Trade for Brown

Alex

Jatavis Brown, 5'11" 223 lbs. Akron. ILB.

img25351222.jpg

Remember him? We hyped him up and wanted him but we got J. Hawkins instead of him and by the time we rolled into our next pick he was gone. He's currently an inside linebacker for San Diego Chargers.

Jatavis-Brown.jpg

Why I'm bringing him up, the Chargers went through a scheme change last year, from 3-4 to 4-3. When Brown was an ILB for the 3-4 he was actually good. Now, he's not a right fit.

I have shared my feelings about getting an ILB in this draft, I don't feel good about it. Don't see anybody who could be an improvement, the best ILB available will go in top-10. The rest is... Eh, I don't see any good value or somebody who can step in right away, at least not over Jatavis Brown or somebody who can be a huge upgrade over Vince Williams.

So, my proposal is... Trade Matavius Bryant for Jatavis Brown (I see the rhyme in their first names) the Chargers probably will let Travis Benjamin walk and trading Bryant to them would fit their preferences for the vertical game, while we can get Jatavis Brown and draft a receiver (we are already likely to do this anyway).

So, the question is...

Would you? If so, for what (pick/player)? 

Bryant has more value to the Steelers as the 3rd WR than what they would get back in a trade...especially since he’s in last year of deal going into 2018.

Another aspect is with Eli out to start next year, the Steelers don’t have a #4 WR right now. Trading Bryant just creates another hole.

18 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

No.  There are plenty LBs in this draft who are as good or better than Brown.  There are some quality 230s range MLBs in this draft that are perfect fits for the Steelers.

You would rather a rookie starting on this defense over a proven veteran? Cause, honestly...

26 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

He barely has a years worth of experience.  Also, switching to a 43 doesn't diminish his worth to the team.

You would think except:

1). During his rookie year he was the #2 best rookie linebacker behind Deion Buchanan.

2). He was benched in his second season, they admitted it was a bad fit.

3). Chargers fans have said they like Brown but thinks they should trade him. Which bring me to...

Hence the post.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

You would think except:

1). During his rookie year he was the #2 best rookie linebacker behind Deion Buchanan.

2). He was benched in his second season, they admitted it was a bad fit.

3). Chargers fans have said they like Brown but thinks they should trade him. Which bring me to...

Hence the post.

The coaches said he is a bad fit?  Oh wow.  I still wouldn't trade Bryant for him.

I won't pretend to be an expert on this particular player. But these are the sorts of moves the Steelers should explore more. They want to go all cheap on the defense right now. The tide has only started to shift slightly. They've adopted the approach of paying 'stars' (this is a major Tombert flaw - they're scared of letting guys walk) who are almost always homegrown. But they don't do enough to find the depth throughout the rest of the roster.

You won't win a Super Bowl that way. It's the Bill Polian roster management style, and we see the results every year. Belichick has a nice advantage in that his QB takes less, but he also knows that he doesn't need to overpay for luxury items. And some of the salaries the Steelers have dished out are luxury items. Look how much is invested in the OL. And the DL at this point (a unit that is one likely injury from not being what is is billed at). We talk a lot about Munchack. So, tell me...you have this great OL coach...why are we investing like $60 million in that unit if we have this great OL coach who can turn **** into gold? At what point does that stop making sense? But every player on that OL is in their second contract. They are hardly the biggest problem, but it's another example of how dumb this organization is and how it fails to maximize its resources. We should be able to spend a few midround picks on the OL and/or sign a few middling veterans and get extra value out of them. Finney is already starter capable. Hell, Hubbard looked starter capable most of the time. But here we are investing millions in guys to play ahead of them while the defense is making do with contract 1 guys who aren't even always that talented.

A lot has been made of  Belichick's approach to draft day being quantity over quality (as in, premium picks). But more than that, he's always adopted the approach of taking known quantities on his roster over unknowns. AS in, vets over rookies. The Steelers are always in this slow cooker mode that keeps them consistently competitive, but it isn't enough to push them over the top. And the killer B's aren't enough, though they will soon consume an even larger portion of the salary cap. Closer to a third. Almost a quarter. Three guys don't win it all for you no matter how good.

Final note - Steelers used to be knocked as being cheap. Which they sort of were. But they basically were the ones who laid down the blueprint for Belichick. He always cited the Steelers early on his career for being willing to let go of guys too soon rather than too late. Always set a price point and if the player won't come to terms, walk. It's sort of ironic. When Belichick became a coach, he said the Steelers were one of his top models. Now we have fans telling us that the Steelers can't be expected to even be remotely competitive with him. It makes us "spoiled." No. It's just pathetic that a braintrust with this much job security can't even consistently put itself in a position to compete with the Patriots. From the FO to the coaching. Though the larger portion is still really coaching.

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

I won't pretend to be an expert on this particular player. But these are the sorts of moves the Steelers should explore more. They want to go all cheap on the defense right now. The tide has only started to shift slightly. They've adopted the approach of paying 'stars' (this is a major Tombert flaw - they're scared of letting guys walk) who are almost always homegrown. But they don't do enough to find the depth throughout the rest of the roster.

You won't win a Super Bowl that way. It's the Bill Polian roster management style, and we see the results every year. Belichick has a nice advantage in that his QB takes less, but he also knows that he doesn't need to overpay for luxury items. And some of the salaries the Steelers have dished out are luxury items. Look how much is invested in the OL. And the DL at this point (a unit that is one likely injury from not being what is is billed at). We talk a lot about Munchack. So, tell me...you have this great OL coach...why are we investing like $60 million in that unit if we have this great OL coach who can turn **** into gold? At what point does that stop making sense? But every player on that OL is in their second contract. They are hardly the biggest problem, but it's another example of how dumb this organization is and how it fails to maximize its resources. We should be able to spend a few midround picks on the OL and/or sign a few middling veterans and get extra value out of them. Finney is already starter capable. Hell, Hubbard looked starter capable most of the time. But here we are investing millions in guys to play ahead of them while the defense is making do with contract 1 guys who aren't even always that talented.

A lot has been made of  Belichick's approach to draft day being quantity over quality (as in, premium picks). But more than that, he's always adopted the approach of taking known quantities on his roster over unknowns. AS in, vets over rookies. The Steelers are always in this slow cooker mode that keeps them consistently competitive, but it isn't enough to push them over the top. And the killer B's aren't enough, though they will soon consume an even larger portion of the salary cap. Closer to a third. Almost a quarter. Three guys don't win it all for you no matter how good.

Final note - Steelers used to be knocked as being cheap. Which they sort of were. But they basically were the ones who laid down the blueprint for Belichick. He always cited the Steelers early on his career for being willing to let go of guys too soon rather than too late. Always set a price point and if the player won't come to terms, walk. It's sort of ironic. When Belichick became a coach, he said the Steelers were one of his top models. Now we have fans telling us that the Steelers can't be expected to even be remotely competitive with him. It makes us "spoiled." No. It's just pathetic that a braintrust with this much job security can't even consistently put itself in a position to compete with the Patriots. From the FO to the coaching. Though the larger portion is still really coaching.

I'm not sure I see it that way. They've spent more picks on Defense than on Offense. The Offensive players have just panned out better therefore have gotten the bigger contracts. That's a FO/Scouting issue. They've never been a player in FA and the ones they do sign are Mid-Tier players. We all know that. I do agree they could change there strategy a bit and explore other ways of getting solid Vets or even a big name FA here and there. However, I think they've done a fairly good job of not overpaying "stars". They didn't cave with Bell or Timmons amongst others. I'm not sure who you feel is getting overpaid. Maybe Pouncey. Who else? 

On 1/24/2018 at 12:04 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

When I saw "Trade for Brown", I automatically thought it was a chrissyororke mock where we traded Antonio Brown for Von Miller and a bag of Werthers Originals.  .

Unsure if that was a compliment toward my click bait B|

Joking aside, what do you say, nay or go for it? Do you guys feel like he could help? 

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Unsure if that was a compliment toward my click bait B|

Joking aside, what do you say, nay or go for it? Do you guys feel like he could help? 

Long time members know chrisororke and his incredibly realistic mock drafts.   

In regards to the topic....2 things....

1) I seriously doubt they will be willing to part with a promising young player so soon.   Even if he had some struggles in the new scheme, I think they will still give him a chance.

2) Even if they were willing to trade him, I doubt they would trade him for Bryant.    They have a pretty good WR corps as is (including the WR they just drafted 7th overall), and Bryant is going into the final year of his contract and is going to demand huge money that I doubt the Chargers would pay.   Not to mention his off field issues...

I doubt the front office moves Bryant, but if they did, the best suitors would be WR needy teams that have alot of cap room to potentially resign him long term, like the 49ers or Bears.  

1. Jatavis Brown has good speed and coverage abilities.  He actually could be a very good fit for our team.  Given that the Chargers have admitted however that he isn't a good fit for their team, I'm curious if he might end up ultimately being a cap casualty and be available in free agency.

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:
  1. Jatavis Brown has good speed and coverage abilities.  He actually could be a very good fit for our team.  Given that the Chargers have admitted however that he isn't a good fit for their team, I'm curious if he might end up ultimately being a cap casualty and be available in free agency.

I have a feeling we will be able to grab one of these cap casualties this year. I have no proof that there will be any ILBs that are worth much who'll get cut but I have a feeling some might be. Maybe Sean Lee?

Archived