Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

I like Anthony Barr. I think he's a good player and I expect him to be better this year than he was last.

however, with all the big names on our defense, that we need to resign, he'd be the last one, and would be the easiest loss on the team.  nothing personal. I think it's more important that we re-sign(ed) our starting CB, middle linebacker and defensive line before we re-sign our SLB.

that'd be a tough loss though.

40 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like Anthony Barr. I think he's a good player and I expect him to be better this year than he was last.

however, with all the big names on our defense, that we need to resign, he'd be the last one, and would be the easiest loss on the team.  nothing personal. I think it's more important that we re-sign(ed) our starting CB, middle linebacker and defensive line before we re-sign our SLB.

that'd be a tough loss though.

I disagree.  I think because he didn't have eye-popping numbers that people think he had a "down" year last year.  But, I think if you'd let him walk, you'd see a dramatic effect on the defense, because he takes the attention away from other players on the defense and allows them to make plays.  Kendricks is really important to the defense, but Barr is even more important than that.  Kendricks isn't Kendricks without Barr playing next to him.  As far as the order goes on defensive players getting extensions, for me, it'd go:

Linval Joseph

Anthony Barr

Eric Kendricks

Danielle Hunter

2 hours ago, disaacs said:

I disagree.  I think because he didn't have eye-popping numbers that people think he had a "down" year last year.  But, I think if you'd let him walk, you'd see a dramatic effect on the defense, because he takes the attention away from other players on the defense and allows them to make plays.  Kendricks is really important to the defense, but Barr is even more important than that.  Kendricks isn't Kendricks without Barr playing next to him.  As far as the order goes on defensive players getting extensions, for me, it'd go:

Linval Joseph

Anthony Barr

Eric Kendricks

Danielle Hunter

Zimmer said that he tends to coast. I would imagine quite a few people would say Barr had a down year.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/07/zulgad-vikings-might-playing-smart-explaining-barrs-poor-2016-performance/

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/12/future-hold-anthony-barr/

I like Barr and expect him to bounce back, but last season can't be ignored. He's still a key player for us, but I do believe that if we had to lose one key piece on defense, it would unfortunately be him.

Coasting isn't synonymous with poor play. Zimmer also stated multiple times that Barr was being asked to do different things, and he was doing his job. 

If you're doing your job, but capable of doing more, you're coasting. But you're still doing your job. 

Is what Barr was asked to do last year any indication of what Zimmer wants from the position?

if it is an indication that the position is changing, why pay premium dollar for Barr if he's going to have limited opportunities to make impact plays? Barr wasn't drafted in the top 10 to just be a guy that does the unnoticed dirty work. At least I wouldn't think that is the case. That type of player can be had much cheaper.

31 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Is what Barr was asked to do last year any indication of what Zimmer wants from the position?

if it is an indication that the position is changing, why pay premium dollar for Barr if he's going to have limited opportunities to make impact plays? Barr wasn't drafted in the top 10 to just be a guy that does the unnoticed dirty work. At least I wouldn't think that is the case. That type of player can be had much cheaper.

I personally don't believe it's necessarily any indication of what he wants from the position.   I believe that it's the respect that Barr has from the opposition that leads to the limited opportunities and when there might have been spots for Barr to make some splash plays, for whatever reason he "coasted" on them and didn't make them.  Without Barr there, I think teams would just refocus their attention on Kendricks then, which would leave Barr's replacement vulnerable to exploitation.  

31 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I personally don't believe it's necessarily any indication of what he wants from the position.   I believe that it's the respect that Barr has from the opposition that leads to the limited opportunities and when there might have been spots for Barr to make some splash plays, for whatever reason he "coasted" on them and didn't make them.  Without Barr there, I think teams would just refocus their attention on Kendricks then, which would leave Barr's replacement vulnerable to exploitation.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think Barr was playing hurt last year. Injury seeemed to happen in the Giants game. There was one play where he destroyed a TE in the backfield who tried to block him on a blitz, nearly killed the guy. The quality of his play dropped off considerably after that. He was wearing a wrist brace. By mid season, he was tackling with one hand, basically lost the Cowboys game when he whiffed on Prescott scrambling needing one more defensive stop. 

He looked great in Buffalo, very good sign. 

At his best, he's considerably more valuable than Kendricks. Athletic off ball LBs with good instincts aren't too hard to find, but Barr is a freak, and he makes the defense work. 

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

I think Barr was playing hurt last year. Injury seeemed to happen in the Giants game. There was one play where he destroyed a TE in the backfield who tried to block him on a blitz, nearly killed the guy.

You mean this one?xD

I hope Barr is completely healthy this season and gets to use his great speed and good reads for nipping a lot of potential long running plays in the bud.  I also hope he improves a lot on covrages on pass plays in his area.  I'd hate to see him go to another team before he reaches his peak.

I still have to believe the collide of Kendricks and Barr last year was the reason for Barr's down year.

He honestly was having an excellent beginning to the year before the Panthers game. Yes no big huge plays, but was making an impact.

He basically sprained his wrist. He fought it all year long. Tender, and it would bug him. Wrists are a very big deal with any sport.

We will see if an offseason of rest will fix that. Hard to believe he would go from being all over the field, then to being a dud, then back to being the good ole Barr without having some sort of nagging injury.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:57 PM, Krauser said:

At his best, he's considerably more valuable than Kendricks. Athletic off ball LBs with good instincts aren't too hard to find, but Barr is a freak, and he makes the defense work. 

This is where I am with him.

Barr raw skill level is quite superior to Kendrick's. If both are healthy, Barr is considerably more valuable then Kendrick.

When Barr is on, he allows the DE/CB to blitz better, and Barr can make up for recovery tackles, if/when the pressure does not get there. He is a massive safety net when he is up to speed

Archived