Senior Bowl Thread

CalhounLambeau

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Cappa struggled mightily, dude looked like Robocop trying to play Left Tackle.

He didn't struggle mightily. He struggled a bit, especially against speed, but that's definitely teachable and I expect him to take to the teaching well. Basically he just isn't as far along as I thought he was, which I think could "drop" him. I still think he's gonna be a good pro. Early day 3 pick at this point. Idog is pretty dead on in his assessment. 

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

No, if his performance today told you anything, its that he felt like a caged animal as a 5 tech. I guarantee behind closed doors he prefers to get loose at 3 tech.

Of course DL want to play 3-Tech. At 5-Tech, they stack and shed...basically eat blocks. As a 3-tech, he gets to make more splash plays and get away with less gap control responsibilities. I just think he has a perfect frame for someone looking for a 5-T. He could play either, but it's rare to find those long lanky interior guys that can handle being the edge player occasionally. He fits that bill and I think a 3-4 team will end up drafting him.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

He didn't struggle mightily. He struggled a bit, especially against speed, but that's definitely teachable and I expect him to take to the teaching well. Basically he just isn't as far along as I thought he was, which I think could "drop" him. I still think he's gonna be a good pro. Early day 3 pick at this point. Idog is pretty dead on in his assessment. 

How do you teach someone to deal with speed? If you're not athletic enough to kick step and hang with hardcore edge rushers, you're doomed. It's not purely a technique thing. Sure that can mitigate some of the problem, but you can't really teach someone how to be better in pass protection if they're slow-footed. I don't think he's quality enough to become an NFL starter.

Allen looked pretty good in the second half.  If he starts learning how to dial it back and use some touch instead of chucking every throw as hard as he can, he'll be more successful.  That arm is special though.

Lauletta doesn't have the special arm, but there are some traits to like.  Accurracy, pocket presence, quick release all there.

12 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Of course DL want to play 3-Tech. At 5-Tech, they stack and shed...basically eat blocks. As a 3-tech, he gets to make more splash plays and get away with less gap control responsibilities. I just think he has a perfect frame for someone looking for a 5-T. He could play either, but it's rare to find those long lanky interior guys that can handle being the edge player occasionally. He fits that bill and I think a 3-4 team will end up drafting him.

Hoping he goes to my four-front Vikings. That type of interior disruption is what we've missed pretty much all of Zimmer's tenure here. Sharrif Floyd was okay when healthy, but as good as our defense has been, a true penetrating 3T is necessary.

I love Brown for that role.

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

How do you teach someone to deal with speed? If you're not athletic enough to kick step and hang with hardcore edge rushers, you're doomed. It's not purely a technique thing. Sure that can mitigate some of the problem, but you can't really teach someone how to be better in pass protection if they're slow-footed. I don't think he's quality enough to become an NFL starter.

He should know better given how we have Flowers...

21 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Im not sure you can teach heavy feet but ok. Him against Okoronkwo was a revolution to me, I just don't think you can all of the sudden get good feet out of the blue, plus if you try to tweak his kick step and speed it up, it can breed over setting. Thats fine, to each its own, I personally see a lot of Spencer Drango in him ( Who actually did pretty well in absence of Joe Thomas). And lets be clear, I love him in the run game but unfortunately, this isn't Navy where they run it 98% of the time. I just think we all saw what his true weakness is.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:19 PM, CWood21 said:

Anymore @Da_Ducktator updates?

I'll throw a few more thoughts out there now that week has closed.

• Three of the quarterbacks (Josh Allen, Mike White, Kyle Lauletta) really stood out during the game. The three are just gamers overall, it's tough to deny that. Allen and Lauletta's performances in the game or throughout the week did not really alter my impressions on them overall as we saw everything we had seen on tape from the two just with a big spotlight. Lauletta carries a 4th/5th round grade (have to go back with him and Riley Ferguson and nail down a final round grade because they are neck-and-neck for my QB8 slot right). Lauletta is a solid passer who scans the field well and shows a good head for the game overall, but his overall tools are just okay. He has confidence in his arm which has been the reason he has gotten into trouble in college. For an FCS level prospect, his 3rd down numbers are certainly average (only a 39% conversion rate and only behind Tanner Lee in 3rd down INT's this year) and that's because he is always pushing, even on 3rd and long, to get the first. I like that he isn't afraid to do but he doesn't have elite arm strength to be consistently doing that. Sometimes knowing your limits is the best. Allen, on the other hand, clearly has ridiculous tools and showed up strong in the second half. There is still too much on tape though in terms of flaws too ignore. I personally value him as an early 2nd (elite tools with subpar production that I wouldn't want to bet my job on [1st round] but willing to take a chance on if he slipped to the right spot) but I know he isn't getting out of the top 5 picks (likely not even the top 3).
  • To elaborate more on White, he probably helped himself, IMO, among the quarterbacks. Again, I don't think a lot of what he showed and did was much different than what is on tape, but he did seem to throw the intermediate ball slightly better than on tape. I spoke with his draft prep trainer - who I've known for a while, right before he blew up and has been working with a lot of guys the last few years - and he spoke incredibly highly of White's character. He told me White can still throw in the 90's (was once a solid pitching prospect and only started football his senior year of HS). I believe he has locked himself into the top 100 picks.
  • It's not shocking at all that Tanner Lee had a solid week of practices with a few mistakes and then fell apart on gameday. I just think the game moves too fast for him overall. Bad decisions are scattered throughout his tape and a complete lack of pocket presence as well. Reminds me a lot of bad Matt Schaub.
  • And to extrapolate on the 'gamers' notion, Rashaad Penny of course was good on Saturday. I don't think Penny comes with a lot of elusiveness, but the guy is well-built with solid enough speed, good vision, and decent hands.
  • Couple wide receivers, in terms of just Saturday, stood out to me. Tre'Quan Smith I have liked as top 100 guy all season and you saw the good version of him on Saturday, attacking the ball in the air and showing solid explosive ability in his route running. Smith is inconsistent in terms of the refined points of the game, but it was good to show him play up to the competition in the game. The other receiver was D.J. Chark who I've liked as a 3rd rounder for a while. It's tough to put him higher than that, but it's also just tough to ignore the game-breaking speed, uncanny ability to track the ball deep and make plays. Doubt he'll ever be a 'complete' receiver, but he is a bigger and longer version of DeSean Jackson. I was confused why he wasn't discussed more before the week because 6'2" guys with his speed don't grow on trees. Somebody will likely be able to find a role for him in the 3rd round.
  • A lot of the tight ends looked solid throughout the week and showed up on gameday. Mike Gesicki, Jordan Akins, Durham Smythe and Deon Yelder all showed well. Yelder was one I was happy to see get a late invite because despite only starting this past year, he always flashed on tape if you watched White. Guy is a good athlete at the position and while his hands aren't great (double clutches), he is a good athlete at the position and has a knack for getting open and running after the catch. He also played special teams while he was sitting behind future NFL TE's the last few years so he can immediately add that value to a team.
  • Speaking of late invites, Secdrick Cooper of La Tech played well on Saturday. Showed off some good closing speed on the long TD by Chark (though he wasn't able to tackle him short) and made an interception on a tipped pass. In a safety class that has a lot of names, I think Saturday's game showed Cooper is a draftable player.
  • A lot of corners looked good throughout the week, but I'll take this time to give a shoutout to Duke Dawson. I thought from watching practices it just stood out how sound of a corner he is. Dawson was by far the most technically savvy corner of the group, doing a superb job every rep of keeping his feet inside his hips and staying square to the receiver until he absolutely had to flip his hips. Additionally, while he is subpar corner in terms of size and length, the guy is just really fluid in his hips and shows great foot quickness. His forty will mean a lot (ran a 4.65 out of high school) but I think he could make an excellent nickel for a team. 

Archived