Senior Bowl Week Observations

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

On other notes what other prospects stood out I'm talking every position besides punter and safety. I don't feel Brandon McManus is safe.

McManus' had a terrible year, but his contract alone means he's going nowhere next year - his dead cap hit with a release is 3.75M, his cap hit in keeping him is 3.5M.   Nothing gained by cutting him except having to pay more for another K.   

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

McManus' had a terrible year, but his contract alone means he's going nowhere next year - his dead cap hit with a release is 3.75M, his cap hit in keeping him is 3.5M.   Nothing gained by cutting him except having to pay more for another K.   

True if we were a championship contending team I think there would be a greater chance in us moving on. The guy missed kicks all year. If our team was in more of those games it would of costs us ws.

The reviews around Mayfield's performance are all over the place. Klis saying Allen was clearly better, others saying Mayfield was better. Some saying they were both good. That bears watching. One thing I will say- Mayfield's inability to take snaps under center is....concerning. Although he made some nice passes yesterday.

Besides that, I would love Gallup on this team. I have a feeling he's going to be a good one. We'll see how practices shake out. Guys who just find ways to get open make long careers in the NFL. Also, not surprised about Washington blowing up. He's a hell of a player,

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The reviews around Mayfield's performance are all over the place. Klis saying Allen was clearly better, others saying Mayfield was better. Some saying they were both good. That bears watching. One thing I will say- Mayfield's inability to take snaps under center is....concerning. Although he made some nice passes yesterday.

Besides that, I would love Gallup on this team. I have a feeling he's going to be a good one. We'll see how practices shake out. Guys who just find ways to get open make long careers in the NFL. Also, not surprised about Washington blowing up. He's a hell of a player,

Washington's athleticism at the Combine will be key - he's only 5'11 (actually a shade less), but huge hands for his size and a wingspan that's only 2" less than the 6'4-6'6 WR's & TE's.   Literally no comp for his body type and style. 

Re: Mayfield, yeah, he didn't look comfortable under center, which is understandable if he's only made 3 throws under center this year.   Still, with the knowledge that he didn't make the calls at the LOS, well, man.  

Re: Allen, he can sling it - but man, raw as hell.   If we weren't burned so badly with Lynch, it might be easier to overlook the flaws - but these were the same issues brought forth with Lynch and ignored.  I'll say right away that Allen has elite physical traits where Lynch wasn't quite as good, but that's just so hard to dismiss.   To say he has to work on his accuracy when you've had years to improve accuracy - it's why I prefer the naturally gifted throwers by default.  Less work to be done.  People love those elite physical traits, however.  

Still, we can only get more info this week, so can't wait for Day 2.

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I will say, I would not be surprised if one of Darnold or Rosen was there for us. I could see someone falling in love with Allen. Mayfield too, but Allen has that physical nature that teams salivate over.

I’ve read a few different takes on the QBs and their first day at the Senior Bowl.  Both seemed to be up and down.  Allen made some throws 20-25 yards downfield with such velocity that many in attendance just looked at each other shaking their heads, throws that less than a handful of current NFL QBs could have made with that type velocity.

Also read early on Mayfield seemed to be trying to show he was as talented as Allen.  But once he settled down and started playing his game had a good day.

4 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I will say, I would not be surprised if one of Darnold or Rosen was there for us. I could see someone falling in love with Allen. Mayfield too, but Allen has that physical nature that teams salivate over.

1) I agree I think Darnold goes 1 because well he wants to be there. And he's the best combination of being pro ready yet having a high ceiling in this draft.

2) Josh Allen- I think New York is ideal for him for so many reasons. I don't think New York is ready to wave bye bye to Eli. If they draft a pro ready guy like rosen the pressure to play the rookie magnifies. I also genuinely think Allen with a chance to be groomed can improve and reach his potential.  Much like the mold of a Palmer, Rivers, or Rodgers. I don't think there was ever a plan for Paxton to succeed. All I ever heard was a year or two with a clip board and he'll be great. Never ever any evidence to this. The way Allen is so dedicated to watching film and getting footwork down isn't just player speak.

That leaves us

Two intriguing prospects will be there for the taking. I actually would prefer Allen to Rosen all things being considered I just think long term Allen would be the best qb for us. This franchise wants the pro ready guy though.  Rosen is the most polished pro ready refined qb prospect in this draft. Guy has the highest floor and can sling it. I just have zero confidence in him staying healthy it's scary saying that about a rookie.

Mayfield is the big wild card. I sense the coaching staff has already fell in love with him. Vance wants a guy who loves the game. Baker loves it with a chip on his shoulder the size of Colorado. I think the key for him will be how much improvement does he make this week. If he makes us feel more comfortable with picking him he is the pick. Comfort is a huge thing.

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I’ve read a few different takes on the QBs and their first day at the Senior Bowl.  Both seemed to be up and down.  Allen made some throws 20-25 yards downfield with such velocity that many in attendance just looked at each other shaking their heads, throws that less than a handful of current NFL QBs could have made with that type velocity.

Also read early on Mayfield seemed to be trying to show he was as talented as Allen.  But once he settled down and started playing his game had a good day.

In a nutshell that’s always going to be Allen’s biggest drawing card.  

Jake Locker had a cannon but injuries and poor pocket awareness (which led to higher injury risk) and accuracy did him in.   That’s the floor.  

Allen has the widest spread between ceiling (can make throws few NFL guys can) and floor (complete bust) you can imagine.  The problem as several others alluded to is accuracy issues seldom go away.  

The Allen-to-CLE scenario is very possible given GM Dorsey is there.  He’s already come out stating he will look for more traditional football skills when dismissing the players Sashi Brown selected.   That would be ideal for us.   

Allen fits Wentz’s physical profile and the arm strength is elite. But Wentz was a natural thrower who was accurate whereas that’s Allen’s biggest weakness - such a huge diff.  I just hope the upside allows him to go 1.1.  

Edited by Broncofan

Two intriguing prospects will be there for the taking. I actually would prefer Allen to Rosen all things being considered I just think long term Allen would be the best qb for us.

Why? Mobility? Because his arm is only a degree stronger than Rosen and his football IQ, touch, anticipation, accuracy, throwing form, footwork, etc. are all miles away from Rosen.

We have fallen for this trap twice already with Osweiler and Lynch. But hey why not, maybe third time is the charm right. SMH.

33 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Why? Mobility? Because his arm is only a degree stronger than Rosen and his football IQ, touch, anticipation, accuracy, throwing form, footwork, etc. are all miles away from Rosen.

We have fallen for this trap twice already with Osweiler and Lynch. But hey why not, maybe third time is the charm right. SMH.

Not that I disagree with you.  But Allen physically is quite a bit more talent than the 3 names you mentioned.  His arm is also ridiculous.  It’s literally been the talk of the Senior Bowl about how much velocity and spin he can put on a football, I read a report of one scout saying it was remarkable and he’d never seen anything like it.

Arm strength clearly doesn’t = being a good QB.  But Allen’s physical talent is off the charts, best since Luck (and arm talent wise Allen is better than Luck).  Rosen, Osweiler, and even Lynch aren’t in Allen’s class in any physical attribute.

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Not that I disagree with you.  But Allen physically is quite a bit more talent than the 3 names you mentioned.  His arm is also ridiculous.  It’s literally been the talk of the Senior Bowl about how much velocity and spin he can put on a football, I read a report of one scout saying it was remarkable and he’d never seen anything like it.

Arm strength clearly doesn’t = being a good QB.  But Allen’s physical talent is off the charts, best since Luck (and arm talent wise Allen is better than Luck).  Rosen, Osweiler, and even Lynch aren’t in Allen’s class in any physical attribute.

Huh