DC, assistant coaches, any ideas?

lioneye22

Anyone have any ideas on what Patricia and Quinn might be thinking to hire a coaching staff?  With several coaches moving on (Austin, Kocurek) and several not being brought back, Sheridan (LB's) Williams (S) and Callahan (QB) who might be targets as replacements?  Any ideas?

One of my growing concerns about Patricia is that his only coaching experience is with the Pats, who are going to be replacing both coordinators. Patricia has a very limited pool of coaches he's familiar with and he's going to be competition with both the Patriots and reportedly the Colts if Josh McDaniels wants to try to pull coaches away from NE as well.

33 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

One of my growing concerns about Patricia is that his only coaching experience is with the Pats, who are going to be replacing both coordinators. Patricia has a very limited pool of coaches he's familiar with and he's going to be competition with both the Patriots and reportedly the Colts if Josh McDaniels wants to try to pull coaches away from NE as well.

A lot of coaches have gone through New England. There are quite a few working for other NFL teams and in college that would have worked for him before. These coaches also study each other by studying the film of the units they coach, they talk in the offseason during the draft process, they share ideas at clinics in the offseason, etc. I don't think Patricia will struggle with finding enough good people to fill out the staff. I do worry that some solid coaches might be let go in favor of people Patricia prefers (although I would bet he knows more than I do when it comes to who is the better fit for his staff).

If there's anything I flat-out buy about Patricia, it's that he's done as much film study as anyone in the NFL over the last several years.

I feel like he's probably got a decent handle on coaches around the league, not only New England. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his coaching hires come out of left field, from places you might not expect.

I saw an article on Bleacher Report that says the Lions are looking at Paul Pasqualoni, current DL Coach for the Boston College Eagles as DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Pasqualoni

He was DC for the Dolphins in 2008 - 2009. He was interim DC after Wade Phillips was fired in 2010. Moved to Connecticut for 2011 season.

If this is the case, there's a couple things it tells us: a) We're moving more towards implementing more 3-4. This is the system that he used in Miami and b) A stronger connection in the first round for us would be Harold Landry, OLB/DE, Boston College.

If the guy is talented enough to be taken in that spot and then you throw in familiarity between the coach and the scheme, it just makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Rockcity2 said:

Where does ansah fit in a base 3/4 defense 

I know he play end at college but I can't see him getting dbl digit sacks as a five..

Starting to think he might get traded

@IDOG_det had a really good breakdown in another post. I think this was more of the Texans'/Vrabel defense but he is of the same school so it likely wouldn't be much different. His role would not change a whole lot. Whether he gets traded likely has more to do with his willingness to re-sign here at an acceptable contract as opposed to scheme fit.

If Pasqualoni is the DC, it's a pretty predictable move. Get a longtime veteran, a guy who Patricia has a long relationship with, who has head coaching experience and can offer advice on that, but an older guy who will be there for a short period until Patricia can bring up another version of himself. It's a sensible move. The defense will be on Patricia for the first few years (if he makes it longer than that) no matter who he hires.

I'm guessing Quinn and Patricia have staffing plans in place.  McDaniels is having a " 2nd interview" with the Colts today or tomorrow.   Most of the insiders say it's to begin determining staff.  I would hope that Quinn and Patricia would have done the same, if it was necessary.  Wish NFL would at least allow the announcement of the new HC during the off week,  even if you can't have the press conference until after the SB.  That way a team hiring a SB coach is penalized for making the choice.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, Rockcity2 said:

Where does ansah fit in a base 3/4 defense 

I know he play end at college but I can't see him getting dbl digit sacks as a five..

Starting to think he might get traded

Ansah is a free agent. We just wouldn't re-sign him and use the money to add to the defense in other areas.

A'Shawn could play NT in a 3-4, and Jarrad Davis could play MLB in a 3-4. I really like LBer becomes a greater need if we switch defenses.

6 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Ansah is a free agent. We just wouldn't re-sign him and use the money to add to the defense in other areas.

A'Shawn could play NT in a 3-4, and Jarrad Davis could play MLB in a 3-4. I really like LBer becomes a greater need if we switch defenses.

I'm just not feeling it

Don't really like the thought of Davis as a ilb in that D 

And have my doubts about ashawn at nose

You need specific pieces too run that type of d..to much maybe

But guess we will see how it goes

Archived