Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

10 hours ago, Klomp said:

Touchdowns allowed by the defense at US Bank Stadium
Week 1: 1:56 in 4th up 29-12 (garbage time)
Week 3: 8:47 in 3rd up 28-3, 0:00 in 3rd up 31-10 (garbage time)
Week 4: 8:00 in 3rd
Week 6: 10:40 in 2nd
Week 7: 0:00 in 4th up 24-9 (as garbage time as you can get)
Week 11: 10:42 in 1st score 0-0 (first drive)
Week 15: 4:22 in 4th up 34-0 (garbage time)
Week 17: Special teams TD

So of the 8 touchdowns allowed by the defense at home, five of them were in garbage time and one was on the first drive of the game 

And wasn't the week 4 TD given up to the Lions, on a short field after the Dalvin Cook injury & fumble, that made the crowd rather silent.

13 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I didn't make any assertion or claim to be right about....anything.

I just find it odd that you pointed out that there is no way for us to know with certainty anything about future events. Which is a rather obvious and useless observation, that you contradicted by saying that the defense is going have to get up for this game.

Its a rather definitive statement about what the Saints offense will do, and therefore what the Vikes defense will have to do. Given you're complete undermining of Sem's prediction (made in rather certain terms, yes) I just found it odd.

Semfi laid out as a counter argument why the Vikings matchup up well with the Saints offense.  Which you dismissed by saying that we don't know what will happen so you can't say it will, again, obviously, but its no grounds for complete dismissal.

Is there reason to think Rhodes can't matchup well with MT (which he did the last time they played).  Can you actually advance an argument for that? Our LBs have shut down RBs in the passing game this year, is there a reason they won't in this game?

Again, using the week one game as a data point in an argument is no where close to bad logic, and for good measure predictions by themselves cant be invalid or valid.  They can simply be proven true or false.

Thank God.

So saying, not "definitively stating", that our defense has to be prepared for this game, is me contradicting myself? (Statements, ideas, or features that directly oppose one another) So me hoping and making a suggestion that our defense should play hard, or hoping rather, is me contradicting myself? Explain how please.

Clearly it's what the NO offense is capable of based off the entire year. I'm not saying or assuming what will happen by scaling from Week 1....

It's silly to surely state what every level of our defense will do against the Saints at this stage. How is that so ridiculous for you? Where's the contradiction in this? I feel this has more to do with how the debate is going for you and that I'm a new guy here than actual evidence of me stating anything definitive or contradicting myself, WHILE "undermining" his own post. That's a heap of accusations there and all I did was speak a fact (No one knows what WILL happen) and offer a different perspective. 

I do agree, we certainly have the defense to stifle them and hold them but will we? There's no telling. That was 18 weeks ago. I get what he was saying; it just seemed to "when A and B happens, C will be the result"-- when we all know playoff football is never that simple.

Do I have the ability to suggest that Rhodes couldn't lockdown Thomas? I never said he wouldn't, but to just assume he would and almost seem cocky about it, is bordering grounds for dismissal.  Our LBs have done well, and we have reason to believe they will be able to percorm solidly against out of the backfield/pass catching running backs but I think it's safe to say NO RBs are not like any other unit and are far different than Week 1. Did we even see Kumara Week 1? If so, how many snaps? I genuinely don't recall.

It is bad logic though. That's like me saying ME easily defeated the Saints in Week 2 so because of that, if they met in the Super Bowl, essentially the exact same thing would happen; because you know, Week 2 exists. I don't understand how what I said was so far fetch'd.... A little blunt humor (my humor) mixed with it, yes. I just don't see how many saying that we can't possibly know what will happen is blasphemous.

23 minutes ago, Morleericks said:

Yes, Xavier. I meant, all of us except you. We are but peasants.

see? this is sarcasm. with an insulting tone. or passive aggressive behavior, take your pick.

it's not really humor, it's not designed to get along in our community, even though a difference of opinion with another poster has been discovered.

is it against the rules of our site? no, it is not. so you could easily tell me to stow it, because the rules are what govern our interactions here. but there is also a sense of civility of how we communicate with each other, especially when we disagree. as i am doing with you here. no insults, no sarcasm, no jabs at your character. just the request you keep it to football and not take personal shots at members.

as to your comment last night that we're just a football forum. well, we are different than the typical online forum template. very much so. we always have been, and we always will be.

the motto of this site is: "less trash, more talk."

5 hours ago, Morleericks said:

Clearly it's what the NO offense is capable of based off the entire year. I'm not saying or assuming what will happen by scaling from Week 1....

So can you not do the same with our defense? You're really hung up on the idea of a poster saying what he thinks will happen, when obviously he doesn't know for certain it will.  However given the level of the level of play we've come to expect from the defense and yes, drawing some analysis from week 1, warrants a good level of confidence.

5 hours ago, Morleericks said:

So me hoping and making a suggestion that our defense should play hard, or hoping rather, is me contradicting myself? Explain how please.

This isn't what you said, don't move the goalposts.  Yes, it was a little humorous and contradictory of you to chastise a poster for saying "Rhodes will shut down MT" but then proceed to say the "Vikings offense is (proxy for will and quite definitive) going to have to step up."  These aren't shrug your shoulders, kick the dirt ahhh shucks statements about hope.  They're bold predictions about the course of the game and kind of silly to make when you've been on tirade about how we cant know anything.

Which again bring me to your platform that since all we can do is hope, we cant make confident predictions.  Because well, what do we know, right? I understand your point, but why bother making it? We all know we don't know the future, there's no reason to undermine a posters perfectly valid argument with an observation of a blatantly obvious truth. To quote you it's bad logic, it's a fallacy.

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to the defense?

It looked like we had no push rush that was getting to the QB.

Was it poor DL play by us, or was Philly OL that good. (Vikings were also not good against NO, but they too have a good OL).

Easy answer is that we need penetrating DT.

The defense is going to get more expensive in a hurry.

Just now, CriminalMind said:

Was it poor DL play by us, or was Philly OL that good. (Vikings were also not good against NO, but they too have a good OL).

Uncharacteristically missed a bunch of tackles. I don't think there is a long term issue with the defense. They just had a really bad game.

Id move Defensive End up on the list of needs after watching how Philly uses their DEs.

Defenitely need a Fletcher Cox type in the middle of the defense too.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Everson Griffen has basically been a ghost for the past 4-5 weeks.

Harrison Smith looked drunk. 

Trae Waynes is horrid.

Our coaching staff thinks keeping Xavier off the field on critical downs is wise.

Kendricks is our most consistent linebacker.

2 minutes ago, joru1000 said:

Everson Griffen has basically been a ghost for the past 4-5 weeks.

Harrison Smith looked drunk. 

Trae Waynes is horrid.

Our coaching staff thinks keeping Xavier off the field on critical downs is wise.

Kendricks is our most consistent linebacker.

Wasn't Rhodes hurt, again? It's been weeks now, something new always coming up.

Smith had a bad game, not sure why. 

I'm not sold on Waynes and I don't think he's the future either. Might be too much money.

Agreed on Kendricks, pay him this offseason. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Uncharacteristically missed a bunch of tackles. I don't think there is a long term issue with the defense. They just had a really bad game.

Id move Defensive End up on the list of needs after watching how Philly uses their DEs.

Defenitely need a Fletcher Cox type in the middle of the defense too.

Missed tackles by most of the front 7 is what lost the game for us.

But also the DB play was poor, they would release on the receiving targets uncharacteristically, and Foles would beat them on the deep ball (since the rush was not forcing into a short throw or a take down)

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Last night’s game proved that this team desperately needs an interior pass rusher. 

We haven’t been able to collapse the pocket all year. 

Doesn't seem like the double A gap blitzes have been used enough or are effective. If we don't have the talent to get an interior pass rush, it needs to be manufactured through blitzing.

4 minutes ago, Scottish_Viking said:

I don't follow college football, are there any DE's or DT's worth going after in the draft

I'd say there are a number of both. Less so since Clemson line returned to school. But definitely so in the latter parts of round one. Adrian Key is a very interesting option for the Vikings in round one.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Doesn't seem like the double A gap blitzes have been used enough or are effective. If we don't have the talent to get an interior pass rush, it needs to be manufactured through blitzing.

I agree we did not use double A gap blitz enough yesterday.

I couldn't understand why we let Foles stand there like the statue of liberty with all the time to deliver bombs

Archived