Cardinals hire Steve Wilks as head coach

The Gnat

Not a bad hire.  Rivera wanted him initially as the DC over McDermott, but he wasn't available at the time.  Despite McDermott being on the team, Wilks was chosen to be the assistant head coach.  He's done a lot of fine work with our DBs too.  I think he deserves a lot of credit for Norman's growth, not to mention all the years he got our secondary to out-play its talent level.

With that said, not sure if he will take over defensive play-calling but his scheme is going to need a lock-down corner.  That is one edge I'll give McD.  He was better at adjusting his scheme to the talent.  Wilks put our secondary in a lot of bad positions last year due to his blitz-happy scheme.  Cardinals shouldn't have to worry about that with Patrick Peterson though.  Mathieu should be a great fit for the defense as well.

Plus, he's got that Denzel Washington look to him.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Wilks has been in so many conversations for coaching positions, not surprised to see him getting a shot.

Hey! Whoah! Wait! Steve Wilks?!? Don't they have to interview at least one NFL Good Ol' Boy to be in compliance with The Rooney Rule??

Image result for NFL Good Old Boys

2 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Bettcher and Wilks don't run anywhere near the same scheme as far as I can tell. That would be a little weird, no?

Well Wilks has ran an aggressive 4-3 whereas Bettcher has ran an aggressive 3-4. It would certainly be interesting to see what would happen. Given the current state of our roster, I kind of find it hard to believe we would switch to a 4-3 as Golden wouldn't have a spot and Jones might not be as dominant as a 4-3 edge. I hear someone, somewhere yelling that head coaches are CEOs and don't need to be the technically gifted ones.

Everything I have read leads me to believe that Wilks commands the room as well as any coach. That's what I want

15 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Well Wilks has ran an aggressive 4-3 whereas Bettcher has ran an aggressive 3-4. It would certainly be interesting to see what would happen. Given the current state of our roster, I kind of find it hard to believe we would switch to a 4-3 as Golden wouldn't have a spot and Jones might not be as dominant as a 4-3 edge. I hear someone, somewhere yelling that head coaches are CEOs and don't need to be the technically gifted ones.

Wilks worked under Rivera in San Diego when he ran a 3-4 defense.  Rivera is very flexible in that regard, so I'm sure Wilks would stick with the 3-4 if he thought it was necessary.