2018 Senior Bowl

Forge

Arizona State’s Kalen Ballage on the North Side. Ballage ran the ball with patience and exhibited terrific vision breaking a long run to the left without even getting touched until he was well on his way to scoring in the second level. Ballage (6021 222lbs) looked like a Latavius Murray clone at weigh-ins this morning but what was most impressive today was his ability to create separation and catch the football out of the backfield. 

This guy has my attention...6'2 rb who can shake linebackers with ease. Sign me up

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Baker Mayfield officially measured in at 6'0. that's great for us. While the height isn't ideal, it's better than sub 6'0, and anything that helps his stock to the point of going in the top 10 (thus pushing better positional players to us at 9 or 10) or possible trade downs is a win in my book. 

Yeah.  My fondest wish is that both Mayfield and Allen go top 8, along with Darnold and Rosen. I guess alternatively one of them could still be there when our turn comes up and two or more teams get into a bidding war to be the one to get that guy.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Yeah.  My fondest wish is that both Mayfield and Allen go top 8, along with Darnold and Rosen. I guess alternatively one of them could still be there when our turn comes up and two or more teams get into a bidding war to be the one to get that guy.

Not the way Allen has been throwing at the practices lol

2 hours ago, Forge said:

If we pass on Nelson in the top 10, Wynn is possibly the next guy up for me in terms of guard prospects and the one I want the most. Love the athleticism, versatility. I don't know that we could get him at the back end of round 2, however. 

I might be itnerested in James Daniels if he lats till our second pick. I really want us to fill either C or G in free agency and then fill the other spot in the draft.

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

Early on, in the WR vs CB drills, I don't think I saw Jaleel Scott not get separation and make the catch.

You're saying he was regularly getting separation?  Good.  I'm a big fan of his.  Don't know how he will perform at the combine but I'm hoping he might be a third rounder prospect for us.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not the way Allen has been throwing at the practices lol

I know you like him, and others do to.  I've just never seen anything in him other than an athletic, strong-armed guy.  All those other things I look for in a QB seem to be missing from his game. You have often ranked QBs lower than the draft gurus do.  Allen is one guy where I do that.  I see him as a second round prospect probably worth taking a shot on towards the bottom of the first.

6 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I know you like him, and others do to.  I've just never seen anything in him other than an athletic, strong-armed guy.  All those other things I look for in a QB seem to be missing from his game. You have often ranked QBs lower than the draft gurus do.  Allen is one guy where I do that.  I see him as a second round prospect probably worth taking a shot on towards the bottom of the first.

I loved him last year (though I didn't have a first round grade on him if he came out because of the limited sample)..he had made the best throws I saw out any quarterback I watched last year. Two beautiful sideline throws against Boise, a crazy corner endzone throw against Nebraska...I mean, it was there. Assumed that he would progress in both his decision making as well as his accuracy. That hasn't happened. The accuracy in particular is an issue; last year I felt he had a lot of dropped passes that killed some of his completion percentage (to go along with some inaccurate throws) so I didn't think he was as inaccurate as the 56% indicated. But this year he did basically the same exact thing, and I can only give him so much credit for the pressure he dealt with (he was the most pressured quarterback out of the bigger prospects on a percentage basis). Now watching him just badly miss throws in practice for senior bowl where he's just tossing a football...I mean, at some point you just have to acknowledge that it may not be there. The accuracy isn't going to magically get better, which basically makes him Jake Locker. Basically, his stock flatlined for me from last year to this year. I'm of a mind with you - I Think you can give him the Kizer treatment and take him in the second, but I don't know that you can expect much from him. 

You can't spend a first round pick on him. 

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

You're saying he was regularly getting separation?  Good.  I'm a big fan of his.  Don't know how he will perform at the combine but I'm hoping he might be a third rounder prospect for us.

I only saw him two or three times, on short routes. He didn't look like a 6'5" guy. But maybe the guy in front of him simply made him look good. But still, even if he just has a hint of separation, his size is a huge advantage. They should have a jump ball drill just for these tall guys. It would be fun!

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Another day where I am very impressed with DaeSean Hamilton from PSU. That dude also gets open with excellent agility. Had that one huge drop early in one of them games last week.. but looks to be making up for it in practices, at least.

Yes, Hamilton is always open. He's so quick. Mayock called him a big slot (I thought it was very rude of him!). Do you think he's exclusively a slot receiver in the NFL? He sure has the quickness for it, but he's still a 6'1" 200lbs guy. Even if he's strictly a slot guy, he could be interesting. We could be lethal from the slot with Taylor and him.

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I only saw him two or three times, on short routes. He didn't look like a 6'5" guy. But maybe the guy in front of him simply made him look good. But still, even if he just has a hint of separation, his size is a huge advantage. They should have a jump ball drill just for these tall guys. It would be fun!

Other than an early rep (1st one IIRC) against #1 Chris Campbell, he did pretty well on getting open. 

5 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Yes, Hamilton is always open. He's so quick. Mayock called him a big slot (I thought it was very rude of him!). Do you think he's exclusively a slot receiver in the NFL? He sure has the quickness for it, but he's still a 6'1" 200lbs guy. Even if he's strictly a slot guy, he could be interesting. We could be lethal from the slot with Taylor and him.

I'm not familiar enough with his resume to say.. but initial thought would be that he can play outside just fine. 

Wanted to add that even from yesterday and starting into where I am catching up today... I like what I see of DL BJ Hill from NCState #98. He is powerful, yet can consistently get penetration as a pass rush threat also, from what I see.

Archived