Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

Anthony Barr: “It starts with my effort, and I tend on picking that up. That’s a big emphasis for me this offseason, and I feel good right now. Third down, red zone, two-minute situations, those are all areas that we can improve on. I think if we can improve in those areas, we’ll improve as a unit. We got no egos in our room; everyone pulls for one another. We all want to be great, we all push each other to be great. I learn stuff from them, they learn stuff from me, it goes both ways. There are open lines of communication, and they’re improving every day.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Notebook-Michael-Floyd-Focused-on-Improvement-Work-Ethic/f33b7500-4e81-4230-9490-2be9ad50b74f?sf101686234=1

If Barr can make that next step and be the player we all hope he can be, that will be the difference between a top-10 and top-3 defense. I think he is really going to want to prove that last year was just a down year, not the norm.

20 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

If Barr can make that next step and be the player we all hope he can be, that will be the difference between a top-10 and top-3 defense. I think he is really going to want to prove that last year was just a down year, not the norm.

I think it's a make or break season for Barr. Is he mediocre or a game changer? Barr will need to play well this year to earn a contract extension.

Barr s getting a contract extension. It's just a matter of how much. He's a good linebacker, with the ability to be great.

Even if he plays the rest of his career at the level he played last year, he's a good LB. And last I checked, you still need those. 

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Barr s getting a contract extension. It's just a matter of how much. He's a good linebacker, with the ability to be great.

Even if he plays the rest of his career at the level he played last year, he's a good LB. And last I checked, you still need those. 

Good 4-3 OLBs aren't terribly hard to find and they aren't a premium position. If Barr can be a more transcending player for the position, you've got to keep him. If he's ordinary, I might not be so willing to pay him given some of the extensions that have to happen (Diggs, Kendricks, Hunter, Rhodes). Kendricks might be the more valuable LB going forward.

I wouldn't bank on Barr being extended if he has another mediocre year. He does have potential, but the premium price he will command as a high draft pick, who has had some success, is a pass rush threat, and easy ability to switch to a 3-4 pass rush scheme will net him more than it would be worth for us. He can be an excellent player for us, but he needs to be utilized in blitzing and pass rushes more, and he needs to get better in coverage because he was a liability last year. I have all the hope for Barr, and I really want him to succeed here, but another year like last year Andrew I just don't see keeping him being a financially smart move for the team when we could get a 4-3 OLB who has the same or a minimal drop in performance for a much more reasonable price. 

Barr stands to potentially make more money as a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 OLB. I could see Barr moving on for that reason. Barr is such a great natural fit to be a 3-4 OLB, I almost feel as if his talent is somewhat wasted in his current role.

perhaps he doesn't have the pass rush skills to be an edge rusher, but teams have spent FA money on potential all the time.

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

We don't exactly have anyone on offense that's going to break the bank. 

Bradford will be expensive if he improves over last year. 

Diggs will need a new contract soon.

If Thielen keeps producing, will he want a raise?

part of why the offense doesn't have many expensive players is because the OL is bad, RB is a rookie and the TE is under contract.

i don't think MN can afford to lose Hunter and Kendricks. Joseph is also extremely valuable. I'm torn on Barr.

It's not a certainty that Bradford is gets a contract from Minnesota. In fact, I'd lean towards him not. 

Diggs isn't going to be that expensive unless his production takes a massive leap forward. 

Thielen just signed a long term deal. His production would also need to take a massive leap forward to think about getting a raise. Again, unlikely. 

And the o-line may not be great, but there are three expensive contracts in that group. Even if the team added better players, the cap numbers aren't going to rise much. 

Archived