Monster Hunter: World

showtime

Well, I will give my 3ish hours into the game review.  I have only played Monster Hunter 1, for reference.

This is a lot of fun.  I think the biggest issues that I am having are that it is a new game, for instance, I keep hitting square when I want to attack and waste potions.  I am having a bit of a struggle with the map, I think exploring it more will help.  I think I preferred the manual combining of materials and the overall looting of the other MH game that I had, but again, it could just be because I am not used to the mechanics yet.  I am not sure if I like the fireflies or not.  Sometimes they have been incredibly helpful, other times they have been annoying and they feel kinda cheaty.  I saw on one of the videos that you can turn the flies off, I might do that as I get more experienced with the game.  I think the monsters are weaker than in the first game, at least thus far.  I like how you can hide, and how you can get monsters to fight each other.  I am also finding the town to be needlessly complicated.  It looks neat, but I think it could have been made easier to use by making it smaller.  I don't need 24 NPCs that don't do anything to make the place look like an actual town.  I also like that there is the free expedition map where you can get more stuff to upgrade without having to take the same quest 20 times to hopefully get the right item, or enough of the right item for your next upgrade.

I think I am going to wait a week or so to get a better feel for the map and controls before I jump into multiplayer.  It should be fun.  

I like it a lot.  If you have never played Monster Hunter before, I recommend it.  It is complicated.  It is difficult.  If it is like the first game, it is unforgiving.  But it is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.  

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Well, I will give my 3ish hours into the game review.  I have only played Monster Hunter 1, for reference.

This is a lot of fun.  I think the biggest issues that I am having are that it is a new game, for instance, I keep hitting square when I want to attack and waste potions.  I am having a bit of a struggle with the map, I think exploring it more will help.  I think I preferred the manual combining of materials and the overall looting of the other MH game that I had, but again, it could just be because I am not used to the mechanics yet.  I am not sure if I like the fireflies or not.  Sometimes they have been incredibly helpful, other times they have been annoying and they feel kinda cheaty.  I saw on one of the videos that you can turn the flies off, I might do that as I get more experienced with the game.  I think the monsters are weaker than in the first game, at least thus far.  I like how you can hide, and how you can get monsters to fight each other.  I am also finding the town to be needlessly complicated.  It looks neat, but I think it could have been made easier to use by making it smaller.  I don't need 24 NPCs that don't do anything to make the place look like an actual town.  I also like that there is the free expedition map where you can get more stuff to upgrade without having to take the same quest 20 times to hopefully get the right item, or enough of the right item for your next upgrade.

I think I am going to wait a week or so to get a better feel for the map and controls before I jump into multiplayer.  It should be fun.  

I like it a lot.  If you have never played Monster Hunter before, I recommend it.  It is complicated.  It is difficult.  If it is like the first game, it is unforgiving.  But it is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.  

A solid testimonial in favor.

I've been using Dual Blades since I started playing.  I really love the super mobile play style they offer.  I've been playing mostly solo, but I assisted a friend in taking down a monster that was giving her problems.  I've been reading around other places (not here) and some people are saying this game is too hard and/or too complicated.  I'm not really sure what to say, it's literally a video game.  If this is too hard or too complicated then I guess good luck in real life.

I haven't slept much since I got home from work on Friday.  There is no sleep.  There is only the hunt.

I've put in over 10 hours so far.  2018 just started, but this is the game of the year.  There isn't another game that will be released this year that is better than this one.  It's so rewarding to hunt a monster that is giving you such a difficult time and you even die a few times only to eventually come back and conquer said monster.  

There is no hand holding or 'babying' like 99% of games on the market do.  Hats off to Capcom for staying true to the franchise and not dumbing this down to cater to the super casual audience who won't appreciate the game anyway.

7 hours ago, showtime said:

I've been using Dual Blades since I started playing.  I really love the super mobile play style they offer.  I've been playing mostly solo, but I assisted a friend in taking down a monster that was giving her problems.  I've been reading around other places (not here) and some people are saying this game is too hard and/or too complicated.  I'm not really sure what to say, it's literally a video game.  If this is too hard or too complicated then I guess good luck in real life.

I haven't slept much since I got home from work on Friday.  There is no sleep.  There is only the hunt.

Yeah, I have been using mostly dual blades.  I used the hammer for a few hunts and the insect glaive for a few.  I was getting my butt kicked for a while, then I upgraded my armor, LOL.  The T-Rex guy is currently beating me, I am liking the death by 1000 cuts of the dual blades on him, I almost got him.  It is all about moving.  I think the last try I would have had him but I died two times when I accidentally hit square and started to sharpen my blades, haha! 

19 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Been going with the dual blades, as well. Still in the first area as I haven't had a ton of time. I'm getting better though I need to do more traps and using more than button spamming to take down monsters. You MH veterans have a tutorial site or video that could explain some of the basics?

Look up Gaijin Hunter or Arreks tutorials on YouTube. They are both super helpful with everything you would want to know. I prefer Gaijin myself.  Currently maining Lance (have a poison one and working on a water one), Barroth Hammer, and full Barroth, Vespoid, and Hunter armor sets. May start mixing and matching soon to get desired effects. But the Barroth armor is nice. I started MH with 3 Ultimate and have played 4 Ultimate and Generations as well (well over 1000 hours in the franchise total, small to a lot of other vets XD). This is by far the best in the series that I have played, and seems to be the favorite among most veterans as well. Such a solid game all around.

On 1/27/2018 at 3:48 PM, showtime said:

There is no hand holding or 'babying' like 99% of games on the market do.  Hats off to Capcom for staying true to the franchise and not dumbing this down to cater to the super casual audience who won't appreciate the game anyway.

To be 100% honest, they absolutely did dumb it down to cater to newer, maybe slightly more casual players. They just did it in ways that didn't ruin overall mechanics or gameplay. Nothing was truly sacrificed. But it was dumbed down a ton. Examples:

• Armor and weapon crafting now displayed in full trees in the UI, along with "Wishlists" that allows you to track buildable armor/weapons in realtime.
  • Decorations are now more of an endgame feature then an almost mandatory thing you need to do to get the desired skills early game.
  • The skill system was completely overhauled to make it simpler and easier to access. Instead of having to have 10 points in a skill for it to become active, armor or charms simply give you the skill in varying tiers.
  • Full access to your item and equipment in camps now, instead of having to quit out of the quest or just go on without what you may have forgotten.
  • No more having to carry around nets, pickaxes, etc. taking up extra space. Instead now you just grab things as you go. Sometimes you don't even need to stop moving to collect.

I can go on and on. Yes, a lot of these things were to make the game a lot less tedious for veterans. But at the same time, it has made the game more accessible for more casual and new timers then it ever has been. Granted, it is still not a "hold you by the hand" kind of game. You're gonna cut your teeth learning Monster Hunter no matter what game you play. But the dumb downs in this game were very welcome all around. The core mechanics and hunting were not really changed that much and that's why it is as grand as it is:D

10 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

To be 100% honest, they absolutely did dumb it down to cater to newer, maybe slightly more casual players. They just did it in ways that didn't ruin overall mechanics or gameplay. Nothing was truly sacrificed. But it was dumbed down a ton. Examples:

• Armor and weapon crafting now displayed in full trees in the UI, along with "Wishlists" that allows you to track buildable armor/weapons in realtime.
  • Decorations are now more of an endgame feature then an almost mandatory thing you need to do to get the desired skills early game.
  • The skill system was completely overhauled to make it simpler and easier to access. Instead of having to have 10 points in a skill for it to become active, armor or charms simply give you the skill in varying tiers.
  • Full access to your item and equipment in camps now, instead of having to quit out of the quest or just go on without what you may have forgotten.
  • No more having to carry around nets, pickaxes, etc. taking up extra space. Instead now you just grab things as you go. Sometimes you don't even need to stop moving to collect.

I can go on and on. Yes, a lot of these things were to make the game a lot less tedious for veterans. But at the same time, it has made the game more accessible for more casual and new timers then it ever has been. Granted, it is still not a "hold you by the hand" kind of game. You're gonna cut your teeth learning Monster Hunter no matter what game you play. But the dumb downs in this game were very welcome all around. The core mechanics and hunting were not really changed that much and that's why it is as grand as it is:D

Everything you listed would have been things that'd have turned me off to this game. So I completely agree with you. Good job, Capcom!