Chess

6 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Teach me your ways. I’m better than my friends though and i guess that’s all that really matters lol.

Im joking about being great. I've only lost a handful of times but I wouldn't say I'm great. 

For the most part, I'd say:

-be smart with your Queen 

-be smart with pawns (crossing the board enables them to become a queen)

-don't be reckless, think your moves out many moves in advance 

-practice makes perfect. Play online against the CPU

I like to set up my pawns in a crisscross pattern to start games for the most part. One goes two spots forward to start, its neighboring piece 1 spot, then 2, then 1, etc

also smart to make your opponent think you're going for one piece so they leave another unguarded 

also checking the king can potentially force the other player to sacrifice a key piece like their queen, which is nice. 

Sorry if my advice sucks, it'd be better if I was just answering questions or actually watching someone play and coaching them lol

I've been playing on and off for the past 25 yeras, since I was 8, with varying levels of dedication to improving.  My suggestio is if you really want to improve look to get a few books on chess strategy and read them.  Things like spacing, when and why you should look to control the center, when you and why you want to give it away, pins, forks, late game king & Pawn vs King strategies, etc are all things that become more important as you play with better and better people.

For strategies, I personally like the Bishop opening for white and the Scandinavian for black.

On 1/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, Tyty said:

Lol I downloaded a chess app and it's been so long since I last played that I'm super rusty and awful

This is what I realized as well when I played Chess on an international flight recently.  I am awful and have zero strategy anymore on what pieces to move...

The Chess.com app is great for online play and has a really good tactics drill built in and lessonsand keeps a ranking. The free version limits you to so many per day though. I do 20-30 of those drills a day and it's really upped my gameplay. My W/L isn't that great. Above .500 but not by much. Rating around 1420. One thing about online apps though... I'm always weary when the other dude is pulling off masterful strategies against me. It's just so easy to cheat when you have 24 hours to make a move. There's even sites that you can upload your game too and basically tells you the next move to make. That's weaksauce. But whatevs when I lose I run the analyzer and it tells me all the mistakes I made and what moves I should have made instead. It's like the stock market... I try and learn from every loss.

If anyone else has that app and wants to play send me a PM and we'll have a nice friendly game B|

3 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

The Chess.com app is great for online play and has a really good tactics drill built in and lessonsand keeps a ranking. The free version limits you to so many per day though. I do 20-30 of those drills a day and it's really upped my gameplay. My W/L isn't that great. Above .500 but not by much. Rating around 1420. One thing about online apps though... I'm always weary when the other dude is pulling off masterful strategies against me. It's just so easy to cheat when you have 24 hours to make a move. There's even sites that you can upload your game too and basically tells you the next move to make. That's weaksauce. But whatevs when I lose I run the analyzer and it tells me all the mistakes I made and what moves I should have made instead. It's like the stock market... I try and learn from every loss.

If anyone else has that app and wants to play send me a PM and we'll have a nice friendly game B|

I play the 5 minute game. No time for 24 hour games lol

I have actively been trying to improve in chess over the past couple years.  I'm somewhere between a 1400 and 1599 right now.  I have a cousin who is easily at a master rating and could probably compete internationally.  I will never be that good, and that kind of future moves thinking is just something you have to be born with I think.  If I spent an hour on each move contemplating every possible outcome, he'd still destroy me.  That's why chess gets so disheartening at times.  It's the type of game where you can be so fully and completely outmatched by somebody before the game even begins that you have, essentially, no shot. 

I still like to be able to beat the majority of people I play.  Can't always beat regular players, but I can hold my own, not make major mistakes, and I can beat almost any casual player I know.  I'm content with that. 

Archived