Gronk Talk - Officially Cleared for the SB

Deadpulse

Please post all rumors, updates, fears, and general coping mechanisms for the stress here. Let me kick it off:

Pats are optimistic he’ll be cleared to play against the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII on Feb. 4 in Minneapolis, according to a Herald source.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/2018/01/patriots_notebook_rob_gronkowski_out_with_concussion_but_team_hopeful_hell

1 hour ago, biggbrd said:

Anyone know what the average time a player misses with concussion is?

Max a game. Two weeks should be fine. I normally wouldn't compare my experiences to that of an NFL player, but I got a pretty bad concussion once from a car accident on the highway at very high speeds. I would have passed a concussion test a week later, let alone two weeks. If he isn't in the game, it's more than a concussion imo

I'm pretty sure he mouthed "I don't know where I am" when he first got up after the hit. Career implications are always kinda hush hush with concussions, but all seriousness hope he is OK both to play in two weeks and more importantly that there aren't any serious lasting effects on his long term health.

Things are a lot different than they used to be when it comes to dealing with concussions.  I saw an interview of Fran Tarkenton and they asked him about this.  He said that in his day when a player went down after taking a hit (like the one Gronk took), the medical staff used to come out on the field, crack open the smelling salts, and then ask the player what city he was playing in.  They normally gave him a two STATE benefit of the doubt.  In other words, if they were playing in Pittsburgh and the player answered "Tampa Bay", it was a bad one so they would take him out.  If he said "New York", they would conclude "you're ok, you can go back in the game."  :D

Although it's frustrating to miss a player of Gronk's caliber because of a concussion, it's a good that they are taking the proper precautions.  These days.  Hopefully, Gronk will be back to 100% by game day.  As other posts have stated above, having the bye week will probably help him get back in there for you.

Finally, congratulations on getting back to another big one, and best of luck on winning another one.  Welcome to Minneapolis!

Notes from Mike Reiss:

• Gronkowski was present at the facility Monday. By the time reporters arrived in the locker room, his chair was folded up at his locker, and he had left.

• Teammate/captain Matthew Slater described Gronkowski as being in “pretty good spirits” when they talked.

• It has been reported that Gronkowski has a concussion -- and it certainly looked that way based on how wobbly he was on his feet after the hit -- but the team has not confirmed that.

• The earliest that confirmation would likely come from the team is Wednesday of this week ( Jan. 24), which is the first day both Super Bowl teams have to submit their first participation report. That participation report must specify each player’s injury and level of participation in practice. On Friday of this week (Jan. 26), the teams must add a game status to their injury report (questionable, doubtful, out).

• According to ESPN’s Stats & Information, Gronkowski has been listed on the injury report 49 times over his eight-year career, but never with a concussion. That doesn’t include the times he was placed on injured reserve. In 2013, when he tore his ACL on a hit by T.J. Ward that ended his season, Gronkowski was believed to have sustained a concussion on the play as well.

• Asked what he thought about the hit by Jaguars safety Barry Church that knocked Gronkowski out of the game, Bill Belichick said on sports radio WEEI on Monday: "Two officials threw flags. I think it was a penalty." Asked if there was an intent to go high, Belichick said, "You can't judge intent. I can't judge intent. I think it was a penalty, no question."

59 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Any word on Branch? Is he injured or just out of favour? He might be very useful against a good Philly run game.

Think he was both injured and wasn't performing.  

Might see him get some snaps vs Philly depending on how he does in practice this week.

Archived