Positional Analysis: WR

WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Wheaton's skill set may fit, but the guy is a bandaid and makes WAY too much money.

He’s only a bandaid if he isn’t successful - he’s 26 years old. If he can produce Albert Wilson level numbers (42/554/3 on 62 targets last year) in an offense far more suited to his skill set than the Loggains mess then he’s got long term viability for sure. Those Wilson numbers reasonably align with what Wheaton did in Pittsburgh, and you’re ready to give Wilson Wheaton AAV with more guaranteed according to your mocks. 

His money may be able to be altered too. Convert that $5M with a $1.5M roster bonus to a $2M fully guaranteed with incentives to reach the full $5M with performance. He’s not getting $5M from anyone on the open market after last year and we’ve already agreed his skill set fits well here with Nagy. Potential big win-win, with low risk to us assuming it’s not in lieu of a primary FA signing. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s only a bandaid if he isn’t successful - he’s 26 years old. If he can produce Albert Wilson level numbers (42/554/3 on 62 targets last year) in an offense far more suited to his skill set than the Loggains mess then he’s got long term viability for sure. Those Wilson numbers reasonably align with what Wheaton did in Pittsburgh, and you’re ready to give Wilson Wheaton AAV with more guaranteed according to your mocks. 

His money may be able to be altered too. Convert that $5M with a $1.5M roster bonus to a $2M fully guaranteed with incentives to reach the full $5M with performance. He’s not getting $5M from anyone on the open market after last year and we’ve already agreed his skill set fits well here with Nagy. Potential big win-win, with low risk to us assuming it’s not in lieu of a primary FA signing. 

He has been injured for 2 straight years.

I am not sure why people think he will magically heal and be worth a roster spot.

Bad signing and you move on.

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is not a WR.

The Chiefs threw 105 passes to RBs, there is more than enough work for him out of the backfield. Even more so because Howard cannot catch.

Hes a joker back so he can split out in the slot.  Line up in the i.  Line up as a wing in shotgun, etc...  Cohens a versatile weapon who needs 12-15 touches per game imo.  We saw all year how much teams respect his speed and agility.  Ideally we want teams to be forced to role a lb over to cover him bc thats a win for us everytime.

25 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

2 straight years of missing significant time is a trend.

Once that trend starts it is really hard to come back from.

That's an evaluation the coaches and Pace need to make.  He has speed and is a professional WR. I would try to keep him if they think he fits better in this offense. 

Tyreek Hill [5th]

5'8"
185lbs.
40: 4.29
Vert: 40.5"
Broad: 10'9"
3 cone: 6.53
Shuttle: 4.06

Chris Conley [3rd]

6'2"
213lbs
40: 4.35
Vert: 45"
Broad: 11'7"
3 cone: 7.06
Shuttle: 4.30

Albert Wilson [UDFA]

5'9"
203lbs.
40: 4.43
Vert: 37.5"
Broad: 10'3"
3 cone: 7.0
Shuttle: 4.20

Jehu Chesson [4th]

6'3"
204lbs

40: 4.47
Vert: 35.5"
Broad: 11'
3 cone: 6.07
Shuttle: 4.09

Demarcus Robinson [4th]

6'1" 
203lbs.

40: 4.58
Vert: 34.5"
Broad: 10'3"
3 cone: 6.77
Shuttle: 4.19

Observations

-Outside of Robinson they all have pretty insane explosion numbers [vert, broad] and fast to exceptionally fast 40 times.

-All have really good 3 cone and shuttle times, which generally indicate change of direction.

-Obviously by round drafted they have not made huge investments in these guys from a draft capital perspective.

-College production does not seem to matter as much as physical skill set. Most of these guys never crossed the 1000 yard mark in any season in college.

Sounds like Kevin White has been training in Arizona, so that's good. I hope that dude is keeping in shape and really working on his route running.

I'll be surprised if he's not expected to play a big role in this offense, but the Bears also will hedge him with a rookie. Personally I wouldn't trust him, but he's Pace's baby.

Again, not what I would do but I could see this as:

White

Meredith

Wheaton or Brown

Rookie

Inman for depth

33 minutes ago, G08 said:

Sounds like Kevin White has been training in Arizona, so that's good. I hope that dude is keeping in shape and really working on his route running.

I'll be surprised if he's not expected to play a big role in this offense, but the Bears also will hedge him with a rookie. Personally I wouldn't trust him, but he's Pace's baby.

Again, not what I would do but I could see this as:

White

Meredith

Wheaton or Brown

Rookie

Inman for depth

There will be at least 3 WRs added in some way shape or form.

White will not be relied on again. Pace is not an idiot he knows he cannot expose himself at WR like this again.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There will be at least 3 WRs added in some way shape or form.

White will not be relied on again. Pace is not an idiot he knows he cannot expose himself at WR like this again.

I'm completely picking up what you're putting down, Windy, but I think Pace is still going to ask Nagy to make every effort possible to get something out of this kid. You can see it in the way Pace talks about the kid... it's not even how much he wants his first pick to succeed, but I think he actually has an emotional investment in Kevin White.

What I'm saying is I don't think White is going to be hedged with some high priced FA... I think it will be a rookie day 2 or 3 pick and/or someone like Dontrelle Inman. I may be wrong but I just have a feeling he's going to be very involved in the development of this playbook BUT there will be a hedge with a player that can do some of the things Kevin White *should* be able to do if healthy.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I'm completely picking up what you're putting down, Windy, but I think Pace is still going to ask Nagy to make every effort possible to get something out of this kid. You can see it in the way Pace talks about the kid... it's not even how much he wants his first pick to succeed, but I think he actually has an emotional investment in Kevin White.

What I'm saying is I don't think White is going to be hedged with some high priced FA... I think it will be a rookie day 2 or 3 pick and/or someone like Dontrelle Inman. I may be wrong but I just have a feeling he's going to be very involved in the development of this playbook BUT there will be a hedge with a player that can do some of the things Kevin White *should* be able to do if healthy.

I think the expectation should be that Pace earmarks White at #4 with an actual professional WR at 5 capable of being a 4 (Inman?), with White having the opportunity to earn a bigger role with health and performance. So, with a reasonably defined role, but also one where he is much more easily replaceable should he get hurt again. #4 also limits his exposure to getting injured because he’s getting less reps, and allows him to work more within what I expect remains a somewhat limited route tree given his lack of reps. 

None of that precludes us from adding a starter in FA nor drafting a guy either. In this scenario White, Meredith and the hedge guy are all on 1-year deals with only the FA starter and presumptive draft pick being locked in beyond 2018, so we can’t ignore development of other guys either. 

Also, while KC had success developing late round guys I can’t see counting on that here. Even in KC they acquired Maclin and kept him until at which point those late round guys developed enough to make him expendable. 

It is tough as I don’t see any slam dunk decisions.

None of the free agents get your super excited. 

The draft has nice 2nd round value, but you also need to address OLB and OT.

It just feels like we are going to be underwhelmed at one of OLB, WR or OT.

Archived