2018 NFL Draft General Discussion

JLambert58

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Wouldn’t have that big of an effect. 

RB pass pro isn’t that hard. You sit, scan, chip. If you need to take the man I look for technique. Meaning as a RB, do you wait, get low, force the guy down or to jump. 

Most RBs cannot Block man on man. So shoulder chipping and taking them down are the next best. If you can be run though or around and not slow the guy it’s an issue. And from what I saw, that’s what he struggled with. 

Having the awareness and feel for the pocket is what I would say is just as important as actual blocking technique.  (though that is important too of course)  Having position is vitally important when we are talking about a bang-bang pass rush.  That's where I see the most egregious fails.  

1 minute ago, JLambert58 said:

Having the awareness and feel for the pocket is what I would say is just as important as actual blocking technique.  (though that is important too of course)  Having position is vitally important when we are talking about a bang-bang pass rush.  That's where I see the most egregious fails.  

Reason I don't have it 50/50 is a good QB can help that RB find where the help is needed.  Yes you need that awareness and all of that, but a good QB will help him key in on where to look.

My go to example for this is down in Atlanta:

~Freeman has great awareness, terrible technique.  He doesn't play many passing downs because he's useless to stay in and block.  He stays too upright and gets ran over.

~Coleman has ok awareness, good technique.  He plays passing downs because Ryan can direct him and help him understand where the protection has to be.  Then Coleman has the ability to get a solid chip, or get down and slow the rusher.

From B/R:

Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State

Penny is a player I really liked on film and expected to see have a big week in Mobile, but he was largely absent in drills on Tuesday and Wednesday. Penny's build is also a small concern given his large, muscular upper body and the lack of lower-body power. He's still a possible mid-rounder, but the traits he showed this week don't match the production he turned in at SDSU.

4 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I didn't watch the game, only the highlights, but I did see him catch a 73 yard pass for a TD, that was impressive.  Add another 64 on the ground with a 7.1 yd average per carry which made for a good showing.

Don't know anything about his pass protection but I can imagine not practicing with his teammates for more than a week could have some effect on it. 

Ironically, I was telling my dad how he wasn't seen as a passing threat (SDSU was a terrible passing team though) and then he makes that nice catch and several nice moves for that TD and didn't even look like he even TRIED.

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

So question to all the Vita fans out there:

You say part of the reason our run defense stunk was an inability to take down the runner; so how exactly does Vita fix poor tackling and angles by ILBs, Mitchell, and Davis?

Part of the reason I don’t want Vita is I see those issues of something that will fix the run defense no matter what, Vita doesn’t fix poor tacklers up the middle. 

I could go on much more, but I got to get ready for work. If you want me too I’ll rant more on it and show what I’m talking about and why needing a different NT is an overrated concern. 

One problem he would not fix is both Dupree and Watt could not hold the edge.  One problem he would fix id that will not be moved and demand a double team.  I think he is a slightly slower Haloti Ngata.

Let me say this for the record...while we have gotten decent to even good players in the draft..but with our defense being our biggest issue, given that we've had no issue trading picks away to get players that have NOT worked (Shamarko Thomas, Justin Gilbert, and what was that attrocious kickers name? lol) maybe it's not the worst idea in the world if the Steelers consider trading up for someone like Rashaan Evans.  I'm not talking going nuts and going up into the Top 5-10 (though to get Evans they might have to) but go up into the Top 15 or around about and get a player that they believe can transform how the defense is playing.  

So we would have a double up the middle but still be bad at setting the edge and tackling. So seems to me even with Vati the same issues exist. 

Considerig the increased 2-4-5 alignment I think a better Buck LB and sure-er tackling from the Mack, FS and SS would do more. 

47 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So we would have a double up the middle but still be bad at setting the edge and tackling. So seems to me even with Vati the same issues exist. 

Considerig the increased 2-4-5 alignment I think a better Buck LB and sure-er tackling from the Mack, FS and SS would do more. 

Well I do think we need a better nose guard I feel like we have to address the linebacker and safety situation first. In the first round I would be absolutely shocked if we don't take a linebacker although safety is a possibility especially if they move up to get a safety like they did with Troy Polamalu. It's not unheard of that we move up it just doesn't happen very often understandably so. I really do feel like maybe as I stated above this might be a draft where maybe we can sit at doing it and getting one or two guys that could definitely improve our team and then getting some Middle Ground guys to help index it's not the perfect situation but you're not going to fix all of your problems in one draft obviously so what we really need out of this draft is to fix our biggest problems

I honestly feel like if you can go into this draft and get one really good inside linebacker one really good safety a mid-round outside linebacker with potential and maybe a mid-to-late round safety again that you at least give yourself a chance to see improved play on the defense. And I wouldn't be upset with an entirely defensive draft

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'm going to make a bold prediction here.  IF we land a Safety in free agency, I'm going to predict (if Rashaan Evans is there at 28) we select an ILB at #28 AND in the 2nd round of the round.

No way do we go two MLBs back to back.  I would love it if the right players are there but that means they have O faith in VW.

50 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

No way do we go two MLBs back to back.  I would love it if the right players are there but that means they have O faith in VW.

Do you? He is nothing more than a backup. We don't necessarily need an OLB, it wouldn't be the first time we went LB back to back (Timmons/Woodley)

Hence my mention of Evans who I view as a very similar player to Timmons. I think he is the best fit for our D.

Having said that, if they Do go ILB then to me, it means 1 of 2 things. Either A) they believe Watt could replace Shaxier or they believe Dupree won't develop.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Do you? He is nothing more than a backup. We don't necessarily need an OLB, it wouldn't be the first time we went LB back to back (Timmons/Woodley)

Hence my mention of Evans who I view as a very similar player to Timmons. I think he is the best fit for our D.

Woodley was drafted as an OLB though. I don't think ILB is big enough a need to go back to back in the 1st two rounds. Even if a safety is landed in F.A. still think there will be a situation where BPA takes precedent. 

Archived