murphy was suspended four games for PED use in 2017 and then tore multiple ligaments in his knee in August of 2017. Murphy is familiar with coaches on our staff, sees a team that should contend, and sees a defense with a lot of pass rushers. He recognizes that this is a great opportunity for him to rehab his value to get a big contract in FA next year.

Is all of this possible in terms of cap dollars? Well, it'll be a tight squeeze, but Demoff is a wizard.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #23 - Da'Ron Payne NT Alabama
Round 3 Pick #23 - Josh Sweat OLB Florida State
Round 4 Pick #23 - Greg Senat OT Wagner
Round 5 Pick #23 - P.J. Hall DT Sam Houston State
Round 6 Pick #20 - Kalen Ballage HB Arizona State
Round 6 Pick #21 - Cody O'Connell OG/OT Washington State
Round 6 Pick #23 - Joel Lanning ILB Iowa State
Round 7 Pick #23 - Chucky Williams S Louisville

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Paul Richardson
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Da'Ron Payne
DT: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Robert Quinn
WILB: Alec Ogletree
SILB: Todd Davis
SOLB: Trent Murphy
LCB: Aqib Talib
RCB: Bashaud Breeland
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: John Johnson III

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

I love this offseason!  Although I do want Trumaine to stay, this is an upgrade. Payne would be a good fit and make our DLine unbelievable. Couldn't Josh Sweat fall to the 3rd/4th? This is a great CB class. What do you think of Jaire Alexander or Denzel Ward? I would love to us to draft Arden Key. Not sure how everyone feels about this.

I like it a lot! Our run defense is IMO the #1 thing we need to improve this off season and this goes a long way towards that. Senat is one of 2 or 3 guys I'm looking at as a 3rd or 4th round OT taken who could step in at RT first year if not he sits and learns from Whitworth and Kromer for a year or two which is just as good. 

I think this is a very sound and realistic offseason (you're killing everyone's fantasy's jrry). And that being said, it would be tough only getting one starter out of the draft for this year, but that is also likely seeing as where our picks fall. 

On 1/21/2018 at 4:21 AM, jrry32 said:

Is all of this possible in terms of cap dollars? Well, it'll be a tight squeeze, but Demoff is a wizard.

If we are moving away from both Sammy & Tru, plus cutting Tavon & Barron, I think there would be plenty of room to make the acquisitions you have on here. (especially with potential restructure/extensions like Saffold)

On 1/21/2018 at 4:21 AM, jrry32 said:

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #23 - Da'Ron Payne NT Alabama
Round 4 Pick #23 - Greg Senat OT Wagner

I am really starting to think that the missing piece of a dominant defense is a dynamic NT. There are 2 of them in this draft class (with a few other solid guys who would help that are on a second tier) and I really hope one of them falls to us at #23. I prefer the other guy, and hope Payne's Alabama hype pushes him to the top NT and we get a steal.

While I am intrigued by Senat, I am still not sure at this point. Very toolsy, but alot worries me as well. I get where you are going with this pick, and I want to do very similar things, but I also think there will be some OT talent that drops in this draft.

22 hours ago, I <3 Faulk said:

That's probably as good as it can get if we're not bringing back Tru and Watkins. Probably not in the budget but I have a feeling the Rams go hard after Jimmy Graham. 

I just dont see us having any real interest there. Graham is going to cash in this offseason. We have two young TEs that they seem to like, we just didnt implement them into the offense until late (as it seemed to me we were trying to fit Sammy in more)

If they really thought we needed to go that type of TE this offsesson, I would think it would be more likely that we would try to steal Reed from the Skins.

On 1/21/2018 at 1:01 PM, I <3 Faulk said:

That's probably as good as it can get if we're not bringing back Tru and Watkins. Probably not in the budget but I have a feeling the Rams go hard after Jimmy Graham. 

I think so too. Would love to have that security option for Goff. I get giddy thinking about Gurley and Graham running short routs while McVay gets creative with the WRs.

@jrry32  oh man love this mock offseason, I think you're spot on with the roster moves pre draft. Like I said on the first one of these you made. I don't think we pay Sammy a lot of money and I think we get a cheaper option than Trumaine in free agency. Talib is definitely on my radar and the connection makes sense with Wade Phillips.

A deep threat I'm looking at is Desean Jackson, he got a huge deal in Tampa and I feel they may cut him, not sure what the cap impact is with them. I'd love to see Desean and McVay team up again. 

Arden Key in the draft would be perfect, my favorite pass rusher would be Harold Landry. 

I'm not a hundred percent sold on Todd Davis. I've been asking some Broncos fans and they don't have nice things to say about him. I'm not sure how the ILB class is for the draft this year. But I'm hoping we can land someone there, free agent market isn't looking very appealing. 

We'd have some nice cap rooms to make moves. Excited about this off season.

53 minutes ago, Fragafootball said:

Oh man, that's perfect. 

He was my favorite player for years. I hate Jeff Fisher  for letting him go just to bring his lover Willie Hayes in. 

Long and Hayes were on the team together for like 5 years?

Plus I highly doubt that Chris Long will ever be back on the Rams.

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

Why wouldn't he?

I wouldn't say never, but he has basically sided with St. Louis on the whole moving of the franchise thing multiple times. (He and James Laurinatis both) I think those guys like the idea that they are "St. Louis" Rams, and were never "LA" Rams , much like most of the old timers did when they moved to St. Louis.

Plus I doubt there is any shortage of market for him, the way he has been playing, his scheme versatility, and now been to back-to-back Super Bowls?

Just dont see him ever putting on Rams Horns again.

Archived