Positional Analysis: WR

WindyCity

For the NFL, Lee is a well-rounded wide receiver. He is an excellent fit in a West Coast offense as he uses his speed to get separation on slants, crosses and digs. Lee is dangerous with the ball in his hands, so when he gets hit in stride he rips off yards in chunks. Lee also has the ability to take a short catch the distance for points. He isn't a big receiver, but he plays bigger than his listed measurements and can make contested catches. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014mlee.php#ixzz57fdl9PY3

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014mlee.php#DtSxpAcRBZKoMQM8.99

I think we will struggle to add Lee and Wilson both considering how competitive the market appears, but adding 1 would be solid.

My issue with Lee is that he is inconsistent and isn't someone you can necessarily lean on.

He also has had his best production in the slot and Wilson to me is best there as well.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think we will struggle to add Lee and Wilson both considering how competitive the market appears, but adding 1 would be solid.

My issue with Lee is that he is inconsistent and isn't someone you can necessarily lean on.

He also has had his best production in the slot and Wilson to me is best there as well.

I think that's the luxury of not going after Jarvis Landry. 

Truthfully, Wilson makes the most sense because he's young and ascending, had experience with our new head coach, and  won't break the bank. That's the Ryan Pace FA trifecta. 

At MINIMUM I think he'll be here and play both Z and in the slot. I'm still expecting Meredith to play a big role in this offense and maybe we go after someone in round 2. This gives Kevin White a chance to make a name for himself and if he fails there's the rookie and FA/draft next year. 

Whether you wanted Landry or not this hurts the Bears.

The market becomes tighter and more competive.

Now we have a GM who has struggled to land his top targets, who has struggled at the WR position, in a smaller more expensive talent pool. Not good.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Whether you wanted Landry or not this hurts the Bears.

The market becomes tighter and more competive.

Now we have a GM who has struggled to land his top targets, who has struggled at the WR position, in a smaller more expensive talent pool. Not good.

It probably didn’t help, but this is considered a deep year in the draft too. Most teams don’t have our level of immediate starter need at the position and may be more willing to set a harder price cap in FA before targeting a replacement in the draft. 

41 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It probably didn’t help, but this is considered a deep year in the draft too. Most teams don’t have our level of immediate starter need at the position and may be more willing to set a harder price cap in FA before targeting a replacement in the draft. 

We hope that is how the market plays out.

Just seems like we are going to take on some injury concerns and some production inconsistency in a unit that needs some health and production.

Hard for me to expect rookie WRs to come in and contribute year 1.

It was thin before, with question marks.  It's thin now too.

I think the Bears are going to be forced to gamble on getting more out of mid tier FA's, and hoping some draft guys step up.  Nothing new under the sun here, but they should be better than 2017 at least.  

On the upside, they now have OT, OG, OLB, WR, CB(?) as first round needs.  Gotta be one there right?

43 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We hope that is how the market plays out.

Just seems like we are going to take on some injury concerns and some production inconsistency in a unit that needs some health and production.

Hard for me to expect rookie WRs to come in and contribute year 1.

It’s all about putting them in position to succeed. Expecting Meredith is going to be one starter and our top FA WR is the other, you’re asking a rookie to play slot reps or rotational reps with one of the two starters moving inside. Let them contribute while allowing them the opportunity to show they can handle more. The lack of a true top WR add in FA makes it far more likely we add 2 FA though IMO. If we are able to land a Robinson or Watkins that’s a clear cut established starter with a track record for success in that role then the next add being a FA or draft pick becomes more unclear because we have more certainty at the top. 

I still think you’re too quick to look past Cohen’s role in the slot though. Even if it’s some kind of split in his reps between slot and backfield time instead of him becoming a pure slot it’s going to reduce the pressure put on the slot WR to produce a ton, especially if that player is a rookie. Cohen’s versatility is a legit asset Nagy should look to use in many ways IMO, especially with what may be a really young WR core in 2018. If we go 3+ WR 40 plays a game and Cohen is lined up in the slot for 15-25 of them, which I don’t think would be a huge stretch, then your #3 WR is really playing #4 reps until at which point they show to be worthy of more. 

I am not under rating Cohen's role at all, but even if he is in the slot or the backfield we are going to need a WR that can handle that position and be productive with a starters number of targets.

Cohen is going to get 70-80 targets, but that doesn't really change the fact that the WR core is going to need to handle 250-275, depending on what happens at TE.

It might be different if you could throw the ball to Howard more, but that is wasted targets if you are featuring him out of the backfield.

What I do at WR

1. I make a serious offer to Sammy Watkins. 4 years 58 million/32 guaranteed. I am willing to risk money>on field talent

2. If that does not work I am on the phone to Albert Wilson. I think he has the least attached risk because of health and the fact we know what he can do in this system.

3. I am also calling Trey Burton to come in as the #2 TE and someone I can flex all around the formation.

4. I also want to add Marquise Lee with Albert Wilson as another starting option that does not force me to force a draft pick on to the field.

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not under rating Cohen's role at all, but even if he is in the slot or the backfield we are going to need a WR that can handle that position and be productive with a starters number of targets.

Cohen is going to get 70-80 targets, but that doesn't really change the fact that the WR core is going to need to handle 250-275, depending on what happens at TE.

It might be different if you could throw the ball to Howard more, but that is wasted targets if you are featuring him out of the backfield.

What I’m saying is that Cohen’s targets when lined up in the slot are taking WR targets from a WR. If he gets 60 targets from the slot that’s Albert Wilson’s whole season last year, and if Cohen is getting a lot of slot reps there’s gonna be another RB prominently factoring in this equation too.

Targets to Howard aren’t wasted. Nobody’s saying he’s a good receiver or that you feature him in a receiving role, and he will drive you crazy with a handful of drops over the course of the season but that doesn’t mean he isn’t good for a screen or dumpoff a few times a game. He’s averaged 41 targets and 26 catches thru two years. It’s not a big stretch to think that can be 50 targets and 32 catches. We’re talking about one extra target every two games. It’s not like teams leave him uncovered like he’s Shaq at the 3-point line. 

I am fine with Howard getting 50 targets, but he is not just limited in his catching ability he is limited in the routes he runs. Hunt in KC runs a lot of legit WR routes and Clements does the same in Philly.

I think Cohen is going to be needed for those routes out of the backfield more than we think.

If they want to play him a ton in the slot, then I think that they do need to add a legit pass catching back to the team.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine with Howard getting 50 targets, but he is not just limited in his catching ability he is limited in the routes he runs. Hunt in KC runs a lot of legit WR routes and Clements does the same in Philly.

I think Cohen is going to be needed for those routes out of the backfield more than we think.

If they want to play him a ton in the slot, then I think that they do need to add a legit pass catching back to the team.

I think the latter is a very real possibility whether they plan to play Cohen a bunch in the slot or not. I think adding another capable RB is far higher on Pace’s list than most think. The Reid and Nagy offenses have always had several capable RB. 

Archived