Why not replace the Pro Bowl with a Futures Game?

Apparition

The damn thing is already being drained of real star power from guys deciding to skip it every year. Why not reinvent it as a showcase for the league's best up-and-coming talent? Limit participation to the best players who have started 16 or fewer career games. They're the ones who will be least likely to pass up the opportunity since the experience will be new to them, and the league can sweeten the pot further by ramping up bonus pay for being voted in and participating. Plus it'll help solve the league's star power problem by putting the spotlight on young players who aren't already household names. 

It still ends up being like the pro bowl, just without the stars. It's still an exhibition game and nothing more. People aren't going to want to risk injury for something that doesn't do anything, so it'll be a game that much like the pro bowl, which isn't real football. 

Just now, Forge said:

It still ends up being like the pro bowl, just without the stars. It's still an exhibition game and nothing more. People aren't going to want to risk injury for something that doesn't do anything, so it'll be a game that much like the pro bowl, which isn't real football. 

People watch all star games in other sports, which are similarly meaningless (that nonsense with the MLB ASG deciding home field in the world series is a stupid outlier). There's no reason why the Pro Bowl HAS to be unwatchable. 

17 minutes ago, beats2rock said:

I'd like to see an all rookie game.

Didnt they do that a few years back?

Seem to remember some rookie RB (from the Pats) blew out his knee (in a career ending kinda way) and so much for wasting time that way!

1 minute ago, Starless said:

That was a beach flag football game. 

Yes. The last one ever held if I recall.

Personally? If I were a GM? I'd see zero need for my rookie class to be busting ankles, knees or whatever in some worthless exhibition game.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Yes. The last one ever held if I recall.

Personally? If I were a GM? I'd see zero need for my rookie class to be busting ankles, knees or whatever in some worthless exhibition game.

Maybe hand out compensatory picks for broken ankles?

Archived