Jrry32 Second Mock Off-Season

jrry32

Haven’t been on here in a while, but we enjoyed a great season (still disappointing though).

Payne is a good player, and while a good NT is needed, I have a hard time using the first pick on one.  Especially in this defense where he wouldn’t be an every-down player.  I think a decent NT could be obtained later or in FA.

I like all the FA moves however.  I see Talib and Davis as two very realistic and solid options.

1 hour ago, RamRod said:

Was wondering where were hiding @DEE RAWL. Good to see you back.

Thanks brother, been neglecting my forum duties haha.  Going to try and get back to being more active on here.  Was too busy coaching and enjoying the successful season we’ve been wishing for and now its time for the fun off-season discussion and creativity.

8 hours ago, DEE RAWL said:

Haven’t been on here in a while, but we enjoyed a great season (still disappointing though).

Payne is a good player, and while a good NT is needed, I have a hard time using the first pick on one.  Especially in this defense where he wouldn’t be an every-down player.  I think a decent NT could be obtained later or in FA.

I like all the FA moves however.  I see Talib and Davis as two very realistic and solid options.

Whose to say the NT wouldn't be an every-down or at least a 3-down player if he's capable of it?  NT's in this class like Payne and Vea are 3-down-capable, they're not just the 2-down plugs.  Trust me, as someone who watched a Wade Phillips 3-4 for a number of years when he was on Schottenheimer's staff, if he has an NT who can rush the passer, Wade's going to leave that guy on the field in most situations.  He did it with Jamal Williams, he did it with Jay Ratliff.  Heck, until Knighton got himself back to being out of shape, he was leaving him in passing downs for Denver at the nose.

The depth of the starting-capable (I'm not talking the ceiling to be a stud, but the capability of carving out an 8+ year career as a starter in this league) CB's in this draft is substantially better than the depth of 3-down-capable NT's.  If we're willing to look past character issues that aren't all that recent, which we've shown willing to do in previous drafts, there are guys like J.C. Jackson in this class who will still be there at the tail end of Day 2 or possibly even into the top of Day 3 who actually offer both ceiling and capable-longevity.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:00 PM, StLunatic88 said:

I wouldn't say never, but he has basically sided with St. Louis on the whole moving of the franchise thing multiple times. (He and James Laurinatis both) I think those guys like the idea that they are "St. Louis" Rams, and were never "LA" Rams , much like most of the old timers did when they moved to St. Louis.

Plus I doubt there is any shortage of market for him, the way he has been playing, his scheme versatility, and now been to back-to-back Super Bowls?

Just dont see him ever putting on Rams Horns again.

Yeah, I think part of what factors into that for Chris too is that he grew up with his dad as a lifelong Raider and all but one of those years in LA (which included all the years Chris was alive that his dad was playing).

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Whose to say the NT wouldn't be an every-down or at least a 3-down player if he's capable of it?  NT's in this class like Payne and Vea are 3-down-capable, they're not just the 2-down plugs.  Trust me, as someone who watched a Wade Phillips 3-4 for a number of years when he was on Schottenheimer's staff, if he has an NT who can rush the passer, Wade's going to leave that guy on the field in most situations.  He did it with Jamal Williams, he did it with Jay Ratliff.  Heck, until Knighton got himself back to being out of shape, he was leaving him in passing downs for Denver at the nose.

The depth of the starting-capable (I'm not talking the ceiling to be a stud, but the capability of carving out an 8+ year career as a starter in this league) CB's in this draft is substantially better than the depth of 3-down-capable NT's.  If we're willing to look past character issues that aren't all that recent, which we've shown willing to do in previous drafts, there are guys like J.C. Jackson in this class who will still be there at the tail end of Day 2 or possibly even into the top of Day 3 who actually offer both ceiling and capable-longevity.

And we may not need to address CB in the Draft depending on how FA and re-signings go. Assuming we re-sign NRC, that'll leave us with Kayvon, NRC, Hill, and Peterson. If we add Talib to replace Tru, that leaves us with Talib, Kayvon, NRC, Hill, and Peterson. If we add another younger FA CB, we're set at the position. Depending on how FA goes, drafting a CB might become a complete luxury.

But yes, I agree on Payne. Wade prefers not to leave his base defense. And he prefers to keep his NT on the field. 

8 hours ago, yoinesh123 said:

What do people think of Tyrell Cosby or Alex Cappa?(Both have stood out at Senior Bowl practices.) 

They are both nice prospects, that are likely to be overdrafted (somewhere in the second, where we dont have a pick)

If we end up with an OT out of this class, I think it will be one of these small school prospects (like Cappa) in the 4th/5th/6th round

• Greg Senat - Wagner
  • Jamil Demby - Maine
  • Brandon Parker - North Carolina A&T
  • Desmond Harrison - West Georgia

Ive actually been digging into Jamarco Jones from Ohio St recently, color me intrigued. I think its inevitable we get a project OT out of this draft somewhere.

35 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

They are both nice prospects, that are likely to be overdrafted (somewhere in the second, where we dont have a pick)

If we end up with an OT out of this class, I think it will be one of these small school prospects (like Cappa) in the 4th/5th/6th round

• Greg Senat - Wagner
  • Jamil Demby - Maine
  • Brandon Parker - North Carolina A&T
  • Desmond Harrison - West Georgia

Ive actually been digging into Jamarco Jones from Ohio St recently, color me intrigued. I think its inevitable we get a project OT out of this draft somewhere.

Brandon Parker and Desmond Harrison intrigue me with their size, length and athleticism. Curious to see how they fare the rest of the week and how they look come combine time. Senior Bowl week is apparently big for our staff as Snead has historically drafted a lot of guys who are there this week. 

50 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Where did the two extra 6th rounders come from?

Also, didn't we trade our 7th for Carrier?

Asking out of curiosity

We got Buffalo's 6th round pick back in the Watkins trade

We got the Lions 6th for Greg Robinson

We did trade our own 7th for Carrier, but we sent Givens to Baltimore for a conditional 7th in 2018. I think we get it.

You two are correct we did trade our 7th for Carrier so we do not pick in the 7th round this year. And we received Baltimore's 7th round pick last year Lunatic that's the one we used to pick Ejuan Price 7-16 #234. It was moved from a 6th to a 7th and escalated a year because he was cut from the Ravens.

Archived