Senior Bowl Thread

CalhounLambeau

I'm honestly very surprised James Washington came in at 5'10 and 7/8. I thought he was at least 6'0 tall. OK STATE is usually very spot on with their height/weight on their depth chart, unlike a lot of programs. He was listed at 6'0.

That said, he has freakishly long arms...they're bigger than PSU's TE Casicky! He is just built very weird. I haven't seen too many body types like his before. I have no idea what to make of him athletically based upon his build.

Just now, jetskid007 said:

Baker Mayfield - official measurements from Reese's Senior Bowl:
Height: 6003 (6'0 3/8)
Weight: 216
Hand: 9 1/2
Arm: 30 1/2
Wingspan 30 3/8

per Senior Bowl’s twitter 

That was the best case scenario. He avoided 5'11" 3/4 or 8 7/8 hands. Thank god for whoever spent the last week stretching him. 

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Its really not.  Favre was known to straight up break fingers in PRACTICE.  Qb needs to get the ball there on time, Wrs job is to catch it and it doesnt really matter how hard its thrown.  Whenever you hear somebody say a qb throws a catchable ball, its a colliquism for "hes got a weak arm"

Depends.  I recall just how bad Carson Palmer used to be in Cincy on screens and wheel routes (shorter wheel routes).  He would always overthrow because he had zero touch.  Can't throw every ball with the same velocity...

Just some quick thoughts from yesterday (watched everything aired on NFLN and watched as many clips online as I could):

• To toot my own horn a little, a lot of this offensive tackle class looked good. Brandon Parker, small schooler from North Carolina A&T that I've spoken about multiple times, flashed the major tools that he has. The guy has things to work on and wasn't perfect, but you can see he clearly has NFL tools. Brian O'Neill was an absolute stud. I'm shocked that I don't see more people getting on board with me with O'Neill as OT1 and a Top 10 prospect. Tyrell Crosby looked solid throughout the day too and a pair of G5 offensive guards I like as top 100 guys in Austin Corbett and Colby Gossett looked good. I think Corbett ends up top 50 easily if he keeps this up this week. Alex Cappa had his moments as well and I thought Jamil Demby looked solid too. Both are guys I would consider in the 4th round range because they flash enough tools to play at the next level and I think either could play tackle or guard.
  • A few wide receivers played well. J'Mon Moore looked consistently solid, using his long arms to pluck balls out of the air, D.J. Chark showed off his speed, Cedrick Wilson looked smooth all-around, and three late additions in Byron Pringle, DeaSean Hamilton, and Justin Watson all flashed.
  • Tre' Williams had to off had the hit of practice. He wrecked Rashaad Penny at one point.
  • Despite the offensive line I think winning overall, there was a few interior lineman that stood out to me big time. For one, Nathan Shepherd of Fort Hays State, wow. This dude had a great weigh-in that absolutely dominated on the field. Canada was hiding a real talent. Apparently, he was just 6-1, 205 and played linebacker in high school before originally attending Simon Fraser. Only thing I worry about is he HAS to be up there in age (I was told by a source 24 but I don't have an exact birthday [sorry @CalhounLambeau]), because he started at SFU in 2011 and didn't play in '13 or '14 before appearing at Fort Hays. I read one article that said all but one of the 32 NFL teams came to FHS this past year to see him. So, he'll be an interesting case for sure but was dominant yesterday. The other one I was wowed by was B.J. Hill of North Carolina State. Maybe Chubb isn't the only 1st rounder on that line (that's how good he was yesterday)...
  • Few secondary guys caught my eye including Michael Joseph. I spoke with him last month and was not surprised to see him matching up with FBS guys in terms of pure athleticism. Christian Campbell of Penn State was probably the most physical CB I noticed and Trayvon Henderson of Hawaii (safety) was making plays.
  • As for negatives, I'll point out Sean Walsh and Jamarcus King. Welsh got blown up multiple times. I was a little disappointed when he got invited to Mobile in the first place (Taven Bryan ate his lunch in their bowl game matchup) and he looked far inferior to the other talent there. King just looked awkward to me in coverage. 

1 hour ago, Da_Ducktator said:

The other one I was wowed by was B.J. Hill of North Carolina State. Maybe Chubb isn't the only 1st rounder on that line (that's how good he was yesterday)...

Seeing now that B.J. Hill was Mayock's player of the day. Not surprised to see with how he was dominating the interior.

Thanks for the updates everyone who's been posting in this thread, keep it up! Don't have time this week to follow practices so twitter and this thread is all I've got!

Anyone have any tidbits on any of the following players? (i know it's early)

Dmitri Flowers, Kalen Ballage, Harrison Phillips, Chad Thomas, Kylie Fitts, or Poona Ford?

11 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Thanks for the updates everyone who's been posting in this thread, keep it up! Don't have time this week to follow practices so twitter and this thread is all I've got!

Dmitri Flowers, Kalen Ballage, Harrison Phillips, Chad Thomas, Kylie Fitts, or Poona Ford?

From what I've seen/heard: Ballage stood out. That's to be expected without pads and hitting, though. He's athletic. Phillips has been beating people cleanly. Great technique. Ford hasn't had as much success this week as last week. Fitts looks smooth in coverage, but can't seem to get off blocks. Got nothing on Thomas.

53 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Flowers - Sadly, wasn't able to see anything of him yesterday. Saw a bit of the other FB in the game, Nick Bawden, who showed what he is (hard worker, functional blocker with okay athleticism and hands). I like Flowers a lot and believe his kind of versatility could warrant a 2nd round pick if he tests decently. Guy has great bloodlines too.

Ballage - Dude is a freak and of course stands out in a practice setting because of it. 

Phillips - Won the majority of his reps I've seen. As always, he is a functional athlete but not great and that's the reason he loses at times. Guy plays with great leverage and tenacity at all times.

Thomas - Out today (probably the rest of the week too) but he was solid yesterday. Carried the momentum from last week into yesterday decently. 

Fitts - Looked really fluid and you can see the athleticism that got him an invite to this week despite playing only 12 games with 6 TFL the last two years combined. However, a bit raw and maybe that's just because of the time he has missed on the field, but he doesn't have the array of moves to consistently win on the edge.

Ford - I thought Ford was below average yesterday from what I saw. In a deep defensive tackle class, you have to wonder where he fits standing under 6 feet. At least he has 32 3/4" arms, which is a solid in that department.

Archived