Blake Bortles and the future at Quarterback

pwny

Good read from Hays and I agree with him.

Still down for Cousins even with the cap questions pending on price, but I liked some things I saw from BB this year. Love the guy so it may be clouding my judgement but I want nothing more than to see him succeed and shut all the doubters up. 

His personality and drive to do whatever it takes is just so damn awesome.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

I just hope Blake finds a way to become *the guy*

I think most of us feel this way. If he is our guy next year and we don't sign Cousins (literally the only thing I think could happen if we don't have Bortles, I don't buy the Smith hype tbh...but then again Coughlin didn't sound like a big Bortles guy so maybe he just wants to move on.

Going to be a very interesting next 2 months.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:23 AM, .Buzz said:

No Brees.

Not surprising in the least.  That never seemed like a legitimate option to me.  Payton and Brees are the Saints.  They'll find a way to work the cap and roll with that duo until it absolutely does not work anymore.

Not even really convinced it would've been the greatest fit anyway.  Obviously wouldn't turn down a talent of Brees' calibre, but we'd be doing some very different things offensively if it were him under center.  Which wouldn't necessarily jive seamlessly with the whole dominant defense + run run run the football pairing.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:10 PM, .Buzz said:

I think most of us feel this way. If he is our guy next year and we don't sign Cousins (literally the only thing I think could happen if we don't have Bortles, I don't buy the Smith hype tbh...but then again Coughlin didn't sound like a big Bortles guy so maybe he just wants to move on.

Going to be a very interesting next 2 months.

I think you're right, in that most of us feel that way.  That'd be aces.  But ultimately, you have to underline the word "hope" in that whole sentiment.  It's hoping he becomes the guy we need him to be.  Which is scary as heck, and all that much riskier when we're talking about a team that QB aside, is absolutely built to win a Championship RIGHT NOW.  The window of that elite defense isn't going to stay open forever, nor is the shelf life of RBs typically all that long.

I think where a lot of us differ on the QB thing, is a spectrum of just how willing we are to "risk" an entire season of this core on the "hope" that Bortles becomes consistently good, in a way that he's never shown he can do before.

It'd be one thing if Bortles were consistently mediocre like an Alex Smith.  You have an established veteran with a lower ceiling like that and it's easy to draft that developmental guy behind them and just sorta plug along with "good enough", until the new guy is really ready.  Bortles may be mediocre on the whole, but he achieves it with wildly swinging volatility.  Unlike an Alex Smith where you'll have Sundays that he simply "doesn't win you the game", with Bortles you're going to get those times where he legitimately "loses you the game".  That's where you're destined for a messy QB controversy if you draft a guy with legitimate starter upside and the ability to step in and contribute next season.  

Yet, if you get a guy who isn't going to be ready to step in next season and win games...you're operating pretty much completely without a safety net.  Going into the season with Bortles as effectively your only real option.  That's scary as all heck to me.  Considering where the rest of this team is at, and how important it is to capitalize on this sort of window opening up.

16 hours ago, Tugboat said:

It'd be one thing if Bortles were consistently mediocre like an Alex Smith.  You have an established veteran with a lower ceiling like that and it's easy to draft that developmental guy behind them and just sorta plug along with "good enough", until the new guy is really ready.  Bortles may be mediocre on the whole, but he achieves it with wildly swinging volatility.  Unlike an Alex Smith where you'll have Sundays that he simply "doesn't win you the game", with Bortles you're going to get those times where he legitimately "loses you the game".  That's where you're destined for a messy QB controversy if you draft a guy with legitimate starter upside and the ability to step in and contribute next season.  

Yet, if you get a guy who isn't going to be ready to step in next season and win games...you're operating pretty much completely without a safety net.  Going into the season with Bortles as effectively your only real option.  That's scary as all heck to me.  Considering where the rest of this team is at, and how important it is to capitalize on this sort of window opening up.

I agree with your overall sentiment here, but as a description for Alex Smith, consistently mediocre seems a bit harsh. I know QBR is far from the end all, but being #1 in that ranking + #4th best offense in dvoa + poor grades on his LT and LG + Andy Reid's consistent philosophy to put on the breaks with a lead. 

I don't think Alex is an "A" grade, top tier QB. I do think he's consistent "B" grade, 2nd tier though. Mediocre falls below the two, imho. 

This is the issue that we fall into Blake, what are you really going to get that will be a substantial upgrade. These windows do not last long if you don’t capitalize now before attrition starts to set in for this franchise. We have seen that as recently as this season with the Texans outside of ARob we were really blessed with our healthiest team in years. But every season is not going to filled with that type of luck. I’ve never liked Kirk Cousins he reminds me of 2015 Blake.. great numbers but numbers doesn’t equate with Ws in the win column. Will he be afforded one of the best teams talent wise yes. But like Bortles, Kirk is known to make some really dumb decisions in key times in game and does it regularly. I think everybody forgets how Blake pretty much won that locker room over this season.. Do you really want to kill the chemistry in the locker room? A rookie is not going to come in out of this draft class and either be Russell Wilson or Watson last yr. Alex Smith struggles with inconsistent just like Blake as you saw in the Titans game when Kelce was knocked out the first half.. the chiefs stumbled why because Alex isn’t the answer either. Smith doesn’t play well if he doesn’t have a stellar TE this date back to his time in SF with Vernon Davis. This is not going to be a quick or easy fix QBs don’t grow on trees. The logical thing to do is if you can’t get Brees which we all know will not happen you almost have to let Blake play out his 5th yr and pray he continues to improve and draft a player behind him.

I dont understand how you can justify 19 Million for a QB who is so incosistent. 

Theres at least 3 FA QB's more consistent then Bortles and 2 QBs who could easily be better then him since he's recovered and has a RB like he did in MIN.

1. Brees - HE aint leaving NO

2. Cousins - IMO gonna cost too much, but would def provide consistency

3. Keenum - Only bad game was against PHI

4. Bridgewater - Would be able to step in and takeover the offense with a different dynamic and has a better arm then bortles

5. Bradford - Played lights out before his injury. 

Archived