Senior Bowl Week Observations

Broncofan

Seems like it's worthy of its own topic, once the NFLN starts showing scrimmages.

First 3 notes worth mentioning:

1.  Josh Allen is doing his best to get picked 1.1 - wants to play for the Browns.  This would be the best-case result IMO - drives us into the Darnold/Rosen range. 

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/01/22/josh-allen-browns-savior-senior-bowl/

2.  Baker Mayfield comes in 1 day late to the Senior Bowl for a family matter - by itself, nothing to see here.  It is worth noting he missed the BCS Press Day for same reason - family matter.   No way of knowing either way, but those turned off by his attitude likely question it, those who support it would say if it's a family matter, probably a chronic one.   I personally just want to see what he can do with NFL-style windows and timing and pressure.  I do wonder if missing the height/weigh-in was part of this delay.   Hope he gets here on time today.

3.  Hand measurements - he's not likely going to us, but Mason Rudolph likely goes Day 2 somewhere to be their QBOTF, so interesting to see him with rest of the QB field, his initial measurements:

Allen's got monster mitts, will give him that.   Darnold's hand size will be a big point of contention given the fumbles this year, have to wait for Rosen/Darnold until the Combine though. Allen's accuracy and pocket awareness / instincts will be the big focus.

Edited by Broncofan

Some guys labelled as projects got a bump here:

Crosby immediately becomes a guy who if he shows good technique and footwork, guarantees a 2nd round pick IMO.   Injuries limited his 2016-17 tape after being hyped going into 2016 - everyone thought he was limited physically, just a technique guy.  So hard to find the NFL LT skillset.   This already helps his stock immensely.

The other name that pops out is Leonard, a small school ILB - the knock always being the competition and how athletic these guys really are, his tape and agility drills are going to be the key.   We should be getting huge looks at both guys (too bad Leonard is on the South squad, but no doubt someone is watching their practices too).   Neither guy is going until Day 2 earliest IMO (Conor Williams, Orlando Brown and McGlinchey have the name value to go top 3 LT's) - anything we can do to negate our Day 2 failures and continue to mine for Day 3 value is a plus.  

Edited by Broncofan

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Seems like it's worthy of its own topic, once the NFLN starts showing scrimmages.

First 3 notes worth mentioning:

1.  Josh Allen is doing his best to get picked 1.1 - wants to play for the Browns.  This would be the best-case result IMO - drives us into the Darnold/Rosen range. 

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/01/22/josh-allen-browns-savior-senior-bowl/

2.  Baker Mayfield comes in 1 day late to the Senior Bowl for a family matter - by itself, nothing to see here.  It is worth noting he missed the BCS Press Day for same reason - family matter.   No way of knowing either way, but those turned off by his attitude likely question it, those who support it would say if it's a family matter, probably a chronic one.   I personally just want to see what he can do with NFL-style windows and timing and pressure.  I do wonder if missing the height/weigh-in was part of this delay.   Hope he gets here on time today.

3.  Hand measurements - he's not likely going to us, but Mason Rudolph likely goes Day 2 somewhere to be their QBOTF, so interesting to see him with rest of the QB field, his initial measurements:

Allen's got monster mitts, will give him that.   Darnold's hand size will be a big point of contention given the fumbles this year, have to wait for Rosen/Darnold until the Combine though. Allen's accuracy and pocket awareness / instincts will be the big focus.

I also read Josh Allen gave Elway huge marks of praise.

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I also read Josh Allen gave Elway huge marks of praise.

Allen's big problem is that all of his weaknesses cited are the ones that are hardest to correct - accuracy, placement, anticipation.   That's going to be very hard to shake, especially at the draft capital a team has to spend.

But he's doing his best to check off all the intangibles of saying the right things to get picked as high as possible.   Can't do anything but give him credit (even though everyone should just do this, it's common sense lol) - play for the Browns, play for the Broncos, whoever.     

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Allen's big problem is that all of his weaknesses cited are the ones that are hardest to correct - accuracy, placement, anticipation.   That's going to be very hard to shake, especially at the draft capital a team has to spend.

But he's doing his best to check off all the intangibles of saying the right things to get picked as high as possible.   Can't do anything but give him credit (even though everyone should just do this, it's common sense lol) - play for the Browns, play for the Broncos, whoever.     

I'm going to need some serious talking down if we go Allen @ 5. 

I don't think there were ever questions that Allen was a high character kid with elite measurable. His issues, to me, are 75% accuracy and 25% anticipation/FB IQ. Its a similar situation to Jake Locker, but without the injures. Jake was a tremendous kid with a great work ethic who just couldn't ever come close to overcoming his natural inaccuracies.

Love seeing Tyrell measure well. He is a better talent than Orlando Brown and McGlinchey IMO.

Darius Leonard is measuring like a freak considering he is only 6'03. Nice middle round prospect. We need a starting ILB and probably another drafted for depth, he wouldn't be a bad depth developmental guy from what I have heard. Have not watched him though. And statistically he seems more like a blitz/rush type ILB than a coverage guy. I prefer guys that can cover over anything myself, but maybe his scheme just didn't have him drop much. Wider learning curve in that case even if he is an athletic freak.

Anyone hear Vance's comments about coaching the Sr. Bowl?

He said it's a "clear advantage" (true) coaching the Senior Bowl, and that you "rarely miss" on prospects when you coach them up close.

Talk about boxing yourself into a corner. He better hope they hit this draft out of the park. To be honest, I'm a little concerned Denver is putting all their eggs in the Sr. Bowl basket. No doubt it's a great opportunity, but it feels like we're going to be honing in on these guys to the extreme.

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I heard Allens issues with accurate are all footwork related. He reminds me of Rivers in some odd way.

There's always an excuse or reason but bottom line, very very few college QB's with accuracy issues ever make it in the NFL.

According to many evaluators it's something you just can't coach or correct. It's much more a mental function than it is physical. Your footwork can be fine but if your mind tells your body to release a ball .1 seconds too early you'll miss your target badly.

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

There's always an excuse or reason but bottom line, very very few college QB's with accuracy issues ever make it in the NFL.

According to many evaluators it's something you just can't coach or correct. It's much more a mental function than it is physical. Your footwork can be fine but if your mind tells your body to release a ball .1 seconds too early you'll miss your target badly.

They tried to adjust Tebows footwork and he became a baseball player...