2018 NFL Draft General Discussion

JLambert58

I was wondering how important having a high completion percentage in college is.  Obviously, it's a factor.  Out of curiosity I checked the highest completion percentage in college all time and found this:

Rk Player Pct From To School
1 Colt Brennan* 70.39 2005 2007 Hawaii
2 Colt McCoy* 70.33 2006 2009 Texas
3 Kellen Moore* 69.78 2008 2011 Boise State
4 Graham Harrell* 69.77 2005 2008 Texas Tech
5 Brandon Weeden* 69.54 2008 2011 Oklahoma State
6 Case Keenum* 69.36 2007 2011 Houston
7 Chase Holbrook 69.35 2006 2008 New Mexico State
8 Seth Doege* 69.00 2009 2012 Texas Tech
9 Johnny Manziel* 68.95 2012 2013 Texas A&M
10 Brandon Doughty* 68.61 2011 2015 Western Kentucky
11 Baker Mayfield* 68.54 2013 2017 Oklahoma
12 Teddy Bridgewater* 68.39 2011 2013 Louisville
13 Luke Falk* 68.31 2014 2017 Washington State
14 Bruce Gradkowski* 68.21 2002 2005 Toledo
15 David Fales* 68.12 2012 2013 San Jose State
16 Doug Gaynor 68.06 1984 1985 Long Beach State
17 Chase Daniel* 67.99 2005 2008 Missouri
18 Sam Bradford* 67.64 2007 2009 Oklahoma
19 Cody Kessler* 67.49 2012 2015 USC
20 Greg Ward Jr.* 67.45 2013 2016 Housto

Not nearly as good as you would think.  

I like this idea @JLambert58 I'm a big fan of keeping all general draft talk in one area. 

I'm starting to see some ILB's rising up. I'm really liking Rashaan Evans. He seems like a good, tough, smart, tough ILB that we need. I think we need football smarts and playing in a defense like Bama's usually leads to that(not you Rolando McClain). I think he would greatly bolster our defense. 

22 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like this idea @JLambert58 I'm a big fan of keeping all general draft talk in one area. 

I'm starting to see some ILB's rising up. I'm really liking Rashaan Evans. He seems like a good, tough, smart, tough ILB that we need. I think we need football smarts and playing in a defense like Bama's usually leads to that(not you Rolando McClain). I think he would greatly bolster our defense. 

Thanks Mo.  I thought it would keep it tidier.  

Evans is tremendous.  I would absolutely be in favor of taking him at #28.  If he runs fast at the combine, he might go earlier.  But in general ILB is not valued as high as some positions and that might benefit us.  

Not sure why Colbert, Tomlin & the FO never take Bama players, but he'd be a good one to break that tradition on.  

IMHO, Bama defensive front 7 players tend to be maxed out.  Or they have so much support it hides other issues.  Mosley is the only one I can think of that has lived up to the hype.

I personally think Evans will be the pick if he makes it to the Steelers.  I think Harrison could be in the running as well.  I would love Esch.

But as to the accuracy question.  It is very hard to judge on stats an accurate QB.  The spread offense can leave WR very wide open.  You have to watch the games and see how they do with tight windows.  for example, Mayfield looks really good in those posted stats.  I have watched him in games where he struggles to throw into tight coverage.  The Oklahoma St. game this season was a good example.  I think Iowa St was the other.  His OC was so good and he knew the system that he rarely had to throw to Wr that were not wide ( no one within 3 yards) of them.

Luke Fauk is another one on the list who is a system QB.  I like him better than Mayfield because I see him do progressions.

If you get a chance watch some games with Nick Fitzgerald (Miss St.) or Kelly Bryant ( Clemson).  Those two make throws into tight windows.

@jebrick you hit it head on.  These new spread offenses saturate the completion percentage but i like the tight window throws because that is what they will face in the NFL. I don't believe in pro style offense or blah blah translate better to the pro game.

Also, I'm in the minority but I'd draft at least 3 LBs in this draft class.

25 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

@jebrick

Also, I'm in the minority but I'd draft at least 3 LBs in this draft class.

I do not think there are 3 quality ILB to draft.  Most of them are more buck LBs in the 3-4.  240+ and little side to side movement.

Figure you would get one of Smith or Evans or Esch.  Maybe Darius Leonard and Worley ( Ohio St.). Who is another one I like.  At that point you are spending a 1st a 5th and a 6th ( if you are lucky).  I would get a FA LB like Bowman or Demario Davis and draft a ILB in the 1st.

I will say that if the Steelers do not get Evans, Smith or Esch the class gets really thin after that.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I do not think there are 3 quality ILB to draft.  Most of them are more buck LBs in the 3-4.  240+ and little side to side movement.

Figure you would get one of Smith or Evans or Esch.  Maybe Darius Leonard and Worley ( Ohio St.). Who is another one I like.  At that point you are spending a 1st a 5th and a 6th ( if you are lucky).  I would get a FA LB like Bowman or Demario Davis and draft a ILB in the 1st.

I will say that if the Steelers do not get Evans, Smith or Esch the class gets really thin after that.

Marquis Haynes checked in today at 6'2 233 and no player in this draft class has a first step like he does.  He is instant QB pressure.  We still need a cover type and Evans, Nick DeLuca, DJ Calhoun, Edmunds will be a Top 15 selection, and then I'd add a strong edge run defender.  Watt is the only LB I have a lil faith in.  VW is a backup in my eyes.  The rest are ST or Practice Squad types.

So question to all the Vita fans out there:

You say part of the reason our run defense stunk was an inability to take down the runner; so how exactly does Vita fix poor tackling and angles by ILBs, Mitchell, and Davis?

Part of the reason I don’t want Vita is I see those issues of something that will fix the run defense no matter what, Vita doesn’t fix poor tacklers up the middle. 

I could go on much more, but I got to get ready for work. If you want me too I’ll rant more on it and show what I’m talking about and why needing a different NT is an overrated concern. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Penny hurt himself a bit with his inability to catch passes and blitz pickup.  Other than that he is really good at running the ball.

I didn't watch the game, only the highlights, but I did see him catch a 73 yard pass for a TD, that was impressive.  Add another 64 on the ground with a 7.1 yd average per carry which made for a good showing.

Don't know anything about his pass protection but I can imagine not practicing with his teammates for more than a week could have some effect on it. 

3 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

I didn't watch the game, only the highlights, but I did see him catch a 73 yard pass for a TD, that was impressive.  Add another 64 on the ground with a 7.1 yd average per carry which made for a good showing.

Don't know anything about his pass protection but I can imagine not practicing with his teammates for more than a week could have some effect on it. 

Wouldn’t have that big of an effect. 

RB pass pro isn’t that hard. You sit, scan, chip. If you need to take the man I look for technique. Meaning as a RB, do you wait, get low, force the guy down or to jump. 

Most RBs cannot Block man on man. So shoulder chipping and taking them down are the next best. If you can be run though or around and not slow the guy it’s an issue. And from what I saw, that’s what he struggled with. 

I'm of the thinking that we have exactly ONE starting caliber LB on the entire roster with Shazier out.  Watt.  I'd draft 3 as well, if the value presents itself.  Sam Hubbard, Lorenzo Carter, etc, are the type I'd be looking at for OLB opposite Watt.  I like Josey Jewell, but I'd prefer more speed at ILB.  I'm not too enamored with any ILBs that I expect to be available.  I also believe we have ZERO starting quality safeties on the roster.  I don't think there is much in this draft though either.  The Mizzou WR would be a good replacement for Bryant.  Chark?  Western Kentucky's QB looked pretty solid in the senior bowl.  I want Josh Allen if he slides.  He checks every box for me, and he'd have time to develop behind Ben.  Josh Jackson and Isaiah Oliver are 2 more guys I want.  I'm a big proponent of a great secondary and pass coverage, so that's what I look for and those guys have it.  

Unfortunately, when it's all said and done, I think this is a poor draft for LBs and Ss, which are the biggest needs on the team by far.  

Archived