Free Agent RBs

Just Want A Title

49 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

If you're laughing at that then I don't know who you were watching this year

I was watching Ameer Abdullah, a guy with average "power", above-average speed, and some of the best short area quickness in the league.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

I was watching Ameer Abdullah, a guy with average "power", above-average speed, and some of the best short area quickness in the league.

I don't see it that way at all. I saw him fail to execute runs to the outside because he couldn't beat linebackers and DEs to the edge on many occasions. I saw him get taken down on first contact constantly. And although he is still capable of making a guy miss now and then, he doesn't have the quickness he did as a rookie and "among the best in the league" is a crazy overstatement, that's my opinion.

I agree Abdullah should prolly be cut or at least be pressed for a spot. He's not great at anything in the NFL, and Riddick is better at what he is good at. I wouldn't cut him now but if Lions bring in a couple solid backs I'd keep Tion Green and Theo Riddick over Ameer Abdullah at this point. If we bring in just one back, I'd keep him around, he's still young and might be more effective with a back up role. Riddick likes to get injured too and RB's get injuries all the time, he's not a bad Swiss army knife to have as a back up imo. Then again, it was pretty noticeable how much more effective Tion Green really was.

IDOG just loved him since the draft so he's bias.

IF I had to pick a RB to sign I'd go after Carlos Hyde but I'm not interested really in paying a RB. I like getting guys fresh out of college cause RB's traditionally just don't last. Hyde is my favorite because he's a bigger back that can wear a defense imo, and can catch out of the backfield which plays into what the Lions already like to do with the RB's.  Even if Lions signed someone like Hyde I'd still draft a RB at some point in the draft.

12 hours ago, Superduperman said:

OK, let me rephrase. Abdullah should be cut because he sucks. He has no speed, no power, and average short-area quickness

Abdullah has talent.. he's just not 'talented'. The difference being is that you can be good at some things and not so good at others. The sum of all these things winding up as talented or not. Abdullah does offer some things and I think would be a good 2nd or 3rd back on a roster in a rotation. We already have that guy in Riddick who is exceptionally better than AA in that role. I also just can't see a guy who is young and a competitor to be cool with being 3rd or 4th on a depth chart. In all likelihood he will not be back with the Lions next season - either through a trade (likely) or cut (not as likely). He's still young, was taken in the 2nd and there were teams that were ticked he was taken by us. If you can get him for a 5th or 6th and you like him, why the heck not.

I like Crowell, 2 years ago he looked good for the browns but this past season it seemed like the browns didn't want to use him or he wa hurt or something.  think him Theo and Green would be good trade AA for something. I also don't think Lewis would come here unless we over pay. he'd prob go with McDaniel's to indy or stay at NE.

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If we brought in Dion Lewis to replace Abdullah, sure. I wouldn't hate a combination of Dion Lewis, Theo Riddick, Jeremy Hill and a drafted guy (Rashaad Penny, Royce Freeman, Kallen Ballage, etc.).

Jeremy Hill isn't that good. Dion Lewis and Ameer Abdullah aren't clones, they can have both on the roster along with Theo Riddick. He wouldn't need to "replace" Abdullah, he would be an addition to the backfield.

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

I had Abdullah ranked lower than where they drafted him. Try knowing what you're talking about. 

I don't really do "rankings" but wanted nothing to do with him before the draft. I figured the pros must have seen something in him that I couldn't. Apparently not.

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

Jeremy Hill isn't that good. Dion Lewis and Ameer Abdullah aren't clones, they can have both on the roster along with Theo Riddick. He wouldn't need to "replace" Abdullah, he would be an addition to the backfield.

If Riddick is your COP/3rd down back, what role do you see DL and AA fitting into?

Archived