Last January Mock Offseason

WindyCity

Releases/Not Re-signed

QB Mike Glennon [11.5 million]-A complete failure of a free agent signing.
TE Dion Sims [4.5 million]-He has been mediocre at catching and blocking and there is an out in his contract
WR Markus Wheaton [5 million]-Has done nothing and been injured and an easy one to move on from
LB Jerrel Freeman[3.5 million]-Younger players took his job. He can still play, but you do not keep a 32 year old guy when you have young guys ready to play
LB Pernell McPhee [7 million]-injuries and a big contract
LB Willie Young [4.5 million]-injuries and age
CB Marcus Cooper [4.5 million]-has been a bust and I would rather keep Prince
C Hroniss Grasu [800k]-he sucks
FB- Michael Burton [700k]-he sucks as well
OT Bradley Sowell
OT Tom Compton

Re-signings/Extensions

Eddie Goldman 5 years 43.5 million/26 guaranteed

New Money: 4 years 42 million/26 guaranteed
Old Money: 1 year 1.5 million

CB Kyle Fuller 4 years 42 million/20 guaranteed [12]
CB Prince Amukamara 3 years 21 million/10 guaranteed [5]
LB Christian Jones 3 years 9 million/4 guaranteed [3]
P Pat O'Donnell 4 years 12 million/5 guaranteed [3]
QB Mark Sanchez 2 years 5 million/2 guaranteed [2]
CB Sherrick McManis 2 years 4 million/.5 guaranteed [1.5]
DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 4.5 million/1.5 guaranteed [2.5]
RB Benny Cunningham 1 year 1.2 million/200k guaranteed [1.2]

RFA

WR Cam Meredith 2.4 million [2nd round tender]
CB Bryce Callahan 2.4 mllion [2nd round tender]
TE Daniel Brown 750K [Original Round] 

Free Agents

OLB Marquis Flowers [New England] 4 years 34 million/14 guaranteed Jabaal Sheard

Flowers is enjoying a break out campaign for the Patriots playing in a rotation after a trade from the Bengals. Flowers had 3.5 sacks during the regular season and has added another 2 sacks in the post season. He has good size at 6'3" 250lbs and at 25 he seems like he still has room to grow into the spot. Flowers fits the bill of Pace looking for upside and someone who can be better in Chicago than they were elsewhere.

Tyrod+Taylor+Marquis+Flowers+Buffalo+Bil

TE Trey Burton [Philadelphia] 4 years 28 million/12 guaranteed Dion Sims

The Chiefs targeted their TEs 157 times last season and while I do not expect that the Bears will target their young TEs that much, I expect they will remain a feature of the passing game. The Bears do not have Travis Kelce, so I think a more equitable split between the #1 TE and #2 TE should be a priority. The Bears need to find someone who can stretch the field in the seam and run some of the deeper outbreaking routes that Kelce runs. Burton is not Kelce's size, Kelce is a freak, but he has the 4.6 speed that can be used on some of these routes and he provides a little more explosive option to the overwhelming size of Shaheen.

090115_trey-burton_600.jpg

WR Albert Wilson [Kansas City] 4 years 20 million/8 guaranteed Torrey Smith

Wilson makes a ton of sense, he adds speed, and a slot WR that knows the offense and can help teach it to the WR room. Wilson average 13 yards per catch from the slot, which is a tremendous number. The Bears could sign a more established outside WR, but I worry that you are going to way overspend, in a draft where the strength of the draft is WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Wilson gives the Bears someone who can catch 50 passes and has some big play ability in the slot.

010715-AlbertWilson-Image.jpg

OG Zach Fulton [Kansas City] 3 years 12 million/5 guaranteed Ted Larsen

Fulton has started a number of games for the Chiefs at both OGs and C. He is versatile and has been reliable for the Chiefs. He may not be a dominant starter and may be best as a swing guy, but with the health issues on the interior of the line the Bears need someone to fill that role even if they over pay a little. Long isn't ready for camp, Fulton plays RG. Whitehair gets injured or struggles with the snaps, Fulton can step in at C. Sitton gets injured again, Fulton plays LG. This ensures they have a quality player as super insurance.

062317-fulton-image.jpg

WR Brice Butler [Dallas] 3 years 9 million/3 guaranteed [Russell Sheppard]

Bypassing the top outside WRs the Bears can cycle back and get a player who has flashed and has incredible physical tools. Butler is 6'3", 220lbs, and ran a 4.35. He has been a deadly deep threat in limited action for the Cowboys twice averring over 21 yard per catch. Once the WRs are done being tagged and re-signed I am not sure the group is going to have the top option that the Bears want.

503283108.jpg

OLB Aaron Lynch [San Francisco] 2 years 4 million/1 guaranteed [3 million/yearly bonuses] Alex Okafor

A Fangio reclamation project. When Fangio was in SF, Lynch looked like a 5th round steal and an OLB that could be a starter for a long time and then as the coaching staff changed he seems to have fallen through the cracks. Lynch has all the physical tools that the Bears could want and they can take a low risk flyer on him and see if they can develop him into a contributor.

6_3705641.jpg

K Graham Gano [Carolina] 3 years 10.5 million/4 guaranteed Phil Dawson

The Robbie Gould release has blown up in Ryan Pace's fave spectacularly and he needs to sign a no doubt veteran to fill the spot and stop the pathetic performance. Santos just cannot stay healthy. Gano has a big leg and should be able to handle the wind and elements at Soldier Field. He has a proven track record of success and should provide a professional who can do the job.

Graham_Gano_Panthers_Contract_Four_Years

Draft

1[8] OLB Marcus Davenport [Texas San Antonio] 6'6" 259lbs, 34" arms

The Bears need an edge defender to put across from Leonard Floyd and they need someone with the pass rush upside that Ealy lacks. Davenport has all the physical tools to be a big time pass rusher. He is tall, long, athletic, and has an incredible motor. Ryan Pace has shown his preference for big time athletes in the 1st round and Fangio has always preferred long edge rushers. Pace has also shown that he is not afraid of smaller school players, after drafting a number of them last season. Davenport could have a big week at the Senior Bowl and cement himself in the top 1/2 of round 1. Davenport had 8.5 sacks this season [1 game was cancelled], if you look at his performances against power 5 competition he had 3 tackles and 1 sacks against Baylor and 11 tackles and 1 sack against Texas A&M. With the signing of Flowers, Davenport does not need to play immediately and can be worked into the rotation as he develops.

davenport_marcus_CP.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[39] to the Bengals for 2[46] and a 4th round pick. The 2nd round trade down has almost become a Ryan Pace tradition at this point. The Bears need to recoup some picks and add an entire layer of worthwhile developmental depth. Nothing worse than playing a bad older player, you get nothing from that.

2[46] WR Anthony Miller [Memphis] 5'11" 195lbs.

The system that Nagy comes from emphasizes the ability to push the defense downfield and to make big plays on short quick throws. Miller has the speed and big play ability that the Bears want and he can play on the outside. Miller has really impressive ability to track and extend for deep passes and had 15 yards per catch. Miller had 11 games where he had a 20 yard catch and added catches of 89, 68, and 52 yards. Miller adds the deep speed outside across from Meredith and with Wilson in the slot. Miller should be able to step in and get 50 targets as a rookie even if he runs a smaller route tree than a veteran WR.

AnthonyMillerDraftHub.jpg

4. OT Brandon Parker  [NC A&T] 6'7" 302lbs.

There are 2 factors in play with this pick. The first is that Ryan Pace comes from New Orleans were they routinely used mid round picks on big small school OLmen to develop. They found starters like Jahri Evans, Jermon Bushrod, and Terron Armstead from smaller schools. The second is that the Bears need depth on the OL and in Kansas City they drafted taller OTs and converted them to OG. Cappa should develop and compete at RT, but he can also be used at OG if OT does not click for him. Parker has exceptional size and athletic ability and will be an interesting player to watch at the Senior Bowl. With Harry Hiestand in the fold the Bears should gamble on physical upside because they have one of the best technique teachers in the nation running their OL. The Bears spent some serious time on this campus last season.

parker-400x400.jpg

4. WR Daesean Hamilton [Penn St] 6'1" 202lbs.

Ryan Pace has shown that he will double dip at a position of extreme need and hope to get at least 1 contributor from the picks. The Bears are in desperate need of WRs and they need options. Hamilton had a very strong Shrine Game week and showed a skill that the Bears new offense requires, the ability to run after the catch. The Chiefs lead the league in short passes, but there outside WRs average 15 YPC and their slot WR averages 13. YPC. This is because they all can run after the catch and create big plays in space. Hamilton has the size to create plays, but he also has the RB build to survive the crossing routes and the drag routes that are required from the WR position. This season he averaged 16 yards per catch and was able to generate plays downfield.

AP-090815-600-daesean-hamilton.jpg

4. CB Jordan Wyatt [SMU] 6' 195lbs.

The Bears need outside depth at CB and someone that can be developed behind Prince. Wyatt has the size and athletic ability to provide that depth and with Ed Donatel coaching him I expect him to make major strides early. Wyatt most importantly has the ball skills that the Bears have lacked. He has 4 interceptions this season and returned 2 of them for scores. Wyatt allows the Bears to keep Callahan and Leblanc inside and with how bad Cooper was last season, even if Wyatt makes rookie mistakes he will provide and upgrade over Cooper.

Jordan+Wyatt+North+Texas+v+SMU+Y4QBH1JAG

5. NT Khalil McKenzie [Tennessee] 6'4" 325lbs.

Hicks and Goldman played way too many snaps and the Bears need to continue to develop young guys who can play in the rotation to keep the top guys fresh. McKenzie was a surprise entry and he has largely been more hype that production to this point, but he has incredible physical tools that can be developed. McKenzie has elite size and has more athletic ability than you expect, but he needs better pad level and technique and to develop some consistency. The Bears have had success developing young DLmen even someone like Hicks who was considered an underachiever in New Orleans. McKenzie gives the Bears someone who can play 10-15 reps and has more upside than John Jenkins who is a place holder at best.

6_7616684.JPG

6. QB Mike White [Western Kentucky] 6'4" 226lbs.

You have a GM that wants to draft a QB every season, you have created a QB incubator, so why not put another young QB into the incubator and see what happens. White has the physical tools, he is big and can sling the ball, but he is going to need a lot of the work on his basics and since Mitch is doing the same drills it is the right time. 6th round picks are not going to often add a lot to the team so you might as well work with some upside.

wku-mike-white.jpeg

7. RB Darrell Williams [LSU] 6' 235lbs

Williams is a big bruising back from a big bruising conference and he should be able to fill in for Howard on short yardage and if there is an injury. Williams has the build and power to match the style of Howard. Williams also has suprising hands for a big back. He had 330 yards receiving this season including a 100 yard game. In the meantime, he gives Chris Tabor a big bodied special teamer.

darrel-williams-536b2212b0021c1d.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Sanchez, White
RB: Howard, Cohen, Williams, Cunningham
WR: Meredith, Miller, Wilson, Butler, Hamilton, White
TE: Shaheen, Burton, Brown
LT: Leno, Parker
LG: Sitton, Fulton
C: Whithair, Kush
RG: Long, Morgan
RT: Massie

RE: Bullard/Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, McKenzie
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Lynch
ILB: Kwaitowski, Jones
ILB: Trevathan, Timu
OLB: Flowers, Davenport, Irving
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Wyatt, Callahan, Leblanc, McManis
SS: Amos, Hall/Bush
FS: Jackson, Demps

Overall very good plan. Checked all the boxes.  I am not peachy seeing Massie is still the starter. But if Parker can grow into a starter grade ROT within a year, we are ahead of the game.

Way way too much money on Flowers…I like the guy but he is a piece of the puzzle not a star pass rushers so I wouldn’t be paying him $8.5 a year…overpaying Burton as well IMO…like Wlson, Butler & Lynch…

Davenport is a guy I have liked for a long time but I still don’t see him as the 8th overall pick in this draft…I don’t think he separates himself from the likes of Hubbard who could be there at the top of the 2nd…not even sure I take him before Key…if we could move down a bit and pick him up I would be happy…Miller isn’t may favourite potential 2nd round WR but he is a good option…Parker would be an okay pick up but there are OTs I like more in that range…Hamilton is a solid pick up…I really like your later round guys in Wyatt, McKenzie…really love White and Williams…

Just a heads up you have my guy Cappa on your depth chart instead of Parker.

43 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Way way too much money on Flowers…I like the guy but he is a piece of the puzzle not a star pass rushers so I wouldn’t be paying him $8.5 a year…overpaying Burton as well IMO…like Wlson, Butler & Lynch…

Davenport is a guy I have liked for a long time but I still don’t see him as the 8th overall pick in this draft…I don’t think he separates himself from the likes of Hubbard who could be there at the top of the 2nd…not even sure I take him before Key…if we could move down a bit and pick him up I would be happy…Miller isn’t may favourite potential 2nd round WR but he is a good option…Parker would be an okay pick up but there are OTs I like more in that range…Hamilton is a solid pick up…I really like your later round guys in Wyatt, McKenzie…really love White and Williams…

Just a heads up you have my guy Cappa on your depth chart instead of Parker.

I switched it. After today it seems like Cappa in the 4th round will Ben a Dream.

The free agent spending is about where they will end up. There is so much money in the market.

Burton is not taking less than Dion Sims last season.

Flowers might be a little high, but a lack of talent at the position, and I don’t think he is crazy asking for Jabaal Sheard money.

2 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

Nice work as always.  Love parts of it you lost me at Bobby Massie is our starting RT

I think you can seriously upgrade 2 positions, but you have to pick

OLB

WR

OL

I just don’t see how they will add premium guys in 3 spots with 2 premium picks. Take a OT at 39 and now you are adding 4th round WRs.

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think you can seriously upgrade 2 positions, but you have to pick

OLB

WR

OL

I just don’t see how they will add premium guys in 3 spots with 2 premium picks. Take a OT at 39 and now you are adding 4th round WRs.

flip the 2nd and 4th position wise I'd be a happier bears fan.  If leno goes down this team would be in a world of hurt

Overall I like the idea however I think with an FA haul of Flowers and Lynch that OLB may not be as pressing of a need at #8 after all.

Whoever the Bears take at 8 is going to be expected to play right away so theoretically they shouldn't be signing guys to big money contracts in FA to compete with their number 1 draft pick.

If they do end up going with Daenport there then I think it would make more sense to sign an under the radar guy at OLB who might not fetch as much and who will provide solid depth.  I'm thinking a guy like Jeremiah Attaochu of the Chargers.

17 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Overall I like the idea however I think with an FA haul of Flowers and Lynch that OLB may not be as pressing of a need at #8 after all.

Whoever the Bears take at 8 is going to be expected to play right away so theoretically they shouldn't be signing guys to big money contracts in FA to compete with their number 1 draft pick.

If they do end up going with Daenport there then I think it would make more sense to sign an under the radar guy at OLB who might not fetch as much and who will provide solid depth.  I'm thinking a guy like Jeremiah Attaochu of the Chargers.

You are going to play 3 OLBs enough each game to make it worth while.

You can never have too much pass rush. The nice part of Flowers is he can also play off the ball and in coverage.

I like the draft but I’m not thrilled with the FA. You are giving Flowers a lot of money based on basically one game. I like him but don’t think he’ll fetch anything like that contract unless he puts up an MVP-like performance in the SB. Aaron Lynch doesn’t do anything for me. Also, I don’t think Pace is giving Burton 4/28 after just drafting Shaheen high last year. I like Burton a lot, but don’t see it. I think we replace Sims with a different guy but not Burton  

As for Wilson, you list Torrey Smith as a comp and I don’t know if that’s meant to be a player comp or contract comp. Smith’s contract with the Eagles had $500k guaranteed. You’re giving Wilson $8M guaranteed here, and he’s a lesser player IMO. There’s value in knowing Nagy’s offense but not to that extent. 

Can anyone name a veteran qb that might be familiar with Nagy that can actually play if needed? I know Butt fumble is a good qb rook tupe of guy but if Mitch were to miss a few games it would be nice to have a chance to still win. 

14 minutes ago, Pdogg said:

Can anyone name a veteran qb that might be familiar with Nagy that can actually play if needed? I know Butt fumble is a good qb rook tupe of guy but if Mitch were to miss a few games it would be nice to have a chance to still win. 

Chase Daniel

Archived