Positional Analysis: WR

WindyCity

1 minute ago, G08 said:

For a guy that gets 160 targets in a season, he's only asked to go over 15 yards 6 times and over 10 yards 23 times.

He timed at 4.77 and has a 28" vert (very poor explosion numbers).

I'd say that's evidence enough for me.

Evidence would be what he has produced. We can throw around combine numbers, but on the field he has had a lot of success and consistently produced in less than ideal circumstances.

Again you can pound him on his 2017 stats all day. That was more of a product of Gase and Cutler than anything. The year previous he was used vertically a lot more.

Just now, chisoxguy7 said:

Is there evidence that he can't do that? That he hasn't done it yet doesn't necessarily mean that he can't.

Hes been the #1 option in Miami for 5 years.  He is what he is.  It has nothing to do with the offense, hes done it in 2 different systems.  He is what he is.  People used to call Marshall a compiler bc of his most targets in the league and his 13 ypc.  Landry isnt Marshall but he is everybit the headache Marshall is. Landry is what he is.  Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.  You dont win championships by paying guys for what they have done.  You win by paying for what they will do

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Hes been the #1 option in Miami for 5 years.  He is what he is.  It has nothing to do with the offense, hes done it in 2 different systems.  He is what he is.  People used to call Marshall a compiler bc of his most targets in the league and his 13 ypc.  Landry isnt Marshall but he is everybit the headache Marshall is. Landry is what he is.  Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.  You dont win championships by paying guys for what they have done.  You win by paying for what they will do

What will he do, in your opinion?

If the Bears throw a bunch of injured and inconsistent guys at the WR position we know what will happen.

We have seen it for years now.

Injured and inconsistent guys end up hurt or not producing. They may have ideal skill sets and everything you look for physically, but you cannot produce yards and TDs from the sideline.

Eddie Royal

Kevin White

Markus Wheaton

All significant investments in injured and inconsistent players that have produced nothing for the Bears on the field.

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

He is 25 years old, why wouldn't he keep producing how he is producing?

He is no where near the mental case that Marshall is. Marshall has been arrested 14 times or something ridiculous and publicly fought with multiple coaching staffs and multiple teams.

Landry had a DV case thrown out and got kicked out of a game this season.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If the Bears throw a bunch of injured and inconsistent guys at the WR position we know what will happen.

We have seen it for years now.

Injured and inconsistent guys end up hurt or not producing. They may have ideal skill sets and everything you look for physically, but you cannot produce yards and TDs from the sideline.

Eddie Royal

Kevin White

Markus Wheaton

All significant investments in injured and inconsistent players that have produced nothing for the Bears on the field.

If Dez Bryant gets released and you can get him for less than 11MM per season, for 2-3 years, do you do it?

Edit: assume he will be your #2 option.

Landry is not a perfect signing by any stretch of the imagination.

But he is the best possible player at a position of extreme need who happens to have the 2 traits the Bears are lacking at WR which is durability and consistency.

This could go sideways, but you are wasting money. The Bears just got done flushing 45 million in one offseason, you can easily recover from money mistakes.

The Bears tried to trade for Landry last season twice from what I have been told. After the Meredith injury and it was pretty well reported that they called at the trade deadline. I am not sure there interest would lessen now that there is no draft pick cost and they still have a desperate need at the position.

Just now, WindyCity said:
1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Landry is not a perfect signing by any stretch of the imagination.

But he is the best possible player at a position of extreme need who happens to have the 2 traits the Bears are lacking at WR which is durability and consistency.

This could go sideways, but you are wasting money. The Bears just got done flushing 45 million in one offseason, you can easily recover from money mistakes.

The Bears tried to trade for Landry last season twice from what I have been told. After the Meredith injury and it was pretty well reported that they called at the trade deadline. I am not sure there interest would lessen now that there is no draft pick cost and they still have a desperate need at the position.

Even if the team is bad, the fans that do show up to games still buy beer. There is money available to take chances on guys, and (our) contracts are always worded so that the misses don't cripple you.

Ridley                                        O O C O O  Shaheen/Sims                   

Landry                            Mitch                                                             Wright/Inman/Meredith

Howard/Cohen

Bears pretty much never even even trotted out this personnel in 2017.  It is most common formation in NFL.  Kinda sad really.

That's not super bowl, but a legit competitive offense.  Not saying Bears should draft Ridley, but this makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

He is 25 years old, why wouldn't he keep producing how he is producing?

He is no where near the mental case that Marshall is. Marshall has been arrested 14 times or something ridiculous and publicly fought with multiple coaching staffs and multiple teams.

Landry had a DV case thrown out and got kicked out of a game this season.

I dont know of any arrests for BMarsh.  

Im sure Landry is going to keep doing what he has been doing which is why im not willing to pay him #1 money.  I dont know what role he fills on this team that cant be filled by someone who costs far less.  For $10M i might consider it but not at $13M.  No way.  No how.

Archived