Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

Antone Exum, Jr., has always wanted to try his hand at nickel cornerback in the NFL, and he’s gotten a chance of late to show coaches what he brings to the table there. Second-year cornerback Mackensie Alexander has primarily filled the nickel role on the first-team defense, including in both preseason games. But Exum, who has been listed as a safety since being drafted by the Vikings in 2014, has also been given reps at nickel – in addition to safety – throughout training camp and the preseason.

Exum: “I’ve kind of always wanted to do it, I like corner, I like the position. I love safety, too, but I always felt like I could offer something to the defense at that position. I think with increased reps that I’ve been getting there since training camp, I’ve been getting a lot better and more comfortable. I like it a lot. I enjoy playing it."

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Notebook-Zimmer-Impressed-with-Exums-Quick-Pick-Up-of-Nickel/82dabd5b-19b5-44d6-97bc-3043ae1f550c

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Robison started every game for the Vikings the past four seasons. He started all but one game the two seasons before that, missing a 2012 game with a shoulder injury. So Robison admits it felt strange to be standing on the sideline for the first play Monday night. It marked the first time since the 2010 regular-season finale that Robison played in a game he didn’t start. Danielle Hunter, who led the team with 12.5 sacks last season, took over the starting job at left end and played 50 of the team’s 62 defensive snaps in the opener. Robison played 38, spelling Hunter and also seeing action as a stand-up defensive tackle.

Robison: “It was different. It was definitely one of those situations that you wish you were starting but at the end of the day, Danielle put himself in a great situation. I told him to enjoy the moment and never take it for granted. I didn’t really think about it, and I didn’t reflect upon [not starting] until afterward, but for me it’s just about going out there and making sure I’m doing whatever I can do to help our team win ball games.’’

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/15/brian-robison-finds-it-different-coming-off-bench/

That big halftime lead was partially a product of great defense by the Vikings, but the lead also fed into the defense’s performance. As the Vikings offense piled touchdown onto touchdown, the Buccaneers offense became more pass-heavy and the Vikings defense took advantage. After allowing a field goal on Tampa Bay’s first possession, the defense took the field for a second time buoyed by a 7-3 lead and didn’t permit a Buccaneers drive into the red zone until the end of the 3rd quarter. The five possessions between scores for Tampa Bay ended like this: punt, punt, interception, punt, punt. As the defense continuously shut down Tampa Bay’s offense, the Vikings offense grew the lead to 28-3.

The truth was the Vikings were solid against the run for most of 2016. Now, though, they’re downright dominant against the run. New Orleans didn’t have a single rusher reach the 20-yard mark, Le’Veon Bell averaged only 3.2 yards per carry last week and then on Sunday the Buccaneers rushing output was nearly non-existent – nine rushes for 26 yards (2.9 yards per carry). The Buccaneers did not generate a 1st down via the rush. This stout run defense put Tampa Bay behind schedule in the down and distance, which helped the Vikings defense put a pass rush in quarterback Jameis Winston’s lap constantly (two sacks) and get off the field five of six times on 3rd down.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/7-Takeaways-from-Sundays-Win-over-Tampa-Bay/7f2712e5-526b-4d29-a8e2-4806f57bcedc?sf116417521=1

The Vikings limited the Bucs to 1-for-6 on third downs, keep the defense off the field and resting, while the offense went 7-for-13 on third downs and had two 13-play drives. The Vikings ended up with almost a 38-to-22-minute advantage in time of possession. It all added up to 74 offensive snaps compared to only 53 on defense.

NT Linval Joseph played fewer snaps (29) Sunday than he did in the previous two games as the Bucs were forced into playing catch-up and throwing the ball more. That also meant third linebacker Ben Gedeon was on the field for only nine defensive plays. The only two defenders to play every snap were safeties Harrison Smith and Andrew Sendejo, and the Vikings ended up rotating Terence Newman, Mackensie Alexander and Tramaine Brock as the fifth defensive back – Newman got 33 plays, Alexander 18 and Brock 13 (the first time he has played for the Vikings this year).

http://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-snap-counts-The-defense-rests-107948224

The Vikings lost the [Detroit] game and there are issues to correct on defense, but the bottom line is the defense played lights out. They held the Lions offense to 3.7 yards per play, forced seven punts, sacked Stafford six times, held Golden Tate to 29 yards receiving and got off the field on 3rd down 10 of 13 times. Aside from the six sacks, the Vikings also tallied three other tackles for loss on Lions run plays.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/5-Takeaways-from-Sundays-Loss-to-Detroit/c599872b-b2df-443b-b5c3-3817f4ccb652?sf118158372=1

Just now, moss_is_1 said:

Wasn't the defense that was the problem at all today. They played great. The offense was awful, leaving them with a short field on those turnovers and they still held their own. 

Cant fault the defense for the loss. I'd just like to see them create more turnovers. 3 of 4 games so far with no takeaways. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Cant fault the defense for the loss. I'd just like to see them create more turnovers. 3 of 4 games so far with no takeaways. 

Agreed there. They need to become a little more opportunistic out there to help out our offense when it's struggling. We had chances today to make plays where guys got their hands on the ball but couldn't finish the play. 

Just now, moss_is_1 said:

Agreed there. They need to become a little more opportunistic out there to help out our offense when it's struggling. We had chances today to make plays where guys got their hands on the ball but couldn't finish the play. 

If those plays are made, intercepting one of several dropped passes, perhaps the defense wins the game for us. I would like to see the defense as capable of winning games for us when the offense sputters. Almost happened today, if Alexander or Barr make those Ints, decent chance they are getting in the end zone. Can't always win games this way but we can't rely on the offense to score 20+ either. 

Archived