Not Unexpected: Joe Thomas' Harsh & Positive Insights in SI for the FO/Owner & Argument Against Fire Hue-ism

Mind Character

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/23/cleveland-browns-hue-jackson-head-coach

I know everyone will belittle Joe's take as simply "Joe's a lovable meathead football player who loves every coach what'd you expect him to say..." OR "I love Joe the player, but he's loyal to a fault and doesn't know what he's talking about..." OR even "Joe's just suffering from Sports Stockholm Syndrome..."

While there's a lot of optimistic words and positive evaluation of the rebuild plan as one that is likely to lead to sustainable winning/succes, all in all, Joe sounds like a man fed up and worn down (rightfully so) with the organization, and ultimately sounds like a man ready to retire.

Many of his points in the article have been made on this forum before with the response always being "Hueball....Fire Hue."

in the end, it's our job as followers of his career to let those that follow us now how amazing of a football player he was during the sh*ttiest of times.

Agree or disagree with his take...he's a smart guy who gave the Browns everything he had.

------------

I for one think this article will shortly be followed by his announcement of retirement which of course will be followed by fan derping "If he really liked Hue...then why retire..."

I don't think he has the stomach for the game on the Browns anymore. I wish him a great retirement.

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m glad the players support Hue, he’s seemingly a great guy by all reports, but he played a part in his record whether he, or Joe Thomas, want to admit it.

Hopefully 2018 will be better.

Of course Hue played a part in the record..there's no one on the planet that argues that he didn't (Not Joe or anyone else).....And it's an oversimplification of Joe to think he's not smart enough or as a human his thoughts are not complex and nuanced enough so he denies and won't admit that Hue made many many mistakes and played a role in the record.

Things are not bipolar...good or bad....Hue's the worst/fire him or Hue's the best/keep him.

Too many people generalize any statement that's not extremely negative about Hue or blaming him as some dramatic endorsement of Hue's perfection and positivity along with a denial of reality.  That's just not the case as things aren't black and white to some. Of course, most see it the one way and one way only.

Joe is not an idiot. The general point is that there are those that see that Hue and co. made many critical mistakes and played a negative part in the record AND that the context in which he worked was so problematic that he should be given a shot to play the game with a better hand.

It also sounds like he is saying from the last paragraph that he is indeed a supporter of signing a good veteran QB given the cap space and quick turnaround it could provide.

I don't know if that was a nudge to the front office or not but either way he is speaking recently as a guy who is no longer on the team and getting a jump on his media career.

Hopefully he sticks it out one or two more seasons if we get a good QB but it surely sounds like a guy with one foot out the door.

25 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Of course Hue played a part in the record..there's no one on the planet that argues that he didn't (Not Joe or anyone else).....And it's an oversimplification of Joe to think he's not smart enough or as a human his thoughts are not complex and nuanced enough so he denies and won't admit that Hue made many many mistakes and played a role in the record.

Things are not bipolar...good or bad....Hue's the worst/fire him or Hue's the best/keep him.

Too many people generalize any statement that's not extremely negative about Hue or blaming him as some dramatic endorsement of Hue's perfection and positivity along with a denial of reality.  That's just not the case as things aren't black and white to some. Of course, most see it the one way and one way only.

Joe is not an idiot. The general point is that there are those that see that Hue and co. made many critical mistakes and played a negative part in the record AND that the context in which he worked was so problematic that he should be given a shot to play the game with a better hand.

Who’s saying Joe Thomas isn’t smart enough to have an opinion?

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

i agree

nuance is lost in walls of text

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You would derp about that LGB....

What's funny to me is I wouldn't have expected any other responses to me, and what's even funnier is that one can't really have nuance without elaboration via text or words...lol

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who’s saying Joe Thomas isn’t smart enough to have an opinion?

I interpreted your point " but he played a part in his record whether he, or Joe Thomas, want to admit it." as "Joe's point shows that he simply can't admit to himself the reality of things that he knows to be true but won't admit for various reasons one of which could be he's not smart enough...:

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

You would derp about that LGB....

What's funny to me is I wouldn't have expected any other responses to me, and what's even funnier is that one can't really have nuance without elaboration via text or words...lol

brevity is the soul of wit or somethign like that

Archived