NFC top contenders 2018 and beyond

squire12

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

How much you think that will be?  

Rodgers has $20.5M coming in 2018 and $21.1M coming in 2019.  

Is something like $120M over 5 years with $60M in SB and other guarantees for the first 3 years (total guaranteed of $80M)

CAP HITS

2018= $13M

2019=$20M

2020=$24M

2021=$30M

2022 = $33M

This is the Stafford deal I posted elsewhere and it will be the starting point for negotiations with AR

Matthew Stafford’s new contract establishes new standards for

1) average per year ($27 million);

2) total guarantee ($92 million);

3) guarantee at signing ($60.5 million) 

4) signing bonus ($50 million).

And speaking of that eye-popping $50 million signing bonus, its payment terms— $17 million by Sept. 15; $16.5 million by Nov. 15 and $16.5 million by Feb. 15—ensure he has all of it within five months ! The deal locks in a striking $86 million by the beginning of its second year "

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

This is the Stafford deal I posted elsewhere and it will be the starting point for negotiations with AR

Matthew Stafford’s new contract establishes new standards for

1) average per year ($27 million);

2) total guarantee ($92 million);

3) guarantee at signing ($60.5 million) 

4) signing bonus ($50 million).

And speaking of that eye-popping $50 million signing bonus, its payment terms— $17 million by Sept. 15; $16.5 million by Nov. 15 and $16.5 million by Feb. 15—ensure he has all of it within five months ! The deal locks in a striking $86 million by the beginning of its second year "

I agree that the next Rodgers contract is going to be huge.  Might even be a road block to fielding a Super Bowl winning team around him if it is to average $30M per year.  If it is a 5 year deal worth $150M ($30M per year) with total guarantees at around $90M with around $60M of that being SB

In order for it to benefit GB early on, the cap hits have to be low enough in the first 1-2 years, so essentially the prorated SB with a small base added

1st year - $13M with 12 of that being SB

2nd year - $25M with 12 of that SB

that would mean the last 3 years need to average $37M

Those last few years are going to be hard to swallow

LAR has to pay Donald as well so there'll probably be a few cap casualties as a result somewhere in the next couple, but yeah I like them with how McVay has them going. The West will still produce 2-3 serious playoff contenders for the foreseeable future.

The South is dangerous for us and I don't really know why. I think the Falcons are on the way down as long as they pay Ryan, especially if they can't keep Grady and Poe in town to keep those LB's clean. The Saints have the toughest road ahead finding Brees' successor, they'll be quite good as long as he's in town. Panthers go how Cam goes.

The only team that scares me in the East is obviously the Eagles, who I think are set to be a powerhouse. 

The Packers can free up a lot of cap room by removing/restructuring any combo of Matthews/Nelson/Cobb. So that's not a concern. The Vikings got exposed a bit yesterday, and they're losing the OC who helped QB-whisper Keenum into a good starter for most of the season. I'd expect a regression from them.

With a few new pieces and injury luck, the Packers will contend next season.

17 minutes ago, Striker said:

The Packers can free up a lot of cap room by removing/restructuring any combo of Matthews/Nelson/Cobb. So that's not a concern. The Vikings got exposed a bit yesterday, and they're losing the OC who helped QB-whisper Keenum into a good starter for most of the season. I'd expect a regression from them.

With a few new pieces and injury luck, the Packers will contend next season.

It takes two to tango.

Seems like every year there is no Super Bowl win in Title Town, there's a new list of teams that have passed Green Bay by.  It was the 49ers and Seattle a few years ago.  Then it was Atlanta and Dallas.  This year it's Philly and Minnesota.  The thing is that the league is incredibly fluid.  Health and luck play a huge role in a sport with such a relatively small season.  Teams I'd worry about next year on the schedule right now are San Francisco, New England, Buffalo, Atlanta and the rest of the NFCN.  I feel that Minnesota is going to have a letdown year following a strong 2017.  They avoided the injury bug for the most part this year.  Probably will not be able to avoid two years in a row.  They're still a well rounded team, but probably not a #2 seed. 

Chicago is ascending.  New coaching may lead to some road bumps early on.  Detroit - same.

Atlanta could have a bounce back year.  SF is pointing up, but you never know.  I'm not going to worry about the rest of the NFC because there's a season of wear and tear between now and the playoffs. 

Sadly it's still a long ways until the picture becomes a more clear.  I feel that you really don't know who the good teams are until Thanksgiving.

11 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

Seems like every year there is no Super Bowl win in Title Town, there's a new list of teams that have passed Green Bay by.  It was the 49ers and Seattle a few years ago.  Then it was Atlanta and Dallas.  This year it's Philly and Minnesota.  

0 Superbowl wins between them.

To say they have "passed us by" is an overstatement. 

13 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

0 Superbowl wins between them.

To say they have "passed us by" is an overstatement. 

That's the point.  Every year there's a new shiny object that everyone seems to think is the way to have success in the NFL regardless of the end result.  I recall an article by Bob McGinn stating how the 49ers were the new top team and we'd need drastic changes to catch up with them.  Of course we now see that San Fran imploded on their own and went into re-build mode.

The thought is that each of these teams have the blueprint that we must follow for continued success.  In reality, some teams just have a good deal go right for them in the course of a season.  I firmly believe the talent gap between the worst and best teams is minimal.  Coaching, health, rookie play, and plain old bounces of the ball (Bostick!) account for a lot, especially when there's only 16 games.  1 NFL game is the equivalent of 5.125 NBA games and 10.125 MLB games.  One bad day can sink much more of a season in the NFL than the other major sports.  I guess that's part of what makes it special.    

Ultimately there are only a few teams in Green Bay’s level if we are doing apples to apples. Seattle, New Orleans, Carolina and Atlanta . All have had to pay up for older veterans and are dealing with those big cap hits.

Rams, Vikings, Eagles, Dallas are all very talented but all that talent is on rookie deals. They might be contenders the next 2 years but hard to say over the long haul.

Honestly Green Bay will contend as long as they have Aaron. The key is Pettine and getting the number 1 seed. Given our schedule next year we should be one of the early favorites (if healthy) for the number 1 seed.

Like Brady... Aaron just needs his defense to be consistent and reliable, doesn’t need to be the number one group.

16 hours ago, St Vince said:

I'm worried about our cap situation, I don't know how aggressive we can be in FA. It's scary how much cap space the Vikings have with a good drafting GM and roster talent. I know they laid an egg but they still have more talent than us and they will be better next year with cook and upgraded D after FA and draft.

Stop it Vince.  The purple drank is getting to you.  Their GM has had just as many misses as anyone else.  They've invested three #1 picks at QB in the last five years and STILL DON'T HAVE ONE.  They won't be better next year because the two best defensive players they have are already declining (Joseph and Smith).  Philly went right after Smith and it worked.  You're reading too much fake news.  I already explained their inflated defensive stats were vs such stalworts as Trubisky and Hundley. 

Set the cup of purple drank down and slowly back away, it's okay, we're here for you.

18 hours ago, St Vince said:

I'm worried about our cap situation, I don't know how aggressive we can be in FA. It's scary how much cap space the Vikings have with a good drafting GM and roster talent. I know they laid an egg but they still have more talent than us and they will be better next year with cook and upgraded D after FA and draft.

Honestly, Minnesota's cap situation isn't as appealing as it appears to be.  They've got to figure out their QB situation, which likely takes a dent out of their cap space this offseason.  They also probably need to start thinking about extensions for Anthony Barr, Danielle Hunter, Lance Kendricks, and Stefon Diggs.  If they do that, that cap space starts drying up fast.

As any front office guy will tell you, we can only worry about ourselves. They won't spend the energy worrying about what other teams do because it's out of their hands. What they can do is make sure they make the right draft choices, signings, and personnel decisions. If they hit on all of those, what other teams do won't matter. Message boards are different of course, but the bottom line is the same. The Packers will sink or swim based on their choices, not the choices the Vikings make

Archived