Positional Analysis: WR

WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

By all accounts he has not had issues with TO like behaviour and the Dolphins are trying to bring him back so that should lessen your concerns.

All of his unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this season came from the same incident with the Bills.

Akiem Hicks has 6 unneccassery roughness penalties in 2 seasons.

That's incorrect, and look into how many were flagged because he was bitching at refs. Dude is a clown, the Dolphins reportedly tried trading him during the season -- that should tell you what they think about him.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

G08 

What if Wilson doesn’t hit the market?

In KC he's always going to be the 3rd wheel, 4th if you include Hunt.

In Chicago we can promise him a featured role. He's not going to get franchise tagged.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

That's incorrect, and look into how many were flagged because he was bitching at refs. Dude is a clown, the Dolphins reportedly tried trading him during the season -- that should tell you what they think about him.

They are trying to re-sign him, that should tell you everything you need to know.

He got flagged for 2 unsportsmanlike conducts, for bitching at the refs, and was tossed from one game.

Apologies they were 2 different weeks both against Buf.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/j-landry-miami-dolphins?year=2017

1 hour ago, G08 said:

In KC he's always going to be the 3rd wheel, 4th if you include Hunt.

In Chicago we can promise him a featured role. He's not going to get franchise tagged.

That doesn’t answer the question.

What happens if we can’t land Wilson?

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That doesn’t answer the question.

What happens if we can’t land Wilson?

Then we sign someone with a comparable skill set who didn’t work with Nagy last year. Or we sign a different guy to fill a different role and draft a guy to be the Wilson. Or we plug Meredith into the Wilson role. This can be done a ton of different ways. You have way too many eggs in the Wilson basket. I certainly don’t disagree that there is a logical connection to him but if the capstone to our entire offseason WR position overhaul plan is the potential availability of Albert Wilson then it’s probably doomed from the outset. He’s a scheme fit but he’s not the only one out there. Pace isn’t and can’t be that narrow minded. He’s probably got 10 or more different plans depending on which guys actually make it to FA with them set in order of his preference, many of which probably don’t include Albert Wilson in any capacity. 

My thought on Landry vs Wilson....

For Wilson:

Wilson could be a fine WR for us, but he's not a #1 guy....

If we snagged Wilson, then imo we NEED Ridley in the first.... and frankly I'm not sold on Ridley being a true #1 either, as much as an elite level #2 (ie what Alshon is, but with entirely different skillsets).... That might end up being ideal, since KC likes to spread the ball around a ton, and it matches up with receiver types (since Landry isn't the speed/deep threat that KC apparently stacks)

For Landry

Landry I think gives us that true #1 guy/ reliable checkdown to make Mitch's life easier ..... but one that lets us sit back and maybe still grab Ridley if we wanted to..... but more likely wait and hope we can snag a guy like Chark with one of our 4ths, or perhaps with some kind of trade into the 3rd.

In my mind, the smart play is grabbing Landry. He can be a safety valve for a few years as Mitch learns this system, even if he ends up limiting the slot WR's role a bit overall. In the meantime, that also frees us up to develop whoever we draft this year without pressure on them to be a #1 guy for a couple of years, when we are in a better position with Mitch's development/comfort in the scheme to consider moving on from Landry and replacing him with a better scheme fit.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Then we sign someone with a comparable skill set who didn’t work with Nagy last year. Or we sign a different guy to fill a different role and draft a guy to be the Wilson. Or we plug Meredith into the Wilson role. This can be done a ton of different ways. You have way too many eggs in the Wilson basket. I certainly don’t disagree that there is a logical connection to him but if the capstone to our entire offseason WR position overhaul plan is the potential availability of Albert Wilson then it’s probably doomed from the outset. He’s a scheme fit but he’s not the only one out there. Pace isn’t and can’t be that narrow minded. He’s probably got 10 or more different plans depending on which guys actually make it to FA with them set in order of his preference, many of which probably don’t include Albert Wilson in any capacity. 

I am the Landry guy.

Wilson is a fall back from me. I was just asking because he seemed to be the Lynch pin of G08s plan.

I could see adding Burton, Wilson, Another Vet and a 2nd round pick to the mix and just rolling.

Burton-makes it so you don’t have to over rely on Shaheen before he is ready

Wilson-gives you a check down guy with some verstikiry

Veteran-gives you someone to start on the outside while the draft Pick is groomed.

2nd Round-hopefully becomes and outside threat for you as a rookie.

Probably looking at a 17-18 million investment, which the Bears can easily afford.

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

For Landry

Landry I think gives us that true #1 guy/ reliable checkdown to make Mitch's life easier ..... but one that lets us sit back and maybe still grab Ridley if we wanted to..... but more likely wait and hope we can snag a guy like Chark with one of our 4ths, or perhaps with some kind of trade into the 3rd.

In my mind, the smart play is grabbing Landry. He can be a safety valve for a few years as Mitch learns this system, even if he ends up limiting the slot WR's role a bit overall. In the meantime, that also frees us up to develop whoever we draft this year without pressure on them to be a #1 guy for a couple of years, when we are in a better position with Mitch's development/comfort in the scheme to consider moving on from Landry and replacing him with a better scheme fit.

This. This echoes my thoughts almost exactly.

Landry isn't a choir boy but he is simply the best available.Yes slot WRs are easier to find than outside WRs, but not slot WRs that warrant double coverages from DCs.If we go 4-wide then we have him and Meredith in the slot, two of the best slot WRs in the game. Cohen can be moved to outside at the Z to get him off of press coverage, and then whoever we draft can play the X. In the 2nd there will be several options worth looking at. Or another FA can be put out there - Wilson, Richardson, Burton, etc. I actually love the idea of Jimmy Graham and using him as a big WR as NO did. I'm willing to throw a fair bit of money at the WR/TE corps to let Tru develop, and prefer a surplus of talent with baggage over a squeaky clean corps with the talent lacking.

Z - Cohen

X - Wilson

Slot - Meredith

Slot - Shaheen

If you sign Landry, you're guaranteeing a huge role for him in this offense based on his contract alone; why should we take a huge mismatch off the field in Shaheen?

More and more, James Washington in round 2 makes a ton of sense (I'm assuming he's running a sub 4.45 dash). Force those safeties back, and let Mitch decide whether to check to a run for Howard, rape the middle/underneath, or hit them deep if the safeties rotate late and drop into the box.

Cohen is not a WR and I highly doubt he is being moved there considering he is going to be needed to catch out of the backfield.

There would be no reason to remove from Shaheen from the field.

X-Meredith

Z-Free Agent/Inman/Pick

Slot: Landry

TE: Shaheen

Cohen coming out of the backfield and being moved all over the formation.

Personally I sign

Jarvis Landry

Brice Butler

Ed Dickson

510 Targets is the average over the last 3 years in terms of throws in the Chiefs offense.

WR-290

TE-120

RB-100

WR

Landry-120

Meredith-90

Butler, Draft Pick-50

Draft Pick, Butler-30

TE

Shaheen-80 [would be more than triple his targets and would put him in the top 10]

Brown/Dickson-40 

RB

Cohen-70

Howard-30

Landry is OK in my book. Wish there were better FA options but there probably won't be.

It's year 4 of Pace's crew;  he's gotten rid of guys that didn't fit, he's got a roster that's largely stayed out of trouble by NFL standards,  I think he's going to be willing to take a chance on someone with some red flags and count on the team culture to be strong enough to handle a hot personality, and hopefully influence JL instead of the other way around.

Of course I could be biased by that touchdown of his from a few years ago, where he had like 3 guys hanging off him at the 5 yard line and still managed to get pushed over the line by his O line.  That was cool.  Picture a healthy Kyle Long throwing Landry for a TD. 

Archived