The offseason

pwny

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do you think you guys tag A-Rob? With Lee a free agent, and I have to imagine Hurns a likely cap cut at that 7 million dollar hit, that depth chart could get down in a hurry. 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the tag if they can’t get a deal done.

I think it’s a virtual guarantee that one of Lee/Hurns is on the team next year. Hurns only gets cut if they get a deal for Lee done. Only other outcome would be signing a Free Agent and then cutting Hurns.

5 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Bring back A-Rob. Let Lee walk. Cut Ivory and Poz. Bring back Colvin if hes in our price range. Go after an OG in FA. Draft a TE early. Trade for Smith.

I don’t see us being active in FA (besides our own). Maybe just a QB or OG (in the beginning of FA).

Poz is a FA. Oops.

Could be the end of the Bortles/Henne era folks.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

We won’t have the kind of health we had this season again, so we need to make sure we have players ready to step up when guys go down. 

Depth at O-Line, LB and Secondary jump out to me.

Sorry for posting so much. I’m just trying to keep the game off my mind. Lol

3 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Depth at O-Line, LB and Secondary jump out to me.

Definitely. Would also like some jar on the shelf DL types. Maybe another depth RB if we move on from Ivory, just there as insurance.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Definitely. Would also like some jar on the shelf DL types. Maybe another depth RB if we move on from Ivory, just there as insurance.

Ivory will be gone. 11th highest cap hit on the team next year and was inactive the last two playoff games.

ill be shocked if he is back. He has $3 million in dead money but would still save $4 million if we cut him.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the tag if they can’t get a deal done.

I think it’s a virtual guarantee that one of Lee/Hurns is on the team next year. Hurns only gets cut if they get a deal for Lee done. Only other outcome would be signing a Free Agent and then cutting Hurns.

Yeah.  This seems likely to me.

ARob is the guy they have to either get a deal done, or really...the tag wouldn't be a bad option at all considering the uncertainty around how he'll bounce back.  If they can get him signed to a deal that has a reasonable "out", that'd obviously be appealing too...but it'll be hard to get a deal like that done.

This regime seem to really like Lee, and i could absolutely see them making a big commitment to him, at the expense of Hurns.  I'm not really a fan of that approach.  Lee is far too inconsistent and unreliable for me to want to see a huge commitment there.  Especially with guys like Westbrook and Cole providing similar things, on cheap deals and with upside.  But he's been a guy they go to constantly in big situations (for better or worse).  Hurns has seen himself shuffled down the chart quite a bit, and it'd be super easy to envision cutting him to shuffle that money Lee's way.

Can't imagine they'd cut both Hurns and Lee loose in the same offseason, coming off an AFC Championship appearance though.  Gonna want some continuity there, and ARob despite being a part of this team for a while, wasn't really part of the turnaround on the field this year.  I think it's one or the other.  I'd lean to keeping Hurns over what Lee will cost...but suspect the Jaguars brass would lean the other way.

The other element though, is that we're assuming Bortles will be the QB next year.  But if it's someone else, you're gonna want to tailor the weapons to that.  Which might emphasize different elements and influence the decisions a bit.  Or at least, it probably would for me.  And how the QB situation shakes out is going to be the single biggest factor in what our cap situation looks like in the first place.

3 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Ivory will be gone. 11th highest cap hit on the team next year and was inactive the last two playoff games.

ill be shocked if he is back. He has $3 million in dead money but would still save $4 million if we cut him.

Yeah.  Those inactive games for Ivory appeared to speak volumes.  He's gotta be gone.  It's not perfect having some dead cap left, but that's still a pretty significant savings.  Have to get a replacement on a cheap deal, probably from the draft somewhere...but FA wouldn't be out of the question either.  But you should be able to replace Ivory as one of the 4 RBs and get a guy with younger fresher legs in there, with plenty of money leftover to put toward a raise for Colvin or an upgrade/depth somewhere else.

Archived