Positional Analysis: WR

WindyCity

45 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It is tough as I don’t see any slam dunk decisions.

None of the free agents get your super excited. 

The draft has nice 2nd round value, but you also need to address OLB and OT.

It just feels like we are going to be underwhelmed at one of OLB, WR or OT.

Honestly I'm not worried. There should be a pass rusher available at 8 and a WR in round 2.

We now have one of the best OL coaches in football, right? Find a hard worker with traits that Hiestand wants and let our guy do his job. 

Not to bag on o-linemen Windy but I'm of the opinion you can find those guys anywhere (save for left tackle, mind you), just need a guy with the right mindset and a strong work ethic. 

13 hours ago, G08 said:

Honestly I'm not worried. There should be a pass rusher available at 8 and a WR in round 2.

We now have one of the best OL coaches in football, right? Find a hard worker with traits that Hiestand wants and let our guy do his job. 

Not to bag on o-linemen Windy but I'm of the opinion you can find those guys anywhere (save for left tackle, mind you), just need a guy with the right mindset and a strong work ethic. 

That is oversimplifying OL.

The best lines in the league are built with top 2-3 round picks.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That is oversimplifying OL.

The best lines in the league are built with top 2-3 round picks.

I beg to differ on the whole... sure if you are looking at LT I'd invest a first round pick (a high one at that). I'd probably consider a 1st round pick for a RT, although not a high one.

Let's look at the Super Bowl as an example, left to right New England Patriots then the Philadelphia Eagles:

Undrafted

(123.6 average)

Undrafted

(120.8 average)

I will consider an undrafted pick to be considered the first one after the draft ended, which will be pick #254. The average of the 2017 NFC and AFC Champions offensive line is pick: 122.2, which is the bottom of the 4th round.

34 minutes ago, G08 said:

I beg to differ on the whole... sure if you are looking at LT I'd invest a first round pick (a high one at that). I'd probably consider a 1st round pick for a RT, although not a high one.

Let's look at the Super Bowl as an example, left to right New England Patriots then the Philadelphia Eagles:

Undrafted

(123.6 average)

Undrafted

(120.8 average)

I will consider an undrafted pick to be considered the first one after the draft ended, which will be pick #254. The average of the 2017 NFC and AFC Champions offensive line is pick: 122.2, which is the bottom of the 4th round.

Those are the best teams, not necessarily the best OLs.

Eagles

UDFA [Peters]-Trade [1st]

2nd [Wisniewski]

UDFA [Kelce]

3rd [Brooks]-Huge Money FA

1st [Johnson] 

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

Windy, Dallas won 9 games and had the 14th ranked scoring offense. That shows you exactly how burning 1st round picks on OL is dumb (again, save for elite LTs).

That is assigning a lot of team blame on the OL. Without that OL perhaps Dallas wins 4 games.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

That is assigning a lot of team blame on the OL. Without that OL perhaps Dallas wins 4 games.

The best teams aren't burning 1st round picks on offensive guards or centers. They also aren't burning high first round picks on RTs.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

And you said it right: the BEST TEAMS aren't burning high picks on the OL. The best OLs are, and they're sitting at home.

The best teams in the league, outside of the Patriots, routinely invest top 100 picks in the OL.

Steelers

2x1st

1x2nd

Saints

2x1st

2nd

2x3rd

Vikings

1st

3rd

Eagles

1st

2nd

3rd

Patriots

1st

3rd

Chiefs

1st

2x2nd

Jaguars

2nd

3rd

Titans

2x1st

3rd

Bills

1st

2x2nd

2x3rd

Panthers

1st

2nd

3rd

Rams

2x2nd

3rd

Falcons

2x1st

2nd

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

The best teams aren't burning 1st round picks on offensive guards or centers. They also aren't burning high first round picks on RTs.

Steelers x2

Saints

Bills

Titans

Playoff teams with a 1st round pick at C, OG or RT.

You're not going to convince me, man xD

Outside of tackles, I think you can find guards and centers anywhere. If we were a polished team to the point where we were looking to upgrade positions, then yeah I'd be okay with taking an OG that high. But man, we have holes EVERYWHERE. OL is the least of my concerns right now, I mean with this group of bums we ranked 11th in rushing YPA and 18th in sacks.

Archived