Super Bowl LII - Patriots vs Eagles - What year is it?

Deadpulse

15 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

In 2007 we had one of the best rosters ever assembled. It doesn’t matter if you barely lose, a loss is still a loss. The point still stands though that they should be able to contend next season but injuries are part of the game and we will most likely lose players again next season and so does every other team. 

A loss is a loss yes...but acting like the all is lost like @everlong is because of this game is dumb. We came within a few plays of another SB championship while our defense played arguably it's worst game in the Belichick era. 

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

To be fair, Sproles, Peters, and Wentz really weren’t going to do all that much more than the replacements did in their stead...

And in regards to next season, two of those guys likely won’t even be on the team (not that this hurts the team much at all).

That is really undercutting them as players. Yes Foles played out of his mind, but Carson allows our offense to do WAY more. Peters is a HoF left tackle. Sproles, well I suppose that one I'll give you. Clement has developed in such a way where he's sort of able to things similar to what Sproles does.

My point was that injuries happen, being able to overcome them is what made the difference for us. Not my intention to come off as hostile towards you all.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

That is really undercutting them as players. Yes Foles played out of his mind, but Carson allows our offense to do WAY more. Peters is a HoF left tackle. Sproles, well I suppose that one I'll give you. Clement has developed in such a way where he's sort of able to things similar to what Sproles does.

My point was that injuries happen, being able to overcome them is what made the difference for us. Not my intention to come off as hostile towards you all.

Nah I can see how my post could have come off as blaming injuries a bit, wasn't my intention.

I just hate the immediate overreaction to big losses like this, like the world is ending.

Again, great friggen game man, not the outcome I wanted, but one I'll never forget.

Rematch next season B|

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Eh, agree to disagree. I don’t think the jump from Vaitai’s SB performance to what we’d expect from Peters’ would be that significant. Same for Foles to Wentz (SB performance only), Foles was hitting on all cylinders and the defense was quite bad. Not much left on the field for Wentz to cleanup IMO. 

Didn’t catch my edit, the discussion wasn’t about overcoming injuries. It was about Hightower’s injury being relevant or irrelevant (definitely the former). 

Really wasn’t about one team being more injured or less than the other.

34 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Nah I can see how my post could have come off as blaming injuries a bit, wasn't my intention.

I just hate the immediate overreaction to big losses like this, like the world is ending.

Again, great friggen game man, not the outcome I wanted, but one I'll never forget.

Rematch next season B|

Hurts to watch the defense get wrecked, as a Pats fan but, I don't think anyone can deny that the game was exciting as hell.  Was pretty much a Wild West shootout

19 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Then sit him for a QTR or a half....he cut off his nose to spite his face. 

He looks bad here and people will always remember this with him.

The only person he really hurt here was himself. 

Not if he trulely believed that Butler wasn’t mentally and/or physically ready to go. 

Do people really believe Belichick just kept Butler benched because of his ego?

Youre acting like this was a first time offense. Or that it was strictly because he missed curfew. There’s two sides to every story. I don’t necessarily agree with Belichicks decision but I’m pretty confident it wasn’t a decision to stroke his own ego.

6 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Not if he trulely believed that Butler wasn’t mentally and/or physically ready to go. 

Do people really believe Belichick just kept Butler benched because of his ego?

Youre acting like this was a first time offense. Or that it was strictly because he missed curfew. There’s two sides to every story. I don’t necessarily agree with Belichicks decision but I’m pretty confident it wasn’t a decision to stroke his own ego.

He didnt even try putting Butler in after seeing Rowe get abused, instead going with backups and STs all game. 

The defense was absolutely useless that game...not like they could have done any worse with Butler in. 

The Patriots' defensive woes were a familiar refrain earlier in the season; making it all the way to the championship game with that unit is a great achievement in itself. It's just a shame they didn't win, because that would have been a great '3 Games to Glory' set. (I have 2001 and 2014.)

Obviously there will be some adjustments made as new coordinators step in on both sides of the ball, but I'm confident that New England will remain a force to be reckoned with in the AFC. Best of luck next season.

1 hour ago, The Third Rider said:

Well the issue was not really the secondary play, it’s the lack of pressure that killed them. 

It was both. We didn't get pressure. But the Eagles were busting our secondary coverage pretty bad. By not playing Butler they had Bademosi and Richards out there and Chung playing in the slot. Eagles were just picking our weakest link and exploiting it. They found a mismatch pretty fast on every play. Jeffrey killed us until Gilmore was put on him. Agoholor killed us after. Then they mixed Ertz in. We really needed someone else capable in the secondary. One more tackle or 3rd/4th down stop could have been everything.

Had my 48 hour cooldown.

A.) Obviously Butler did sonething bad enough to piss off Belichick. Belichick wanted to win this more than all of us combined. If the rumors that Butler was goofing off are true, then Belichick can't contradict the "do your job" motto and play someone that wasn't doing their job. If the rumors are true, Butler likely wouldn't be that effective anyway. The lack of clarification is frustrating, but Belichick being tight-lipped is nothing new and it's probably for the greater good.

B.) Rowe is getting too much hate. He's always been a decent enough corner for us. Getting torched that badly was likely due to his assignment being changed at the last minute 

15 hours ago, lancerman said:

It was both. We didn't get pressure. But the Eagles were busting our secondary coverage pretty bad. By not playing Butler they had Bademosi and Richards out there and Chung playing in the slot. Eagles were just picking our weakest link and exploiting it. They found a mismatch pretty fast on every play. Jeffrey killed us until Gilmore was put on him. Agoholor killed us after. Then they mixed Ertz in. We really needed someone else capable in the secondary. One more tackle or 3rd/4th down stop could have been everything.

I feel that a lot of those ailments could be fixed with a more consistent pass rush. Going into the off season the Pats just cannot afford to spend top dollar on yet another CB while the front seven gets pushed around game in and game out. Quick scatbacks and highly mobile QBs have terrorized this defense for years. They need a better Dline and more athletic linebackers. 

I agree a more consistent pass rush is of the utmost importance and would have gone a LONG way in helping the secondary.

My biggest problem is with not even attempting to put Butler out there after watching Rowe getting abused.

Not at least trying to play Butler and not putting Gilmore on Jeffrey sooner are two things that frustrate me the most looking back. 

9 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

I feel that a lot of those ailments could be fixed with a more consistent pass rush. Going into the off season the Pats just cannot afford to spend top dollar on yet another CB while the front seven gets pushed around game in and game out. Quick scatbacks and highly mobile QBs have terrorized this defense for years. They need a better Dline and more athletic linebackers. 

They can't pay top dollar for another corner given what we are paying for Gillmore already, but could definitely use a 1st/2nd on a guy we think can be a starter. 

Not that I trust Belichick drafting defensive backs early... that's almost always a recipe for disaster, McCourty aside... but seems like a logical use of one of those early picks.

Archived