Positional Analysis: WR

WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The value may absolutely be at OT, although I am starting to sour on McGlinchey and Brown that high. I am not in love with this OT class in the top 10, but outside of possibly CB I am not seeing a slam dunk player at a need position.

OLB-Davenport has had a mediocre Senior Bowl, Edmunds was not a full time pass rusher.

WR-just no one worth the pick

Kind of why I'm big on even a minor trade down that may only pick us up a late second or early third round pick. Add a mid round body and drop our 8th into a better range per value for the  OT's at the top of this draft. While I'd prefer to take an impact defender with our 8th, any OT we add in the first or second round will almost certainly be better than what we have and should be starting early on in 2018 if not from game one.

8 hours ago, 51to54 said:

I did not hear the whole radio clip, but our local sports talk reported that Davenport is destroying everybody put in front of him per pass rush and really standing out.

Davenport seems to fit that insane upside but unfinished product skill position mold in which Pace has fallen in love previously. 

I just do not see how we make a significant upgrade at the WR spot without investing 8th or 39th.

Free agency has some nice options, but hardly guys that are going to make a serious impact on the WR core. I like the thought of adding Richardson, but he is probably bringing 700-800 yards. 

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just do not see how we make a significant upgrade at the WR spot without investing 8th or 39th.

Free agency has some nice options, but hardly guys that are going to make a serious impact on the WR core. I like the thought of adding Richardson, but he is probably bringing 700-800 yards. 

Risk doesn't seem to deter Ryan Pace. How about making a move similar to what the Saints did last year to acquire Alvin Kamara? 

They traded a 7th round pick along with the following year 2nd for pick #65. With the vast number of WRs all kind of clustered into that early 2nd-early 3rd round you could easily get a Jaleel Scott/Michael Gallup/Daeshon Hamilton, someone like that. Might be worth the gamble. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Fact of the matter is there are no dominant #1 type WRs available in either FA or the draft (at least from what we know).  I'm talking about the Julios, ABs, Hopkins, Greens of the world.

That said, while it'd be a nice plus to have, I don't believe that this Bears team absolutely needs one of those guys. 

They just need 2-3 reliable guys who can stretch the field and get open.  Cam Meredith should be one of those guys.  Find one or two more in FA and draft one early enough (rounds 2-4) and I think they'll be in a much much better position than last year.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The free agents are upgrades but hardly exciting long term options.

To be fair I won’t be any more excited about most of the draft WR either outside of the top 5-6 guys or so than I would be about John Brown or Paul Richardson as long term options.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

To be fair I won’t be any more excited about most of the draft WR either outside of the top 5-6 guys or so than I would be about John Brown or Paul Richardson as long term options.

I think a WR we take in the 2nd would excite me more than either of those guys.

Washington

Kirk

Gallup

Moore

Those guys have some long term sizzle to them that just isn’t there with the free agent class.

To me it depends. Do we want to use 2018

to patch (Free Agents-4th round pick.)

Or

to build (Free Agent-2nd round pick)

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think a WR we take in the 2nd would excite me more than either of those guys.

Washington

Kirk

Gallup

Moore

Those guys have some long term sizzle to them that just isn’t there with the free agent class.

To me it depends. Do we want to use 2018

to patch (Free Agents-4th round pick.)

Or

to build (Free Agent-2nd round pick)

Kirk and Washington are in my top 5 and would excite me. Kirk is my #2 behind Ridley. Gallup and Moore are more fringe top 10 for me with a whole bunch of guys on whom I want to see measurables. 

What they think of Meredith and what Cohen’s role is going to be will play a big part in determining how we address the position. If they’re planning to use Cohen as much in the slot as in the backfield then our WR adds may be more limited than any of us are expecting, and we’ll see a reasonably significant add at RB. 

Rams fans seem to think that Tavon Austin is as good as gone.  Of course  he's not a solution, however, he is explosive and could be a solid and relatively inexpensive addition, and he's only 26.  I wasn't a fan of him coming out of the draft, and still don't think he's got what it takes to be more than a gimmick WR, but we could certainly use more explosiveness in that group, thats for sure.

12 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Rams fans seem to think that Tavon Austin is as good as gone.  Of course  he's not a solution, however, he is explosive and could be a solid and relatively inexpensive addition, and he's only 26.  I wasn't a fan of him coming out of the draft, and still don't think he's got what it takes to be more than a gimmick WR, but we could certainly use more explosiveness in that group, thats for sure.

I wouldn't hate it but I think Tarik Cohen is already a better version of Austin and already provides everything and more that Austin would bring to this offense.

Archived